Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2024, 16:39   #1

Use PTFE/Teflon tape on Quick B3 Boiler replament element threads or not?

Should you use PTFE/Teflon tape on Quick B3 Boiler replament element threads or not?

Anyone have a definitive answer on this? I couldn't find anything in the manual/on Quick's site.

I replaced the element on my Quick B3 40L about a week ago, and it worked fine - using AC power to heat the water.

Today I moved the boat for the first time and found after an hour or two that the boiler was leaking at the element.

I'm going to take it apart and try again - but I had used Teflon tape on the threads when I installed it, and am curious if that could be my problem?
Old 10-02-2024, 17:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: Use PTFE/Teflon tape on Quick B3 Boiler replament element threads or not?

Think you have answered your own question. Unless its a tapered thread then you will need sealant of some kind. There is also an art to applying teflon tape. Maybe use Hemp as it expands when wet.
Old 10-02-2024, 18:23   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Check this vid at 10:38 mark. He talks about the seals and Teflon.
Tin Tin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2024, 18:26   #4

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtPluck View Post
Should you use PTFE/Teflon tape on Quick B3 Boiler replament element threads or not?

Anyone have a definitive answer on this? I couldn't find anything in the manual/on Quick's site.

I replaced the element on my Quick B3 40L about a week ago, and it worked fine - using AC power to heat the water.

Today I moved the boat for the first time and found after an hour or two that the boiler was leaking at the element.

I'm going to take it apart and try again - but I had used Teflon tape on the threads when I installed it, and am curious if that could be my problem?
I'd be more inclined to use a good quality "paste" type product, like Permatex, (containing Teflon,) rather than thread-tape in that application.
As an adjunct, when the water heats-up it expands and needs somewhere to go to allow that expansion without tripping the temp/pressure valve.
On shore power the thermostat heats the water to what, maybe 120>130?, but operating off the engine the water will tend to reach whatever temp the thermostat in the engine is, maybe 180?
If you have an inlet check valve the pressure developed at 180 might leak whereas the pressure developed at 130 didn't,, just a thought.
If there is not an inlet check valve, (this is a good thing unless there is an expansion tank on the hot-water outlet,) then I would suspect the leak was likely due to the use of tape.
Old 10-02-2024, 20:15   #5

Thanks, I actually had watched that youtube video when I did the install. And yes, probably the higher temp from the engine tipped it over the edge.

I followed the youtube video instructions (use teflon tape, and only one gasket - the replacement element comes with two) first time round, but because of the failure was wondering if that wasn't a good idea.

I just pulled the element out this evening see that the gasket was distorted. I'm guessing that was from my original install last week and I just got away with it for a while (lower temp/pressure). I was careful not to tighten it too hard and lubricated the gasket.

Now I need to find a new gasket in a hurry, before my wife kills me!
Old 11-02-2024, 01:27   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Never use PTFE [Teflon] tape on NPSM straight [parallel] threads. These are sealed by the gasket [or O-ring]. Tape will cause leaks.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, oil