Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2015, 14:38   #1

VacuFlush Pump-Out question?

Sorry if this question may have been covered in another thread, but being a new member, I'm trying to find an answer about VacuFlush systems ASAP. I just bought a 35 Bluewater Coastal Cruiser that has the original VacuFlush system with only a maserator/pump overboard output. Of course my question has to do with bringing it into legal compliance by adding a connection for traditional dock-side pump-out capability. Does anyone have experience adding the 1 1/2" sanitation plumbing needed, while keeping the vacuum system in tact? Thanks in advance.
Whiskey River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 15:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: VacuFlush Pump-Out question?

You can do anything you want to do to the HOLDING tank...it's not actually a part of the VacuFlush TOILET system...SeaLand just packages holding tanks with it and in doing so confuses the bejabbers out of owners who aren't familiar with the system.

Here's how it works: The VacuFlush toilet is a three component system--the bowl assembly, the vacuum accumulator tank (not to be confused with a holding tank) and a vacuum pump. The vacuum tank and vacuum pump may be a combined gizmo called the "vacuum generator," that includes both and works the same way as separate vacuum tank and pump. And that’s ALL there is to the VacuFlush toilet. The holding tank is NOT part of the VacuFlush toilet system...nor is the overboard discharge pump to dump the tank, nor is any vent line filter. Dometic Sanitation (formerly SeaLand Technology) does offer “packages” that add all or some of those things to the toilet system, but it’s important to understand, especially when it comes to troubleshooting it, only the aforementioned three components are part of the toilet.

The vacuum pump has TWO functions: it suctions the air out of the plumbing between the toilet bowl and itself while simultaneously pushing the flush the rest of the way to the tank, treatment device or thru-hull. The vacuum tank has a switch and a sensor on it that starts the vacuum pump when there's a loss of "vacuum" (toilet is flushed or an air leak in the system) and turns it off when the correct amount of negative pressure has been reached. How long it runs after the pedal has been released depends on the distance from the pump to the bowl...the shorter the distance, the shorter pump run time. The accumulated "vacuum" only pulls the bowl contents TO the pump..the pump has to push it the rest of the way. So if it’s greater distance from the pump to the tank than from the bowl to the pump, leave the pedal down to keep the pump running a little longer and to rinse out the pump.

You need an owners manual for it. Call SeaLand --which is now owned by a company named DOMETIC, which is how they answer the phone now and ask for one: 800-321-9886

To add the line going to the deck pumpout fitting (which you may have install) is a simple matter: install a y-valve in the discharge line and run a new 1.5" line off it to the deck fitting. That's all there is to it.

You're welcome to contact me directly if you need more help in understanding how to use and maintain a VacuFlush to keep it trouble free.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 19:53   #3

Hi Peg, Thanks so much for your detailed and thoughtful answer to my question! I had gotten the same basic answer from a very knowledgable boater on my dock, who personally looked at the system on my boat, but before hiring the marina service people to 'fix' the issue, I wanted another opinion... which you supplied perfectly! Thanks again! Another very knowledgable boater mentioned that I should buy a lockable 'Y' valve since some juristinctions (especially overseas) require proof that you are not dumping waste into their water. Proper hardware will be used for this rather simple fix....Cheers!
Whiskey River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 14:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

What she said (of course)

In my system SeaLand installed a pump to move the contents of the holding tank to a thru-hull for overboard pumpout when outside of the 3 mile limit.

And also installed a second line to the on deck fitting for a "traditional" pump-out station.

Both of those lines (overboard and pump-out) feed from the bottom of the holding tank.

And a vent line too of course.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote