Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2021, 07:26   #31

Boat: X-Yachts, Xc45,45 feet
Send a message via Skype™ to ErikLP
Re: Variable Speed Fresh Water Pump

Our boat was fitted with the Shure-Flo system from the yard. I loved it the first two years. Then it started to have problems shutting off. If you turned the fosset off from anything less than full power the pump would keep on running at slow speed (and there was no leak in the system). It seemed that the back pressure couldn't cut off the pump. In the end we replaced the system.
ErikLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 14:29   #32

Shur-Flo make a pump with a pressure bypass loop which does not need an accumulator to operate at different flow rates. I think the model number is 408 but cannot promise that is correct.

I have one of these in my catamaran and it has worked well for the last 5 years.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 15:08   #33

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by john manning View Post
Shur-Flo make a pump with a pressure bypass loop which does not need an accumulator to operate at different flow rates. I think the model number is 408 but cannot promise that is correct.

I have one of these in my catamaran and it has worked well for the last 5 years.
Thanks for the heads up on these
Not convinced yet that I am liking my 240v pressure pump.

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/610362893?iid=353029429796
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 16:45   #34

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

My last boat had a Jabsco 5 gpm variable speed pump and I installed an accumulator. Also an in-line fine strainer before the pump. Lived aboard six months a year for 10 years, bought a spare (and they are relatively expensive) but never needed it. Used a lot of water with three heads, two showers, three sinks, galley sink and a dishwasher, but kept the water tank free of debris. IMO these pumps do not tolerate sand or mineral grains going through the pump.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 18:17   #35

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
When my last pump went, I had a variable speed fitted. I retained the accumulator. They really do separate things.

The accumulator provides instant water on tap turn.

The variable speed accounts for how many taps are running.

If you only have one tap, there is no need for a variable speed, but there is still a need for the accumulator.
The properly working accumulator will also minimize power consumption by preventing excessive pump run cycles in order to maintain system standby pressure and if mounted directly at the pump discharge will assist in quieting the water hammer inherent in positive displacement pump discharge.
Old 28-06-2021, 17:31   #36

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

My boat came with a Jabsco Vflow pump it stopped working about a year later (I could get it running bypassing the electronics so no pressure or run control); I bought a new updated Jabsco Vflow - it was dead out of the box, and the dealer replaced it; it lasted a little over a year, although this time it wouldn't shut off until the breaker blew I got it replaced under warranty now almost four years later it's dead; it's the same issue as the first one, there's no warranty left. It seems to me that there's a problem with the electronic control as Jabsco keeps updating these units, and apparently, they quit producing the Vflow pumps. From their site: "This product is now obsolete.
The details supplied here are for information only.
NO CURRENT REPLACEMENT" < https://tinyurl.com/yf2zy62g>
I've checked the current draw and voltage drop; there's no problem there.
I really like this pump; if they would remedy the electronics, I'd get another one; however, I think they threw the towel in.
My new setup is a pump Jabsco has made from the beginning of time a dependable, easily repaired but $$$ and a Whale accumulator.
(Jabsco 36900-1000 Water System Pump and <https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2654762>
Old 29-06-2021, 03:46   #37

Years ago we installed a small household accumulator in the system. It's worked very well for a long time and costs considerably less then marine.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump