Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2022, 21:10   #1

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Vented Loop Vacuum Breaker

Has anyone found a better vacuum breaker than the little duck bill valve at the top of the Forespar vented loop?
We clean them but they are so small and we don’t feel comfortable with the design. Seems like a small amount of “stuff” could prevent them from opening.
Forespar has a video but it’s difficult to determine if the duckbill needs to be replaced as they are rather vague about when to do this...medical grade duckbill valves seem to last forever. We are trying to find a source to replace the Forespar duckbill with something more foolproof.
Anything better which could be added to these vented loops?
Thank you for replies.
The manatee crew
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 23:22   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Vented Loop Vacuum Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Has anyone found a better vacuum breaker than the little duck bill valve at the top of the Forespar vented loop?
We clean them but they are so small and we don’t feel comfortable with the design. Seems like a small amount of “stuff” could prevent them from opening.
Forespar has a video but it’s difficult to determine if the duckbill needs to be replaced as they are rather vague about when to do this...medical grade duckbill valves seem to last forever. We are trying to find a source to replace the Forespar duckbill with something more foolproof.
Thank you for replies.
The manatee crew
I guess the question is just where is this vented loop installed, if it is in the exhaust water discharge then replacing the valve with a small diameter tube discharging overboard is the go, if it is in the grey or black water discharge then perhaps not.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 00:54   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I guess the question is just where is this vented loop installed, if it is in the exhaust water discharge then replacing the valve with a small diameter tube discharging overboard is the go, if it is in the grey or black water discharge then perhaps not.

Agreed. Valve based vented loops do have a habit of failing. I recently purchased a new valve based vented loop that was stuck out of the box.

There is a limited number of ventilated loops that are critical. For many sailing boats this is only the main engine.

If the vented loop to the main engine fails the engine can suffer catastrophic damage. A simple overboad "pissing tube" rather than a rubber valve is more sensible for this application. Unfortunately this rarely fitted on modern boats. A vented loop without a rubber valve ( a basic overboard "pissing tube") is very unlikely to fail. It has no moving parts to jam. It can be checked every time the engine is started although it should never fail or need any service.

There are many other vented loops on a sailboat. Most of these are much less critical. A stuck valve in the vented loop is likely to cause only a minor problem. For these application a rubber "duck billed valve" together with some routine maintenance and an occasional check that the the valve is OK is fine. Consider shutting off the seacock to these systems when leaving the boat.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 03:05   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

How does the pissing tube create the needed vacuum to begin with? I've had very bad luck with vented loops, and now I flush the toilet by putting a finger over the vacuum break in the inlet hose. Luckily the exit hose duckbill still works.....
Old 18-02-2022, 03:11   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
How does the pissing tube create the needed vacuum to begin with?
It lets air in to prevent a syphon. There is no rubber valve and therefore no mechanical device to wear out, stick, or to go wrong.

The syphon break in this case is a simple vent tube.
Old 18-02-2022, 07:00   #6
Marine Service Provider

I've had very bad luck with vented loops, and now I flush the toilet by putting a finger over the vacuum break in the inlet hose. Luckily the exit hose duckbill still works.....

That's because it's installed in the wrong place. The intake vented loop shouldn't be in the line from the thru-hull to the pump...it belongs in the line between the bowl and the pump. See where it has to go in the drawing on p.3 of the Jabsco manual toilet owners manual Jabsco Manual Twist & Lock owners manual ...Figure 2 on p. 5 in the Raritan PHII owners manual PH II Owner’s Manual ...and Figure 5 on page 5 of the Raritan PH SuperFlush (newest version of the PHII) Raritan SuperFlush Owners Manual As you'll see, it's in the same place in all of 'em: between the pump and the bowl (if installed between the thru-hull and the pump it interferes with the pump's ability to prime). It needs to be at least 6-8" above waterline AT MAX HEEL, not just when the boat's at rest..which puts it about 2-3' above the bowl on most sailboats. That requires replacing the short piece of hose mfrs use to connect the pump to the bowl with two lengths of 3/4" sanitation hose long enough to put the loop where it needs to be. There are a few toilets that make this impossible--bronze "thrones" like the W-C Skipper, Groco Model K are two and maybe the Lavac, but you'll find the same instructions in the owners manuals for every "normal" manual toilet.

And btw... a vent line instead of an air valve on a vented is a bad idea because that hose has to be so small that it quickly becomes blocked by salt and sea water minerals...turning a vented loop into an UNvented loop that no longer has any ability to prevent a siphon. Because it also quickly becomes "out of sight, out of mind," no one ever thinks to clean it out.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 13:58   #7

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Look at the Groco anti-siphon loops: https://www.groco.net/products/marin...n/vented-loops . They are very resistant to clogging. The tiny valves used in most anti-siphon loops are just too small and fiddly. It is possible to add a small line on top of the valve to drain any water that escapes the valve. Note that the drain line needs to terminate well above any source of water.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 14:21   #8

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I've had very bad luck with vented loops, and now I flush the toilet by putting a finger over the vacuum break in the inlet hose. Luckily the exit hose duckbill still works.....

That's because it's installed in the wrong place. The intake vented loop shouldn't be in the line from the thru-hull to the pump...it belongs in the line between the bowl and the pump. See where it has to go in the drawing on p.3 of the Jabsco manual toilet owners manual Jabsco Manual Twist & Lock owners manual ...Figure 2 on p. 5 in the Raritan PHII owners manual PH II Owner’s Manual ...and Figure 5 on page 5 of the Raritan PH SuperFlush (newest version of the PHII) Raritan SuperFlush Owners Manual As you'll see, it's in the same place in all of 'em: between the pump and the bowl (if installed between the thru-hull and the pump it interferes with the pump's ability to prime). It needs to be at least 6-8" above waterline AT MAX HEEL, not just when the boat's at rest..which puts it about 2-3' above the bowl on most sailboats. That requires replacing the short piece of hose mfrs use to connect the pump to the bowl with two lengths of 3/4" sanitation hose long enough to put the loop where it needs to be. There are a few toilets that make this impossible--bronze "thrones" like the W-C Skipper, Groco Model K are two and maybe the Lavac, but you'll find the same instructions in the owners manuals for every "normal" manual toilet.

And btw... a vent line instead of an air valve on a vented is a bad idea because that hose has to be so small that it quickly becomes blocked by salt and sea water minerals...turning a vented loop into an UNvented loop that no longer has any ability to prevent a siphon. Because it also quickly becomes "out of sight, out of mind," no one ever thinks to clean it out.

--Peggie
Peggie, I have to differ with you here, my boat is fitted with a 1/4 inch hose line from the top of the elbow to a nearby cockpit drain, was there when purchased around 10 years ago and obviously not new then and has continued to perform ever since. It gets a look at every time I change the oils, so annually and no clogging to date.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 14:45   #9
Marine Service Provider

There are always "exceptions that prove the rule." Glad yours is one of 'em.

--Peggie
Old 18-02-2022, 15:27   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, a vent line is much less likely to clog than a valve, in my view.

It is also easy to check just by making sure water is exiting.

With a valve operated vent, unless you can see the water level the valve has to be removed. Even then, to be sure of correct operation with most models the whole vented loop needs to be removed so you can check with air pressure.
Old 18-02-2022, 16:14   #11
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Thank you for replies.
The manatee crew
I inherited a vented loop on one of my bilge pumps that is located rather high and without a duck bill valve...it is open, and a long stiff tube upwards from there. There is nothing to clog.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 18:42   #12

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

With my old engine's cooling system I replaced the unreliable valve on top of the loop with a hose barb and ran a 1/4" hose out to the footwell. It never plugged up. The trickle was proof that the water pump was moving water. Good solution.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 19:37   #13
Marine Service Provider

How much air pressure should there be in a toilet intake line/vented loop?

--Peggie
Old 18-02-2022, 20:34   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
How much air pressure should there be in a toilet intake line/vented loop?

--Peggie
Peg, I was trying to be polite . It seems there is no way to discuss testing valve operated vented loops without mentioning the "suck and blow" technique .

Of course this test is not recommended for vented loops in the toilet system . I guess you could use a dingy pump.

To Test Loop for Pressure:
Plug one end of the loop and blow into the loop. No air should escape.
To Test Loop for Vacuum:
Plug one end of the loop and suck on the other end. Air should enter under this slight negative pressure.
Old 19-02-2022, 03:28   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:

--Peggie
Thank you for this. I'm afraid that with my Lavac it's impossible to rig as you describe, since the whole circus depends on suction, and I'd never get a prime with an open tube.
But you've confirmed that until a reliable duckbill valve is made, the finger method will prevail.