Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2020, 18:14   #16

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Vertical flexible freshwater tank?

This might be a long shot, but you might check with a municipal water department.

I learned that the local municipality had two water tanks, the newer one was epoxy coated on inside, but the older one had always been coated inside with some sort of grease to keep it from rusting. Had to be recoated periodically, and obviously didn't affect the water for drinking purposes.

A difference would be the respective ratios of volume to surface area. Don't know if that matters.

I did a brief internet search, and didn't find any info, but it might be out there.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 13:21   #17

Boat: 34 foot Ebbtide Steel Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
My freshwater tank is down inside my keel (it's a compartment in the keel, really, it's not removable). It was in pretty rough shape, and I've cleaned it up a lot, but I still don't want to put my freshwater in it. I am thinking that I can put a flexible bag down inside it. But, all the flexible tanks I've found are flat pancakes (or triangles for the bow), and the fittings aren't in the right place for me. Does anyone know of a company that makes vertical flexible bag tanks? Where the in valve would be at the top and the out would be near the bottom when vertical?

I attached a picture of the current "tank"; I just coated it in epoxy paint to stop the rust from coming back. It's a weird shape and two to three times as deep as it is wide or long, which is why I thought the bag might be an easier idea than trying to find a vertical rigid tank and dropping it in. The "in" is on the forward end, which in this picture is the bottom, and the "out" is on the aft end, which is at the top of the picture (I will probably need to cut off that metal extension no matter what I do). Any recommendations?
Have a look into TPU coated nylon fabrics, you can "weld" the seams with an iron (avaliable on amazon or don't tell the wife) and make pack rafts and water tanks, covers and inflatable toys. the off the shelf tanks come with an extra outer layer to avoid chafe.

I will be experimenting with this next year hopefully as I have got keel tanks too! I cant get to most of mine without lifting out and cutting a hole in the side 😒 so I need flexible tanks to go through the small 14" round acsess holes in the floor.
Old 27-11-2020, 14:25   #18

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

You might also look into the flexible, chemically welded shower pan liners sold in big box hardware stores.
Make up a liner to fit the space, put the fill cap and intake pipe into your bolted down lid.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, water