Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2017, 06:50   #1

Boat: Hunter 310
Waeco CS-NC15 Issue

Hi there,

First time poster, long time reader. I had a Waeco CS-NC15 installed in the icebox of my 98 Hunter 310 4 years ago. First 2 seasons it worked great and cooled the icebox accordingly. Last season at full blast I couldn't get the icebox temperature below 46 degrees and this season I can't get it below 50 degrees. Doesn't matter if I run it on AC or DC. I have it set to the highest temperature setting and can hear the unit turn on and off periodically but when on, it only stays on for about 30 seconds, then shuts off. Makes no difference if I leave the icebox door open, 30 seconds is about as long as the Waeco will stay on.

Has anyone ever come across this issue with a Waeco unit? Is there a thermostat built in that perhaps is faulty?

Any advice to help troubleshooting this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

T
Erik_The_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 09:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Waeco CS-NC15 Issue

Erik, I do not consider the Weaco SC-N15 any more than a drink cooler unit as forced air evaporators without self defrosting are not efficient below 40 degrees F box temperatures do to evaporator fan air ice blockage. To prevent poor temperature control, thermostat should not be set to full cold.

It compressor runs and cycles off in thirty seconds as you believe I would recommend disconnecting thermostat wires from Danfoss control module terminals C and T. Then place a jumper wire across module terminals C and T so compressor will run continuously.

If compressor still cycles off with thermostat bypassed I would remove fan ground wire from Module F terminal. If compressor still runs with thermostat bypassed and fan deactivated, Fan is defective and needs to be replaced.

Danfoss designed into their electronic control unit a troubleshooting circuit to trigger an LED code pinpointing trouble when compressor fails to boot up. Many Job
Shops that use these BD compressors fail to install this $2 LED between Module Terminals Small + and D. One LED code flash every 4 seconds indicates a problem with boats wiring. Two LED flash codes indicates Fan circuit is drawing more than ½ amp (500 milliamps).
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 09:20   #3

Boat: Hunter 310
Re: Waeco CS-NC15 Issue

Thank you Richard for this excellent information. I'll try the steps you indicated and go from there.

Best,

T
Erik_The_Red is offline   Reply With Quote