Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2010, 05:07   #46

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
Installing a very large solar panel array in an attempt to avoid the noise and expense of a genset.
Regards,

TJ

If you can't hang clothes to dry because of rain, I'd double check your numbers before investing much in solar.

Edit- Oops, old post.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 16:36   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
I have a Haier combo ventless W/D onboard. 110 volt, but you have to make sure you get one with a stainless steel drum or it won't last 5 minutes. It does take a long time to dry but hey where exactly am I going in a hurry. No job, no fixxed address, and don't have any idea what I am doing next week. Oh thats right i'm a cruiser.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 13:22   #48

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Washers and Dryers - Oh Boy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
I have a Haier combo ventless W/D onboard. 110 volt, but you have to make sure you get one with a stainless steel drum or it won't last 5 minutes. It does take a long time to dry but hey where exactly am I going in a hurry. No job, no fixxed address, and don't have any idea what I am doing next week. Oh thats right i'm a cruiser.
Great response!
Fearnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 14:37   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
Is anyone using a propane dryer out there? I'm curious how much propane they burn.

Thanks,

TJ
One consideration with a propane dryer is that it will not be ABYC compliant. I don't know about CE. You will need to decide if you care.

ABYC requires that a propane appliance's combustion chamber be completely sealed off from the interior of the boat. That's typically accomplished by drawing intake air from the outside, and exhausting to the outside. A lot of "direct vent" wall heaters and modern high efficiency boilers work this way too. I don't know of any dryers that do that. Instead, they all draw combustion air from the room where they are installed. I think the reasoning behind the requirement is that any leaking propane can spill into the boat's interior if the combustion chamber is sealed off, communicating only with the outside. It's a sensible safety measure, but you can decide what risks you want to take. I think this is also why you don't see propane refrigerators on boats. By the way, there is an exception for stoves and cooktops.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 14:44   #50

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
By the way, there is an exception for stoves and cooktops.
Which is just plain silly if you think about it.
Old 11-01-2013, 14:51   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Which is just plain silly if you think about it.
It would certainly pose the same risk, but in practice, how would you create a compliant stove? An outdoor grill is all I can imagine.

Thinking back to it, ABYC distinguishes between intermittent use and constant use appliances. The stove is considered intermittent, but a heater would be viewed as constant use. Or maybe the term was unattended vs attended. I don't recall exactly, but it was pretty clear (at least to me) that a refrigerator or heater would need to be direct vented, and a stove wouldn't. It does make me wonder about a dryer and which category it would fall into.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 15:19   #52
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The CE requirements for gas appliances on boats is virtually identical. Room sealed with an exception for stoves

Dave
Old 11-01-2013, 15:22   #53

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
It would certainly pose the same risk, but in practice, how would you create a compliant stove? An outdoor grill is all I can imagine.

Thinking back to it, ABYC distinguishes between intermittent use and constant use appliances. The stove is considered intermittent, but a heater would be viewed as constant use. Or maybe the term was unattended vs attended. I don't recall exactly, but it was pretty clear (at least to me) that a refrigerator or heater would need to be direct vented, and a stove wouldn't. It does make me wonder about a dryer and which category it would fall into.

Yes.

I do believe it is attended vs unattended but I still submit it is silly because stoves can cook stew all day and the oven can bake for hours also = unattended.

So I call "silly" on it.

PS the Gemini 105Mc (and all models of Geminis - over 1100 of them) had propane fridges.
Old 11-01-2013, 23:10   #54

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

Humpfff then perhaps the solution to all this to-do is a dryer powered by kerosene! LOL

You would think a dryer would be a intermittent use appliance since it's not used daily nor for long periods of time.
Old 11-01-2013, 23:28   #55

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We had a propane gimbled fridge on our colvin for over 10 yrs worked great !!
Old 11-01-2013, 23:52   #56

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

I've used those propane powered fridges back in my ranching days. We used them in line cabins where there was no electricity (in the days before solar panels). I was never that fond of them, they do not have a very high BTU output.
Old 04-05-2014, 14:20   #57

Boat: Maine Cat 30

So, Yachts66, which unit did you eventually get? Or are you still looking?

We are considering installing a washer. The dryer just seems too big an energy hog for anywhere but hooked to shore power. Looking at Haier HLP23E which seems to get good reviews (if they aren't written by a Haier hack. . .)
Portable Washing Machine Review 2014 | Best Portable Washers | Small Compact Mini Washers - TopTenREVIEWS

Looks like a great deal at WalMart too. And, as mentioned above as a requirement, they have a stainless drum.

Mixed reviews, but mostly positive.

Cheers,
Pat
Old 04-05-2014, 15:22   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

We have a Haier hwd1000 and it worked well for the first 18 months then had problems. Excessive vibration from high rpm spin speed shook the internal supports loose repeatedly, problems with the water refusing to remain in the drum. Replaced vacuum actuator. Hard to get parts. Real pain in the ass as the machine is bolted down in very tight space so every time something goes wrong it is a 2 hour ordeal to get to the back of the machine.
Decided to replace it with a splendide vented washer dryer next month.
I have heard nothing but good about these machines and they are specifically built for RV and marine use. Heavy duty shocks to isolate vibration. Also used by a lot of new boat builders as factory installed units.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 15:24   #59

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Washers, dryers and inverter:
I have a power boat, so my view may be different... I have a European made Whirlpool compact washer and dryer. There are now newer versions of the model I have now. They measure 23.5x23.5x33 high. The washer continually has electrical problems. So much so, I bought a almost new, used one and stripped it for spare parts. I now have a relationship with a company that rebuilds circuit boards, too. The dryer, so far, hasn't been a problem. It won't completely dry jeans on the first try. Both require small loads. I'm limited to about 24.25" wide unless I want to cut a hole in my deck.
Magnum makes a MS-AE series inverter (maybe others do by now) that produces 2 120v legs that can be used to make 240v. They are rated from 4000 to 4400 continuous watts and up to 8500 5 second surge. They also charge batteries and can be setup to automatically shift from shore/generator power to battery. I use mine to run a house refrigerator, freezer and lights, but could run any 120/240 device with enough batteries. I also use it so I don't have to run a generator when running the mains. The alternator keeps up with the batteries power draw. When I bought the boat it was setup to run a generator all the time.
Lepke
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:36   #60

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

V

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote