Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2024, 14:30   #16

Boat: Kanter 54
Re: Washing Machine Saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Which LG?

And what old machine did you take out?
Its was a standard euro size ~600 x 600mm. Cant remember the brand but it took to not giving us the laundry (door latch solenoid) - same like your machine end of life dramas,
Audeamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 14:59   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
That one's a rather standard size, way too deep to get through the door to my passage cabin, even if I removed the door frame from the bulkhead.
https://www.bosch-home.com/ne/en/mkt-product/WDS28460ME
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 01:00   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Top loading with dryer do exist. In fact, Jeanneau installed one in my boat.
Now, IF I only could remember the brand of that thing... It's a french brand which might be "Brandt". Ill look it up next time on the boat. Anyhow, mine is a hot air dryer and uses (precious) water to condense. Not the best but works. Somewhere in my head there's a memory of having seen a heat pump dryer top loader washer too.
Loredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 01:35   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loredo View Post
Top loading with dryer do exist. In fact, Jeanneau installed one in my boat.
Now, IF I only could remember the brand of that thing... It's a french brand which might be "Brandt". Ill look it up next time on the boat. Anyhow, mine is a hot air dryer and uses (precious) water to condense. Not the best but works. Somewhere in my head there's a memory of having seen a heat pump dryer top loader washer too.
you are from italy do you ever see in life in shop top loading washing machine. i in my 60 year first time see this in Fiumicino when make inspection on jeanneau 54ds
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 03:21   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Although I'm not not sure I comprehend your question, top loading washing machines have been a thing since the washing machine was invented. In fact, the very first ones were all top loading. In my family, we've been using top loaders for the past 50 years or so. Now if I could only remember then which one is the one in my boat... Can't find it online.
Loredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 12:13   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Yes! Another skinny one! This is great; thank you!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 12:14   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loredo View Post
Although I'm not not sure I comprehend your question, top loading washing machines have been a thing since the washing machine was invented. In fact, the very first ones were all top loading. In my family, we've been using top loaders for the past 50 years or so. Now if I could only remember then which one is the one in my boat... Can't find it online.

Nothing wrong with top-loading washers, but I need a COMBINED washer-dryer, like my old one, and those are all front loading as far as I know.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 04-06-2024, 15:48   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
That one's a rather standard size, way too deep to get through the door to my passage cabin, even if I removed the door frame from the bulkhead.
This solution was adopted by an architect friend of ours, and is the other approach to destroying joinery: Chris took a hacksaw, and removed the outer case of the washing machine to get it through her companionway. She then welded it back together once in the laundry area of her yacht.

Depends on how you look at it if you think it is elegant or too "agricultural" for you.

Good luck getting what you want.

Ann
Old 05-06-2024, 12:44   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
This solution was adopted by an architect friend of ours, and is the other approach to destroying joinery: Chris took a hacksaw, and removed the outer case of the washing machine to get it through her companionway. She then welded it back together once in the laundry area of her yacht.

Depends on how you look at it if you think it is elegant or too "agricultural" for you.

Good luck getting what you want.

Ann

Thanks, Ann.

I would hate to be cutting apart and rewelding a washing machine. This is going to an involved enough process already.

But it shouldn't be necessary -- there are now a few "skinny" washing machines which are as little as 45cm deep which should make it through my doorway if I take the doors off.

I will have to take one board out of the niche for the machine to get the full 60cm of width I need, and any of these devices will stick out the top of the former space but I think it's going to work.

Now just to make the final choice and order it.
Walt Whitman
Old 05-06-2024, 13:47   #25

Check to see how easy it is to get to the washing machine filter. The $%^&*() morons who designed or approved the design of our last front loading washing machine, required moving the machine and tipping it over, while full of water, OR having a special tool to install the door gasket, to get to the washing machines filter.....
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 05:27   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Check to see how easy it is to get to the washing machine filter. The $%^&*() morons who designed or approved the design of our last front loading washing machine, required moving the machine and tipping it over, while full of water, OR having a special tool to install the door gasket, to get to the washing machines filter.....

That's crazy!

All the front load washing machines -- over decades of experience with them -- have had the filter in the front, behind a little hatch, almost always bottom left side of the front panel.

I'll be sure to double check these!
Walt Whitman
Old 06-06-2024, 06:37   #27

Quote:
That's crazy!

All the front load washing machines -- over decades of experience with them -- have had the filter in the front, behind a little hatch, almost always bottom left side of the front panel.

I'll be sure to double check these!
That is where the filter is located, bottom left of the washer.... The problem is they deleted the lower panel or door. So, to get to the filter, one has to remove the top and front panel to access the filter. The recommended way was/is to pull the washer out and lay it on the floor to access the filter. Since the filter is clogged, the washer is full of water so it is heavy, and even if one vacuums out the water the washer is still heavy and cumbersome, so they recommended to two people lay down the washer....

Or you removed the front panel, which requires the top panel be removed, along with the gasket..... Removing the gasket is sorta easy but putting it back on requires a special tool, and even with said special tool, it is not that easy to put the gasket back in place...

What should be a 5-10 minute task is now close to two hours.

When we replaced that washer we made danged sure the replacement had easy access to the filter.
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 08:47   #28
TPG

Boat: Admiral 40

Equator All-in-One Washer Dryer VENTED-DRY 30% FASTER than Condense 15lb 110V in White https://a.co/d/gyD1BvO

We installed this unit we bought on Amazon for around $1000. Works really well and the dryer is vented. (We tried ventless in the past and it's crap.) Yes it goes thru water but it's not nearly the power hog I would have expected. Cleans clothes very well and makes life aboard just a bit nicer.
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 09:56   #29

Do any of you who have washing machines in mono-hulls fit the transit bolts back in them when you've got a windward trip to do?

I would imagine that the big block of concrete on the drum would strain or damage something if bounced around when tipped up 20 or 30 degrees.

Maybe it's not a problem?
Uncle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 10:56   #30

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Thanks, Ann.

I would hate to be cutting apart and rewelding a washing machine. This is going to an involved enough process already.

But it shouldn't be necessary -- there are now a few "skinny" washing machines which are as little as 45cm deep which should make it through my doorway if I take the doors off.

I will have to take one board out of the niche for the machine to get the full 60cm of width I need, and any of these devices will stick out the top of the former space but I think it's going to work.

Now just to make the final choice and order it.
I hope to gain from your research, DH.

The PO’s of our boat went to the extreme of cutting a new Splendide in half to locate it where desired- of course voiding the warranty in the process….

That was 20 some years ago… I do not look forward to the day when I can no longer MacGuyver repairs and need to remove the unit. Hopefully replacing it with one of the skinny ones you have found…

Best wishes finding the best unit for your needs [and space constraints…]

Cheers, Bill

Tags
washing