Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2006, 13:03   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Now *that* is thinking! Great idea, Amfivena!
Hey, I try... <g>

Much of the above also applies to fuel. We keep extra diesel and k1 in 5 gallon jugs. Underway we lash the jugs to the lifelines over the scupper ports. When we leave it on the mooring for a while we leave the cans out-of-sight in the cockpit. We use a lot of fuel for certain river trips - otherwise use very little so adding an extra permanent tank didn't seem to make sense for 1 or 2 trips a year. Likewise, no need for k1 to sit in tanks all summer when it's not needed.

I have maneuvering 'issues', so it's nice to take the dinghy to get water instead of trying to coax my full keel, barn door rudder and small engine into tight spaces. Of course, with a Mac 25 that's probably not an issue.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 17:07   #17

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
We have 3 jerry jugs aboard ... gasoline, diesel & water, all near the CE of the boat .... this works. On my last boat I hung a 20 horse Johnson O/B off the transom .... trust me .... I speak from experience on this .... that much weight at either end of the boat is a bad, bad thing!
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 17:48   #18
cruiser

Speaking of jugs, I'm jugging my water this winter in addition to cutting and splitting firewood (splitting with a maul). Should be in shape for sailing season next year... ha ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2006, 23:33   #19

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
I do have 2 cans now, 5 gal and a 6 gal. I am trying to not have much heavy stuff above the lockers if possible. I do worry about a 6 gallon plastic can full of water come flying at me in the cabin. Although I will not be getting rid of it.

I do like the idea of water bladders under the aft bunk. This space is long and wide and short. 8 inchs tall at most. I will keep the advice and put in extensive rub protection. I will go with 2 55 gal tanks and hope to be able to put 20 gal's in each as most of the tanks need 14 inches to get full volume.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote