Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2020, 14:15   #16

Re: Water Collection Components?

Wow didn't realize how large those bag filters are. Maybe that will work....if I can figure a way to construct an inline housing from pvc.
SKMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 14:17   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMT View Post
Approximately how many sq ft of deck space are you collecting from?
Our boat is long and narrow: 64’ long and 16’ wide. The sugar scoop stern takes away 2’ and of-course cockpit and windlass areas are excluded. The rest is all collected, incl. What hits the masts, rigging, superstructure
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 14:42   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKMT View Post
... Of course, to clarify I'm not concerned about absolute purity because this isnt intended as drinking water. This is for showering and shitting in. If I'm cooking its getting boiled anyway. And im I not worried about catching the plague from washing a cook pot in rainwater.

With that said, I would like to keep as much particulates out of my tanks as feasible. Particularly so i dont foul my FW pump. But what is the GPM on your 1 micron baja filter? I can't imagine it would keep up in a downpour?

Flow depends on how dirty, but 4-8 GPM. This is a high flow filter design and it can handle quite a bit of water. Consider that 100 square feet at 2 inches per hour is only 3-4 gallons per hour. I seriously doubt you will ever exceed 1 GPM.

Google drinking rain water and you will find many health department technical evaluations of rainwater systems. This is common in the islands, Australia, and Texas. The sun (UV) tends to sanitize the roof. It has proven safe for drinking with minimal precautions. Remember that human pathogens mostly come from other humans and mammals, none of which will be on the roof. No giardia, no dysentery, no COVID.
Old 26-06-2020, 07:24   #19

Is there any reason I shouldn't just use a garden hose? Seems those hold up in the sun and are opaque. Plus are flexible for winding around corners.
SKMT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water