Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2021, 13:54   #16

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: water heater versus calorifier - what to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
What brand? I've been on boats where the hot water has lasted 18-20 hrs but mine barely lasts 5 or 6 hrs. Of course we cheaped out and bought the cheapest available—a better one is definitely on my To-buy list but as the OP mentioned accurate research isn't as easy as one might guess.
I'm not sure, and we're away from the boat for 3-4 weeks so I can't take a peek. I wanted to say IsoTherm but when I look at their data it doesn't quite look the same. It was fitted on the boat in Italy in 2013 and has a rigid brown/beige foam jacket that appears about 3" (75mm) thick (I can see where the straps mount).

It did come with a tempering valve built in to the outlet, but that stopped working last year so we installed a new, decent one that ended up having much better adjustment.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 16:49   #17

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Hi all...I put this on a thread a few days ago with some feedback, but not enough! Apologies to those that did respond, but there may be others with info.

Installing a calorifier takes up lots of space and are expensive. There might be an alternative.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plate.png
Views:	91
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	238217
The downside is there is no storage of hot water therefore one must have the engine running and hot for hot water.
They seem to be used in RC's and installed under the bonnet.
Anyone used one in a boat?
There are other issues with a plate but I think they can be worked around.
I have ordered a plate and will pass on progress.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 19:12   #18
AJA

Boat: Irwin 37' CCKetch (1974)

Exactly the point. The Calorifier is a tank that KEEPS the hot water generated by your Diesel engine HOT for a substantial period of time. The unit itself does not heat it.
Reports by PS say this period can be as long as 24 hours.
It is meant for offshore crushing where shore power is not available and energy production is at a minimum.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:46   #19
AJA

Boat: Irwin 37' CCKetch (1974)

Thanks. I went to the site, but could find little of use in the description. They mention a preset heat level, but there are no controls on the module. Let me know how your work with this goes.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:21   #20

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I recently replaced my water heater with a unit made by Albin Pump Marine. I chose it because it has a SS tank and is more economical than Iso Temp. Most of the cube shaped units are rebranded but it appears that they are mfg. by Kuuma.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:18   #21

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprice View Post
Hi all...I put this on a thread a few days ago with some feedback, but not enough! Apologies to those that did respond, but there may be others with info.

Installing a calorifier takes up lots of space and are expensive. There might be an alternative.
Attachment 238217
The downside is there is no storage of hot water therefore one must have the engine running and hot for hot water.
They seem to be used in RC's and installed under the bonnet.
Anyone used one in a boat?
There are other issues with a plate but I think they can be worked around.
I have ordered a plate and will pass on progress.
I've installed a ton of these at work, and there's even one in our house that uses the domestic hot water to heat the hydronics in-floor heating. They can be very, very effective (it's all about the number/area of the plates and the flow rates of the two liquids). If it was a fishing boat or some other boat that had a generator running all the time I could see it as quite useful. For ourselves, when we want to shower is not usually when the engine is running.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:28   #22

Late coming to this thread, but there’s some new (to me!) developments, by having dual electric coils, one 240/110AC and the other 12/24V DC. I read these DC coils are useful ‘off grid’ as a sink for excess solar power. A buddy with a boat similar to mine has full batteries by noon and nothing for his solar to do later. Maybe slowly heating his hot water tank, when swinging on anchor, is one good use.

That said, it’s hard to find manufacturers, and I would be keen to know of any you guys have come across some.

Papawads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:43   #23
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Rather then using a dual AC plus 12V element I think it’s easier to use a cheap quasi sine wave inverter
Old 02-11-2021, 09:26   #24

That's a valid option, just keep in mind that a typical PSW inverter will run at about 88% efficiency, so you'll lose a few electrons. Plus you need to make sure to disconnect the battery input.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:28   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
That's a valid option, just keep in mind that a typical PSW inverter will run at about 88% efficiency, so you'll lose a few electrons. Plus you need to make sure to disconnect the battery input.
I’d leave the battery in circuit , but control the inverter from the “load “ switch on my mppt controller
Old 02-11-2021, 09:40   #26

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Our choice 35 years ago was, and still is, a propane powered instant water heater.

Since we use propane for the galley stove and the BBQ it was simple to extend it to the water heater.

We wanted basically unlimited hot water and no need to run the engine nor find room for the heavy and cantankeous tank.

This approach has worked perfectly all these years, although we are on our 4th propane water heater; they don't last for ever, but they are inexpensive.

You need strict propane safety protocalls.
Old 02-11-2021, 09:56   #27

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
I think you are looking for a water heater. There's no need for a water heater if it's going to be one that heats water that is already hot as in the term "hot water heater"..... OK, so somebody had to say it. LOL
So the proper term would be "cold water heater"

I haven't hooked up my new (replacement) heater yet, but I guess it should be in parallel with the engine heat exchanger. The old one was in the raw water circuit, and the aluminum loop broke off, almost flooding the bilge and melting the exhaust hose.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:53   #28

Boat: Allmand 31

I will be replacing my 110v heater element with this 12v element (150w), and preclude engine heating circuit.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0761L2Q8M...roduct_details
Paradox111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:16   #29

Boat: Island Packet 40

If you want to spend a lot of time at anchor and take regular hot showers you need a propane/butane water heater as well as the electric/engine heated types. My boat had the second type already when I bought it but I have since purchased a propane/butane unit.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:41   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
If you want to spend a lot of time at anchor and take regular hot showers you need a propane/butane water heater as well as the electric/engine heated types. My boat had the second type already when I bought it but I have since purchased a propane/butane unit.
Depends. If you need to run the generator anyway regularly, use on one hand the cooling of the generator to heat the water and on the other hand turn on the 220V (110V for areas half as sane) heating element, while the generator is running. Hot water for the day.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, calorifier, heater, water