Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2013, 04:08   #1

Water Maker for land use, about 100l/hour

Hi everybody,
I hope I can ask here about watermakers for use on land.
We are in a very dry area just on the seaside and we would like to have drinkable water for a group of people, we calculate the size of the watermaker has to be between 70 and 120 liter per hour.
Will be something in a way similar to a boat, solar powered preferabbly with AC and eventualy DC is also possible.
The idea is to use to use water of the sea, the Mediterranean sea, to use a water pump and use a water maker to have our drinkable water.
To use the water maker for the time to fill the tanks - size still to be calculated - and then let the watermaker "rest" until the next full load.
The question is: what is "THE" brand of watermaker, the more strong, relyable and durable for that size.
Hope I supplied enough information to get a proper answer, thank you very much,
Eiasu
eiasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 04:29   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Water Maker for land use, about 100l/hour

There are many islands and villages using watermakers for sweet water from sea or brackish water. The units you see on sailboats are generally much smaller and much more expensive than commercial units. The MTBF for specialized boat units is much lower than a real one. Some of these desalination power plants have filters that are huge, and they need to be in order to reliably output clean water.

I remember talking to a hotel resort operator who made their own water and he said that even the commercial units needed quite a bit of maintenance and filtration was the really big issue.

something like: Commercial Water Desalination SWC Series, Reverse Osmosis Desalination Systems
Old 25-10-2013, 05:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiasu View Post
Hi everybody,
I hope I can ask here about watermakers for use on land.
We are in a very dry area just on the seaside and we would like to have drinkable water for a group of people, we calculate the size of the watermaker has to be between 70 and 120 liter per hour.
Will be something in a way similar to a boat, solar powered preferabbly with AC and eventualy DC is also possible.
The idea is to use to use water of the sea, the Mediterranean sea, to use a water pump and use a water maker to have our drinkable water.
To use the water maker for the time to fill the tanks - size still to be calculated - and then let the watermaker "rest" until the next full load.
The question is: what is "THE" brand of watermaker, the more strong, relyable and durable for that size.
Hope I supplied enough information to get a proper answer, thank you very much,
Eiasu
i would first employ the services of a water deviner,you may find there is a ready supply of fresh water just below your feet! digging a well will be far cheaper than a watermaker!

i have found sweet water on coral atolls in shallow wells within meters of the shore before
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 14:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i would first employ the services of a water deviner,you may find there is a ready supply of fresh water just below your feet! digging a well will be far cheaper than a watermaker!

i have found sweet water on coral atolls in shallow wells within meters of the shore before
Thank you,
we already checked this opportunity and are not available, the service from the community is not really available due to the isolated position and the well is not an option because the location is above a formal sulfur mine.
That's why we were oriented in desalting the sea water.
Ciao
Eiasu
eiasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 20:14   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Land based units and boat based units are a bit different. But there are several land based units that have been developed for both AC and DC. There are a few things that will be different from a boat based unit. You'll need a well and a pump. You'll also need to know local laws that apply to the brine discharge you'll create. You may need a second well for the brine or you may be allowed to spill it directly back. A large holding tank and a good idea on how much daily water use you'll need ex, drinking, showering, cleaning, landscaping etc. Also, is this to be supplemental to an existing water system, or a collection system? How a system like this is sized depends on how often you'll run it. 70 to 120 lph is on the very small size for all but the bare essentials. As noted above the pre-filtration is different for land based systems. Most good systems will monitor themselves and can be activated when the holding tank reaches a predetermined low level, flush itself and monitor the pre-filtration system.. Again depending on your water needs and uses chances are good you'll need a larger system than you've stated but there are a lot of things to be considered before I could tell you what size, type, or brand, of system would properly suit you.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water