Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 21:54   #1

Water makers...

Hi everyone,

I've read a few threads where some people were stating that their water maker was an absolute hassle to own and operate. One example was in the thread of gizmos and such.

Can anyone verify what may be those hassles or inconveniences may be?? I just thought that as long as you kept the filter clean and it was pretty much simple.

Please let me know if you have one and what your experiences were or are with them.. Thanks for your time and input! Cheers
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 17:49   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Having owned 3 different watermakers on 2 different boats, I think I can speak from experience.
The first one was a very used PowerSurvivor 35. It lasted for a couple of years while cruising Mexico, with a couple of breakdowns. They were because of poor design and just being old imho.

We replaced the 35 with a used PowerSurvivor 80 which we purchased from a fellow cruiser. It was a much improved design and gave us no trouble up to the time we sold the boat.

Our current boat came with a Spectra 180. The only problem I have had was of my own neglect, winter freeze damage. The design of the Clark pump is such that when freezing occurs, the only thing which breaks is a hollow glass piston rod. I replaced it without any further problems and I moved the installation to below the waterline in the middle of the boat so it couldn't happen again! It is by far the best one of the lot, having owned it for ten years and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Spectra.

I've never used any chemicals to pickle it; I just flip a ball valve and it sucks up its own product water. After about 20 seconds of that I just shut it off. That procedure is good for at least 6 months in the Pacific Northwest. Others have disagreed with that operation, but it works for me.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 17:54   #3

Thanks steve for your time and input! Much appreciated!! I definitely want one on our boat so we can have the option to stay away for as long as we want without having to plan and plot out way to the next watering hole.. Cheers.
Old 03-09-2007, 19:26   #4

Also, how can you verify if the water is indeed pure?? Do you periodically check the water with a tester strip like a pool?? Or do you just assume and hope for the best?? Cheers
Old 03-09-2007, 20:05   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I use the meter that came with the watermaker. It checks Total Dissolved Solids ppm.
I check it after a few minutes of running at which time it reads about 125 ppm or less. Then I divert the output to the tank. The ppm gets lower as it runs longer. The water always tastes great, and is quite soft for showers as well.

Total Dissolved Solids Meter

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 20:08   #6

Thanks Steve for the quick reply. I've always been a guest and never really looked into any of this until we decided to get our own.. We just took everything for granted.. I did figure that there must have been something to either monitor it yourself manually or a built in monitor.. Thanks again for the clearing that up!! Cheers!!