Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2024, 21:13   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Water not getting to fresh water pump

I’ve been having some issues with the water pressure on my boat. I drained the tank to clean the strainer before the pump and after filling the tank back up, the pump won’t prime and when removing the strainer, it doesn’t appear any water is getting to the pump. I’m assuming it’s either air in the line or the hose is clogged. Are there any tricks to get this fixed? I’d assume maybe snaking the line but unsure if you can just use a normal (new of course) snake in flexible hoses.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 14:50   #2

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: Water not getting to fresh water pump

Could be the pump is a bit worn and can't pull enough suction to prime, assuming the tank is lower than the pump. I've had some luck pressurizing the tank by overfilling the tank, using a bicycle type pump, or even blowing hard into the vent line. How far must the pump raise water to prime?
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 15:04   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Test the pump, with pump off disconnect the pipes from the pump. Get a hose from bucket to input, test pump briefly. Reconnect output hose and test again with a faucet open. If it wont suck it from the bucket you have a pump issue assuming it is a self priming type.

To test the line from the tank blow back down the line, or if you have a wet and dry vacuum cleaner or hand pump try sucking water through
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 15:52   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Blocked tank vent, bad valves in the pump

Tags
pump, water, water pump