Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2020, 12:00   #1

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch
Water pressure too high?

We have a Jabsco 36950-2000 fresh water pump and Jabsco accumulator tank, as many of you probably do.

The pump is supposed to cut in at 20psi and out at 40psi and always has.

Currently when I test psi from the accumulator tank my cut in is 30 and out at 50.

I tried playing with the accumulator tank valve to remove air but when I do the pump seems insistent on restoring 30/50.

The pump runs longer to get the pressure this high and besides wasting energy I worry it might stress the pump and/or accumulator tank.

Some pumps have an adjustment knob or screw for this purpose, but not this unit.

Your thoughts? Is this pressure OK/normal and I'm worrying about nothing? Got a way of adjusting the psi that is not in the manual?
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:13   #2

Re: Water pressure too high?

Not sure adjusting the bladder pressure is a good way to adjust pump psi cut off. Once the bladder is completely inflated, The water is hard against the shell, wont it just pressurize to what ever the pump does anyway?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 13:12   #3

Boat: Celestial 48

The accumulator tank will not affect the pressure cutout of the pump at all.

If pressure switch is not adjustable, would need to replace. This is available as a service part.

50 psi is not really anything to worry about. Normally the water system in a house (if a pressure regulator is used) is set to something in range of 40 to 60 psi. Most plumbing codes don't consider residential water pressure as "too high" and requiring a pressure regulator be added unless pressure is over 80 psi (but that is certainly higher than you want).

With system under no pressure you should pressurized the bladder in the accumulator to about 2 psi less that the cut-in pressure on the pump. If you let the air out of the accumulator bladder it can't do its job.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 13:33   #4

I agree, I'd be happy with the higher pressure actually.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 08:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
The accumulator tank will not affect the pressure cutout of the pump at all.

If pressure switch is not adjustable, would need to replace. This is available as a service part.

50 psi is not really anything to worry about. Normally the water system in a house (if a pressure regulator is used) is set to something in range of 40 to 60 psi. Most plumbing codes don't consider residential water pressure as "too high" and requiring a pressure regulator be added unless pressure is over 80 psi (but that is certainly higher than you want).

With system under no pressure you should pressurized the bladder in the accumulator to about 2 psi less that the cut-in pressure on the pump. If you let the air out of the accumulator bladder it can't do its job.
Good info Dennis, thank you. It's reassuring to know that 50psi is acceptable and won't explode the accumulator tank or hoses.

We recently emptied our water tanks and I knew I would need to pressurize and bleed the system. The accumulator tank had zero psi and since it comes from the factory pre-pressurized to 20psi (says so on the label!) I did just that.

Are you saying that pressurizing the accumulator tank to less than 20psi (18) is the way to go?
Old 13-05-2020, 16:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jenneau Prestige 46
Send a message via Skype™ to desdestiny

Remove the accumulator tank, direct wire the pressure pump motor to the Even Flow controll.
See it operating
PM me for more information
desdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 06:59   #7

Boat: Endeavour 30 catamaran

New pressure switches for the pump are available from amazon and other places for around 50 dollars. Might want to take the switch apart and check for junk in the diaphragm. Make sure your pressure gauge is accurate! Jabsco recommends accumulator pressure of 10lbs.
landlockedgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2020, 08:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdestiny View Post
Remove the accumulator tank, direct wire the pressure pump motor to the Even Flow controll.
That Even Flow system is sweet. The video shows it being used with a shower, but are you saying it could replace use of a pressurized accumulator tank?

Do you know where it's available in the U.S.?
Old 14-05-2020, 16:09   #9
Marine Service Provider

The Even Flow is available online, there are many happy customers in Canada, USA, UK and Australia. The pressure sensor does not care what it is operating - it adjusts the motor speed to maintain constant pressure.
There is also a bluetooth App (Windows only) which allows monitoring of the internal parameters and adjust the settings. However default settings are Ok for 99% of installations.
DC motor control using PWM is standard procedure for variable motor control.
Like other Pulse width modulated DC motor control, it runs much better without an accumulator tank.
On the subject of accumulator tanks. These are in common use in remote home domestic water systems. However the larger the tank, the better the system operates. On boats there is insufficient space for a large enough tank to be effective.
Best to fit the controller, remove the accumulator tank and use the space for storage.
Des
Old 15-05-2020, 07:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdestiny View Post
The Even Flow is available online, there are many happy customers in Canada, USA, UK and Australia.
Des
Des, can you provide a link?

The Google machine isn't revealing any vendors other than Edgetec in Oz.
Old 15-05-2020, 07:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedgm View Post
New pressure switches for the pump are available from amazon and other places for around 50 dollars. Might want to take the switch apart and check for junk in the diaphragm. Make sure your pressure gauge is accurate! Jabsco recommends accumulator pressure of 10lbs.
Update- swapped the pressure switch with one from a spare and now it cuts in at 30 and out at 40, which is within spec and makes me happy.

The pump seems to run longer than before, so I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 15-05-2020, 12:19   #12
Marine Service Provider

Grace
I am the designer/developer/manufacture of the product.
I am located in Oz
des

Tags
water