Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 12:57   #1
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
water storage question

If we put our boat on the hard for four months, what's the best way to take care of the fresh water system. We've got 200 gallon tankage in four custom stainless tanks. Is it best to drain them for storage? Fill them and add weak chlorine?
A gallon of WD-40? The tanks are 30 years old and gettting brittle near the welds. There are internal rust spots where baffles are spot welded. With a couple layers of FRP on the outside I'm hoping to get a year or two more out of them before replacing them with standard plastic tanks and a big watermaker.

Recommendations for storage thru hurricane season?
Old 04-06-2015, 13:07   #2

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~
Re: water storage question

Canibul, we store our Island Packet on the hard for hurricane season, also. We simply empty the entire tank before we haul out. After we launch, we fill our tank. But usually before we launch, we will put in a couple of 5 gallon jugs-worth, just so we can wash our hands, etc., while we are working in the yard.

I'm sure everyone has their own way of doing things, but that is what we do. Hope that helps.

I forgot to mention...we haul those 5 gallon jugs up using the davits....pant pant!
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 13:39   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

We make sure the tanks are empty when we haul. Prior to launch we'll run a gallon or so of fw with a bit of bleach in it through each tank to make sure the lines are clean before we fill the tanks.
Old 04-06-2015, 21:17   #4

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

You didn't mention the climate. If it is somewhere it will freeze you need to pump the tanks out and put in some "drinking water antifreeze" and pump it through all your pumps. Bleach corrodes stainless steel you might want to do a flush but don't let it sit in there. If the rust is accessible there is a product that neutralizes rust( turns it back into metal) that you can paint on, I can't remember its name but it's sold in hardware stores shouldn't have a problem finding it. And don't even think about putting WD 40 in your tanks
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:08   #5
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Thanks for the obvious consensus. I'll drain them and just flush and refill when we come back home in October. No freeze issues here in the history of mankind.

Tags
storage, water