Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2007, 15:49   #1

Boat: now floating easy37
water tanks

been thinking about knocking up my own to take advantage of space, is aluminium a suitable material or is that whole alzheimer thing to scary?
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 17:34   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Aluminum is okay but stainless steel is better. Aluminum will leave a taste to the water, however a good charcoal filter will remove that. The key to aluminum or stainless tank longevity is proper installation.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 17:48   #3

Sean, I got mine made by Atlas Tanks in food grade plastic. They have a range of standard sizes but also custom build to make best use of space. They have all the fittings and level gauges available too. Website : www.atlastanks.com.au

It's obviously cheaper to build your own, but having buit my own holding tank, I can say it's a bloody fiddly job, and takes a lot longer (and costs more) than you expect.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 18:45   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
It's obviously cheaper to build your own, but having buit my own holding tank, I can say it's a bloody fiddly job, and takes a lot longer (and costs more) than you expect.
It sums it up as well as posible. It's the getting to the end part ythat has to count for something.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 19:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Plywood, epoxy, and fiberglass cloth are also a good material for the DIY'er to build watertanks out of. There was a thread about this awhile back. I used 3/8 ply for about a 35 gallon tank with one baffle and I also put in a cleanout port in each section.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 19:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rust
Plywood, epoxy, and fiberglass cloth are also a good material for the DIY'er to build watertanks out of. There was a thread about this awhile back. I used 3/8 ply for about a 35 gallon tank with one baffle and I also put in a cleanout port in each section.
I built my holding tank this way. I was a little concerned about having an epoxy lined drinking water tank, because of the toxic stuff that epoxy contains. Also possible allergic reactions. Although I am aware that plenty of people do have epoxy water tanks and have no probs.
Old 27-07-2007, 20:57   #7

I am going for the soft plastic tanks from Plastimo. I have used them before and I think they are much cheaper and have better tasting water than other tanks.
For what it cost me to have aluminium fuel tanks built into the hull (very expensive) I just cannot justify that sort of expense for a water tank.
My powered trimaran is being painted this week, more photos, next week.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 14:20   #8

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat
I built my holding tank this way. I was a little concerned about having an epoxy lined drinking water tank, because of the toxic stuff that epoxy contains. Also possible allergic reactions. Although I am aware that plenty of people do have epoxy water tanks and have no probs.
Mine are epoxy, ply,glass used as a divider noise control between the 2 front cab's on BD panel.

Should be about 2x400l

These are part of the structure.

Dave
Old 28-07-2007, 14:26   #9

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau
I am going for the soft plastic tanks from Plastimo. I have used them before and I think they are much cheaper and have better tasting water than other tanks.
For what it cost me to have aluminium fuel tanks built into the hull (very expensive) I just cannot justify that sort of expense for a water tank.
My powered trimaran is being painted this week, more photos, next week.
Have to ask, why not use the underfloor section as a tank like my mates alloy cat, most commercial and mine.???

Maybe all fuel, like mine? :-)

Dave
Old 28-07-2007, 16:17   #10
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Plenty of info on this thread....

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...anks-5908.html

I think we'll go with roto-molded plastic for all our tanks.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 16:46   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In an article on fuel tank design in the current issue of "Passagemaker magazine"(August 07) it was mentioned that plastic tanks will not support clean out ports. Something that I didn't know before. They also can not be built with baffles, so if your tanks are quite large that is a consideration. Also, plastic tanks must be fully supported on the bottom.

Edit: of course these considerations would also affect water tanks. I think clean out ports are even more necessary in a water tank.
Old 28-07-2007, 17:45   #12
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
This one kinda looks like it's got a clean-out!

Tek-Tanks - Custom made or standard fit water, waste and fuel tanks
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 18:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
In an article on fuel tank design in the current issue of "Passagemaker magazine"(August 07) it was mentioned that plastic tanks will not support clean out ports. Something that I didn't know before. They also can not be built with baffles, so if your tanks are quite large that is a consideration. Also, plastic tanks must be fully supported on the bottom.

Edit: of course these considerations would also affect water tanks. I think clean out ports are even more necessary in a water tank.
The plastic tanks I have have clean out ports. If they were large enough to need them, baffles could have been built in too. I don't know where passagemaker magazine got their info from.
Old 28-07-2007, 19:12   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hmmm, yet another hero with feet of clay...<gr>

Or perhaps I need to re-read the article.
Old 28-07-2007, 20:55   #15

Boat: now floating easy37
i built my 120l holding tank out of ply and epoxy as well which took about 6 hours and and cost about 70$, i have access to free ally plate and a pulse mig so knocking up a tank would be easy i just wanted to ask about health concerns with the ally
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote