Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2020, 10:52   #1

Watermaker and freshwater pump issue! Please help!

I have a Dessalator Duo 100 Watermaker and anytime I switch it on, the boats freshwater pump immediately kicks on and stays on as well. I can't seem to figure out why this is happening.
Old 22-12-2020, 10:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Watermaker and freshwater pump issue! Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixman1 View Post
I have a Dessalator Duo 100 Watermaker and anytime I switch it on, the boats freshwater pump immediately kicks on and stays on as well. I can't seem to figure out why this is happening.
Check your valve lineup it sounds like it is set for the fw flush cycle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201222-105827_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	229174  
Old 22-12-2020, 11:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Check your valve lineup it sounds like it is set for the fw flush cycle
I ensured that it was all plumbed properly. And that the flush valve is in the forward position. As stated in the manual. All I can think is maybe the auto flush solenoid is stuck on?
Old 22-12-2020, 15:04   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixman1 View Post
I ensured that it was all plumbed properly. And that the flush valve is in the forward position. As stated in the manual. All I can think is maybe the auto flush solenoid is stuck on?
Sounds to me that the solenoid may be the issue .
Old 23-12-2020, 08:37   #5

Boat: X-Yachts X4.9 15.0m

The relevant section of the Dessalator manual is attached...I have a Dessalator Cruise.

The FW rinse solenoid is normally closed when there is no power applied to the Watermaker. If the FW pump does not run when there is no power to the Watermaker then the FW rinse solenoid must be closed and the manual rinse valve must be in the correct position until power is applied to the Watermaker.

Most probably the Watermaker control board is incorrectly applying power to the rinse solenoid when it is not in rinse cycle. Para 3 of the extract of the manual explains how to test this.

A more common problem that I have experienced is that the FW rinse solenoid fails to close properly after a rinse cycle....but in this case the FW pump will continue to run intermittently even when the power is turned off to the Watermaker because the valve has not seat mechanically. The manual extract explains how to fix this as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dessalator Manual Extract.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	229232  
dcarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 08:52   #6

Boat: Dean 440 Custom Cat

I dont want to hijack this thread but need advise... With only the low pressure pump running I am getting a trickle of water coming out of the fresh water side of the membrane. What could cause this?

TIA
psahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 09:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psahd View Post
I dont want to hijack this thread but need advise...

TIA
If you don't want to hijack a thread, but still need help, then solution is to start your own thread with your specific problem.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2020, 09:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarratt View Post
The relevant section of the Dessalator manual is attached...I have a Dessalator Cruise.

The FW rinse solenoid is normally closed when there is no power applied to the Watermaker. If the FW pump does not run when there is no power to the Watermaker then the FW rinse solenoid must be closed and the manual rinse valve must be in the correct position until power is applied to the Watermaker.

Most probably the Watermaker control board is incorrectly applying power to the rinse solenoid when it is not in rinse cycle. Para 3 of the extract of the manual explains how to test this.

A more common problem that I have experienced is that the FW rinse solenoid fails to close properly after a rinse cycle....but in this case the FW pump will continue to run intermittently even when the power is turned off to the Watermaker because the valve has not seat mechanically. The manual extract explains how to fix this as well.
This sounds like the likely culprit and the right procedure for troubleshooting. None of that is in the duo 100 manual at all. The trouble shooting section is very sparse. Thank you for attaching that.
I’ll have to wait till I am in cleaner water to test this.
Old 31-12-2020, 13:07   #9

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello,
Move the handle on the right side of the raw water filter up or down. This would stop water flow from tank. If this doesn't work, disconnect the connector from electrovane. If this doesn't work the electfovane have dirt inside and don't close well. It can be dismantled for cleaning.
Remember, pushing fresh water under pressure through membranes causes damages to it. Wenn fresh water is flooding through pressure regulator must be fully open.
Good luck
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, pump, water, water pump, watermaker