Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2022, 04:31   #1

Watermaker below waterline, still need boost pump?

I'm upgrading my watermaker - which is currently a 6GPH and is mounted above the waterline. Due to re-arranging my battery bank, I now have the opportunity to mount it about 2 feet below the waterline. If the watermaker is installed entirely below the waterline, is there still need for a booster pump?

My guess on this is "yes", since you still have to go through 1 or 2 filters, but if I have the opportunity to eliminate the boost pump (and the 8 amps it draws) that would be nice.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:29   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Watermaker below waterline, still need boost pump?

What type of watermaker? A 6gph system with an 8amp boost pump sounds like a energy recovery system like a Spectral, which mean the boost pump is "THE PUMP".

But I say the answer is yes no matter what.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:33   #3

I'm actually replacing the system with a 33 GPH system, 6GPH just doesn't cut it for a family of 7.

What I have is not an energy recovery system but is pretty efficient. The system that's on there now has a small jabsco diaphragm pump as the booster pump, 1/3 HP motor and a hydracell pump with a 20" membrane. I'm planning to sell it.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:39   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

you need the boost pump!
Old 07-03-2022, 06:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Even if consistently one foot below the waterline, that only about 0.4 PSI in your supply. A small diaphram pump will give you a consistent 35 PSI. Don't make your watermaker suck...
Old 07-03-2022, 14:22   #6

Think about an AC water pump since you’re running your generator to operate your high-pressure pump it would make sense to have an AC as opposed to a 12 Volt, you get a drain your battery bagttery unless you have the battery charger that will work while you’re making water
Ranger2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 14:51   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

I have an AC water maker but have a 12 volt boost pump. This was done specifically so that I could use and automated system 12 volt to flush my membranes every few days with freshwater This used the boats main power source without having to leave inverter on. In regards to 12 volt or AC pump, I dont think it makes a lot of difference if you are not going to have the auto flush system. 12 volt pumps are easy to find anywhere. Yes I would put one in the system. Cheap insurance you keep the expensive pressure pump happy.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, watermaker