Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2012, 10:12   #16

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Yes.
What about T-ing into the discharge side of shower?
I guess I could but not sure if it would backflow into the sump. I suppose a one way valve could solve that
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 18:06   #17

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Watermaker Brine discharge Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Am I wrong in thinking if the unit uses 20 gph to make 1.4 gph than 18.6 gph is disposed of as brine water. Does your unit not constantly put out brunette seawater?? Or am I misunderstanding something?
NO, The brine comes out when I start it up, Crap water in the pipes, I taste it, when it is fresh water, I switch it over to the tanks, 60 gallons later of freshwater, about 3 hours, I switch it back to clean out the water maker,

I lose about 2 gallons all up, At most, which is water I cant use any way, its the before and after of the full cycle, I never measured it, I just dump it,

PO set it up as he was living on a swing mooring permanently, It works great, I have not had any problems with it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 20:09   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B

NO, The brine comes out when I start it up, Crap water in the pipes, I taste it, when it is fresh water, I switch it over to the tanks, 60 gallons later of freshwater, about 3 hours, I switch it back to clean out the water maker,

I lose about 2 gallons all up, At most, which is water I cant use any way, its the before and after of the full cycle, I never measured it, I just dump it,

PO set it up as he was living on a swing mooring permanently, It works great, I have not had any problems with it,
You have a brine discharge at all times that the watermaker is operating
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 22:23   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You have a brine discharge at all times that the watermaker is operating
I havent really looked at the masses of hoses in there.
But I have a valve and it either spits it out on the cockpit floor or into the tanks, Its great fresh water,

But as you say, if it spits out brine all the time, It must go through one of the other hoses, probably back thru the intake,
As it doesnt spit brine out of any where except that valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water maker.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	50472  
Old 30-11-2012, 05:46   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Back pressure is not an problem for the discharge, and ours worked well with a T into a midships sink drain (sinks not midships may have issues when heeled). The gurgling noises in the sink let me know when the watermaker was pumping properly.
Indeed.
The reject smells rather foul, so a sink stopper helps.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:50   #21

Boat: gozzard 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I guess I could but not sure if it would backflow into the sump. I suppose a one way valve could solve that
In my installation the brine is teed into the shower sump line after the vented loop.
No one-way valve is needed, gravity does the rest (though I haven't made water while taking a shower - if you know what I mean).

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:19   #22

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

dont you want the discharge to be visible so you know everything is operating as it should?
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:25   #23

Boat: gozzard 44

The brine discharge should be above the waterline so you can monitor the flow.
Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:50   #24
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Mr. B - You must have a brine discharge that spits when water is being made. This will output brine whenever your watermaker is on and its not the output your speaking of. Somewhere you have a output discharging 4-5 times the volume of water being made. Its how all watermakers work. Maybe read up on watermaker tech before offering advice, as you seem to be confused about how they operate.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:00   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Mr.B,
RR is right, you're a bit confused. No big deal though. First you need to understand some simple terminology. Product water- this is the fresh water made. Brine water - this is the concentrated salt water that goes overboard after the product water is removed. There are two points on your watermaker that water will flow out of. One for the product and one for the brine. If you look at the picture you posted, the product water comes out from the grey valve on the top of the pic with the Sharpie writing on it. This valve is selected for either the product water flowing to your tanks or selected for the product water to come out of the short braided hose to test before routing it to your tanks. The grey valve at the bottom of the pic is the brine discharge. The vlave is selected to route the brine discharge overboard or selected in the other direction for pickling and storage. I see this unit is not installed. If you need help just ask when you are ready to properly install it. Also this is a Village Marine Little Wonder unit, it will only make 6 or 9 rated gallons per hour.
Ronbo1 is correct, the brine discharge thru hull should be a few inches above the waterline to easily monitor what's going on with your watermaker while it is operating. Routing brine discharge lines elsewhere is not worth the long term aggravation.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 15:38   #26

Your both right, I dont have any idea on the water maker, I have never used one before this boat, But It worked and it worked well,
I had no problems with it at all, I just offered the info on what it did, and how I operated it,
Under the bed where it was on my new boat was a mass of spagetti hoses which went every where,

It had filters, pumps, multiple connections, heater, you name it, it was all jammed in there,

and I for one was not going to pull it apart half way across an ocean to figure out what any thing did, or how it worked, I will sort out this mess when I get home and the boats tied up to a wet berth beside a wharfe with easy access and plenty of time on my hands,

The water maker was the least of my problems, I made water from the rain as well any way, I had plenty of water,

Its now out of the boat along with every thing else that was removed so the boat can be repaired. When I put it back in the boat, I will know how it works and where all the hoses go to, Including the excess brine line, which I dont know where it discharges too, and didnt know it did,

Some of those hoses are discharging and intaking under the water line, which ones are which, they dissapear through the bulkheads and under the floors and are untracable, Coloured dye will help,

But my thru hulls under the hulls are being removed in my rebuild, They will be repositioned to transom positions or side openings, places where they cant be damaged by sitting the boat on a beach,

I have 3 rooms full of stuff that came out of this boat, I will know what it all does as I put it back in, Nicely organised instead of a tangled mess,

But thanks for the info on the excess brine line, I had no idea that was happening,or where it was going too, as I didnt see any discharge. Thats another line under the waterline I will have to find,
Old 01-12-2012, 15:46   #27
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

One more thing Mr. B and I don't mean to be a PITA. But did you pickled the watermaker before you removed it?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 16:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
One more thing Mr. B and I don't mean to be a PITA. But did you pickled the watermaker before you removed it?
No I didnt, It was all submerged, every thing was just unbolted and removed or thrown in the rubbish, It will need new filters,and refurbishing,

All electrics are being replaced as well, every thing under 4 feet above the hulls was cactus,
Your not a PITA, your helpfull, These are all new things I am learning,

Its insults that are not helpfull,

Cheers,
Brian,

Tags
watermaker