Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 23:09   #1

Boat: Seawind 1160
Watermaker - Check valve and bleed valves after filters

Hey guys,

I'm trying to squeeze some filters into a nice convenient spot to make changing them easier, but my plumbing tetris skills are letting me down.

My plan wants a check valve leaving the filters, then a bleed valve, then off to the high-pressure pump.

I just can't manage to neatly arrange this in the cramped space I have. My question is... can I put the bleed valve BEFORE the check valve or will this negate it's usefulness?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2017, 16:30   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Watermaker - Check valve and bleed valves after filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoDave View Post
Hey guys,

I'm trying to squeeze some filters into a nice convenient spot to make changing them easier, but my plumbing tetris skills are letting me down.

My plan wants a check valve leaving the filters, then a bleed valve, then off to the high-pressure pump.

I just can't manage to neatly arrange this in the cramped space I have. My question is... can I put the bleed valve BEFORE the check valve or will this negate it's usefulness?

Thanks.

Depends on what watermaker you are talking about. Chances are good you need neither a bleed valve or a check valve.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 18:56   #3

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Do your filters have a pressure relief button on top of the housing? I honestly can't think of any other reason for a "bleed valve". Also, the check valve is a safety device in case you have valve issues on the HP pump and keeps (or is supposed to) excessive pressure from back feeding into the filter housings. You could as has been mentioned not install either one and probably be ok. But it may void the warranty so you should make sure that the installation is done as per mfg. recommendations if at all possible. What type of watermaker did you buy?.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 01:47   #4

Boat: Seawind 1160

Standard filter canisters feeding into a 1hp DC motor direct-driving a 1.6GPM general-pumps triplex pump.

I can see that whenever I change out a filter there will be air introduced, so I imagine a bleed valve would be a good thing to have.

I eventually managed to install both by using a few 90 degree elbows. The bleed is at the high-point of the water circuit, so it should work well.

Tags
water, watermaker