Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 00:54   #16

Boat: Lexcen 40 - Leverage
Re: Watermaker High Pressure Hose Length ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
If you're willing to hard plumb you could use SS tube or refrigeration copper tube. The fittings should be a bit less and the tube a lot less. You just have to get the bends right.

BTW- Teflon tape is generally for tapered threads (pipe) to prevent galling and add to the seal. Straight thread fittings use a lip seal of some sort, the threads are to just draw it tight, not seal.

I would love to hard-plumb, but there's no way I could get it through all the bends in one piece, I would need to do it in a bunch of pieces. :\ Interesting that copper would also work though, I would have thought it too thin. Are we talking just flared connections or sweated/soldered? Or either/or?

As for the teflon tape - the threads are all NPT which is tapered. So I'm assuming by your note above that teflon is OK. Again, quite suprizing that teflon tape is OK in a high pressure environment. I'm very happy to hear that instead of "go out and buy Magic Permatex Gasketing Sealant Number X".

Thanks!
akio.kanemoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:24   #17

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Watermaker High Pressure Hose Length ?

Refrigeration copper tube has a thicker wall. Places that do large refer installs would know where your supplier would be. You could do it in sections with connections at the bulkheads.

Flared connections adapted to pipe fitting would work and they can be purchased in SS or brass. McMaster-Carr

When I use to do the connections for the CNG compressors (5000 psi) I would use teflon tape (the SS type). The main thing is not to get any pieces in the line.

For the flared connections you would need a good aircraft tubing 37º flare tool, about US$120. Add up the numbers. It could be less then the AU$1300.

Tags
watermaker