Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2020, 08:33   #1

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Watermaker HP Hose

What is the best hose to use for a watermaker high pressure hose? What size also?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 08:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Watermaker HP Hose

I had to have an extra long hose and ended up ordering it from Cruise RO, as I couldn’t source one for salt water, and of course drinkable water, and any hose you get, if it has even a small amount of oil in it, will damage the membranes.
It wasn’t cheap either
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 09:29   #3

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Yep, the hose and fittings are expensive especially stainless steel. Add a SS quick connect or two and it really adds up. I see a lot of different types of hose being used and some of it I cant find SS end connectors for. I think the PTFE lined hose would be good but I cant find SS reusable end fittings for it. Then there is the 3/8" BSPP connection on the pump and 1/4" NPT on the HP housing.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 09:38   #4

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

You certainly can buy watermaker HO hose from the watermaker companies, at an INSANE price.

Or you can take your old hose to any hydraulic hose company and they'll be happy to make you exactly what you need--while you wait. A custom length to fit exactly as you want it to fit. Stainless or plastic as you wish and want to pay for.

It will cost a VERY small fraction of premade hoses. Hydraulic hoses are a staple of any industrial economy. Last time we needed a watermaker hose we were in Charlotte Amalie and there was a hose dealer within walking distance of the dinghy dock. Common as dirt.

While you are there, ask the experts how to install the fittings on the end of the hose, and follow their directions EXACTLY! If you over tighten or otherwise mess up, the flare cracks and will leak.

Inspect the fittings the hose attaches to. if there are any cracks or corrosion, or even small scratches pull them out and take them to be replaced as well. Be REALLY picky. If you even wonder for a second, "Is this ok?" replace it. They are cheap. Sealing 800 or 900 PSI isn't easy.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker