Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2021, 08:15   #1

Watermaker initial test product water

I'm thinking about adding an inexpensive inline TDS meter to our Spectra Ventura installation. My question is where to route the test water -- I'm thinking about the sump or bilge.

For the last 2 years, I've tested the product water by taking the output tube from the cabinet under the galley sink, setting the hose in the sink and testing with a manual meter. Once the product water quality is OK, I flip the valve routing water to our small watertank. This works fine, but is a bit clumsy (leaving the galley sink cabinet door open and the exposed hose).

With the inline TDS meter, I could eliminate the process of moving the output tube and just let the initial product water route to somewhere. What do you think about routing to the sump or bilge?

With this, I would still monitor the initial product water and have to manually flip the valve. It might be nice to rinse the bilge out with somewhat fresh water!

Thanks
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 08:22   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Watermaker initial test product water

Why not a add a small spigot to the galley sink?
Old 16-06-2021, 08:53   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Why not a add a small spigot to the galley sink?
That's certainly an option, though with I've tried to avoid making any permanent changes to the boat due to the watermaker. I'd have to drill through the Corian countertop, etc.
Old 16-06-2021, 11:11   #4

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

How ‘bout routing the waste line from your water maker to the engine raw water cooling line?
Rinsing out the salt water with not quite good enough made fresh water might decrease some engine corrosion. Possibly higher value than rinsing your bilges.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 11:59   #5

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Wherever you route it make sure it does not put back pressure on the output line. Your water maker won't like that.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 12:05   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
With the inline TDS meter, I could eliminate the process of moving the output tube and just let the initial product water route to somewhere. What do you think about routing to the sump or bilge?
I have always just let my sample water from my VT-150 go to the bilge. It is a minor amount of water, not even enough to consider as any type of bilge flushing.
Old 16-06-2021, 12:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have always just let my sample water from my VT-150 go to the bilge. It is a minor amount of water, not even enough to consider as any type of bilge flushing.
I was just replying to the thread -- If you think about the initial test product water, the output of our Spectra 8 gal/hour is less than 1 gallon in 5 minutes. We start making quality water in less time. I agree, we are only talking a little bit of water.
Old 16-06-2021, 12:13   #8

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Besides the convenience of having a product water spigot at the sink, it makes for a nice spot to fill water bottles, etc. I have often had folks on board who preferred to NOT drink tank water, and would fill their drinking water bottles from the product spigot.

And YES, our tanks and tank water were fine.
jamhass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 16:19   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
How ‘bout routing the waste line from your water maker to the engine raw water cooling line?

Rinsing out the salt water with not quite good enough made fresh water might decrease some engine corrosion. Possibly higher value than rinsing your bilges.

That’s, frankly, an awful idea. The water being introduced to the engine cooling circuit needs to go somewhere, without the engine running the chances of filling the water lift and flooding the exhaust are way too high.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 16:32   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
That’s, frankly, an awful idea. The water being introduced to the engine cooling circuit needs to go somewhere, without the engine running the chances of filling the water lift and flooding the exhaust are way too high.
Agree, and also introduces potential, unexpected problems in the engine, seawater intake.

I'm leaning towards sailorboy1's idea of dumping 1/2 gallon of water in the shower sump or bilge.
Old 16-06-2021, 16:34   #11

I timed mine and every half dozen or so times I check with a meter...it always made decent water after 2 minutes. Never a surprise.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 17:28   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

even if it doesn't make "good" water for a few minutes and it goes into the water tank, is it really going to be a problem by the time it dilutes with good water?

But in the end why make something simple complex?
Old 16-06-2021, 18:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
even if it doesn't make "good" water for a few minutes and it goes into the water tank, is it really going to be a problem by the time it dilutes with good water?

But in the end why make something simple complex?
And the salt & minerals might be good too!

If the watermaker is working well, then no problem putting a few minutes of higher TDS into 3 hours of water.... or 1/2 gallon out of 30 gallons. However, if there's a problem, you could contaminate the entire tank. We have two tanks, the larger one we keep in reserve and cycle through the smaller tank with RO water every 2 or 3 days.
Old 17-06-2021, 14:02   #14

Boat: J42

Our system has a diverter valve to deliver product water to the galley sink fresh water foot pump spigot. It is teed after the foot pump so does not go into the tank, and can be sampled for TDM and used to fill jerry jugs. The tanks are filled via separate valved lines. No need for adding another spigot.
Boston Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 14:14   #15

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

I have the same under the sink hose/valve - I put the hose in the sink, turn the valve to test, then start the Spectra. After 2 minutes I go to the sink, stick the hose in my mouth, and if it tastes ok, I turn the valve.

Am I the only one who doesn't use a TDS meter? I had one 20 years ago, it broke 19 years ago. Seriously, I agree with previous comments, why make this more complicated than it needs to be? Humans have built in potable water detectors, I say use it!
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker