Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2020, 13:30   #31
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Watermaker Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
Thanks for the compliment. I had a lot of guidance and some assistance at a few points during the install from a pro.

Thanks for the offer of advice as well. Our boat is in Papeete, Tahiti, and we are in Canada. There is some chance that we can get back there in late July when "tourism" will open up and some flights will resume. But there is also a risk that everything will shut down again later in the year for a variety of reasons.

I pickled the watermaker before we left the boat using the recommended Spectra equipment and chemicals. How long can we safely leave the watermaker without re-pickling it? Spectra advises 6 months, but others have said a year is probably ok. What is your advice?

The SC-1 which is Spectras proprietary solution is good for six months. If you went 7-8 months I wouldn't be too concerned either. When we set these times on Spectras we always went very conservative. If you are going to use a powdered storage solution for a Spectra it absolutely MUST be the SC-1. But what I would prefer you to use is Propylene Glycol. This will better serve your Spectra and better protect the far more expensive parts of your watermaker other than the membrane. The added bonus is that it will store you system for at the least two years.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 16:09   #32

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

We followed Tellie's advice and pickled with propylene glycol in June 2016, removed the system in 2018, installed on new boat in Feb 2019, restarted in March 2019. We keep meticulous records on performance. Ran from April thru June 2019, and thruput essentially identical to previous in-service.

Its pickled now with propylene glycol, and projected to restart in April 2021. But i might hedge my bet and buy a new membrane. We really depend on watermaker in Bahamas. Our system was manufactured in Feb 2013, and sat in the box for two years before install. I dont know if a membrane has a date expiration, or a run time life?
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 16:17   #33
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
We followed Tellie's advice and pickled with propylene glycol in June 2016, removed the system in 2018, installed on new boat in Feb 2019, restarted in March 2019. We keep meticulous records on performance. Ran from April thru June 2019, and thruput essentially identical to previous in-service.

Its pickled now with propylene glycol, and projected to restart in April 2021. But i might hedge my bet and buy a new membrane. We really depend on watermaker in Bahamas. Our system was manufactured in Feb 2013, and sat in the box for two years before install. I dont know if a membrane has a date expiration, or a run time life?

Every membrane is different from the next. I tell people in my experience about 5-8 years is an average life span of a membrane. I've seen them last for 20 years and I've seen them fail within a year. So there's no real numbers on what you can really expect, especially on a boat based watermaker. Maintenance is too much of a factor here, mostly lack thereof. If the membrane you have now is older than 5-8 years then It might be wise to replace it before you head off shore. Of course if you're in the Ft. Luaderdale area give me a shout and if you like I'll come out and go through your system with you before you take off.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 16:26   #34

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
The SC-1 which is Spectras proprietary solution is good for six months. If you went 7-8 months I wouldn't be too concerned either. When we set these times on Spectras we always went very conservative. If you are going to use a powdered storage solution for a Spectra it absolutely MUST be the SC-1. But what I would prefer you to use is Propylene Glycol. This will better serve your Spectra and better protect the far more expensive parts of your watermaker other than the membrane. The added bonus is that it will store you system for at the least two years.
Many thanks for this. I wish I had chosen the Propylene Glycol option before leaving Tahiti. I will certainly be doing this in the future! Thanks again.
Old 26-06-2020, 17:40   #35

Hello sailor boy. We have a spectra Cape Horn extreme, it is kinda loud the high pressure pumps are louder than the Clark pump I think. There are 3 on board we shower every night and rinse with fresh water after swimming every day. We run the water maker about 3 hours a day. I am ok with the noise level because we can lay at anchor for weeks and never have to run a generator or the iron wind. They are by far not even close to the sound of a Honda 2000 running at idle. So there is compromise just like everything on the boat.
I like it think it is noisy but could be worse. Have been at anchor and boat beside us had water maker with generator. Ours was running and could hear their generator Honda 2200 over our water maker running.
Hope this helps.
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 17:45   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANET EXPRESS View Post
Hello sailor boy. We have a spectra Cape Horn extreme, it is kinda loud the high pressure pumps are louder than the Clark pump I think. There are 3 on board we shower every night and rinse with fresh water after swimming every day. We run the water maker about 3 hours a day. I am ok with the noise level because we can lay at anchor for weeks and never have to run a generator or the iron wind. They are by far not even close to the sound of a Honda 2000 running at idle. So there is compromise just like everything on the boat.
I like it think it is noisy but could be worse. Have been at anchor and boat beside us had water maker with generator. Ours was running and could hear their generator Honda 2200 over our water maker running.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the on topic post
Old 01-07-2020, 06:49   #37
CLOD

I have 3 WM related threads going because each really is a different topic to me. But they all drift together some, so from one of the others that is really a noise related post:

but the noise equation looks like this:

Run a:
Honda plus AC WM - 1-1.5 hour every 3 days (cost of WM $3000-3500)
Spectra VT-150 - 5 hours every 3 days (cost of WM $5600)
40E - run 6 hours EVERY day (cost of WM $3600)

The Honda noise isn't that bad really and I have had it right above my head in the cockpit running all night before for the air conditioning and the noise was like a fan running.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:46   #38

Well if your going to run generator anyways might as well get ac watermaker. I would get one with the highest production rate so not to have to run it long. Me I like only having to get gas for the dinghy only. And being at anchor without having to run any motors. Spent 6 months in Bahamas last year only ran generator 2 or three times wife wanted hot shower and other times cloudy rainy days lack of solar. Only ran air conditioner when in a marina so plugged in.
Did you make it to Dominican Republic? Think last thread seen from you were in Keys.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:24   #39
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANET EXPRESS View Post
Well if your going to run generator anyways might as well get ac watermaker.
Can't run the Honda and use battery charger, or run hot water heater, or have power for a big watermaker all at same time. So it isn't like you are already running the Honda for hot water and decide to run 1- WM, 2- battery charger (unless batteries are really mostly charged). Now if someone has a 5-10KW generator etc. this all is a different thing.

BTW - my Honda has run for a year without a problem since my installed POC diesel generator last died. It is quieter and more fuel efficient than the diesel ever was. I like it so much better really that I haven't even tried to fix (again) the diesel generator.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:18   #40

I use to have a built in diesel generator dumped money on it twice then ripped it out. Used raw water intake and exhaust for water maker ports. Then installed a hooka where it use to be it too runs on 12v.
On days when we are at anchor and forget to make water after being out in dinghy swimming, snorkeling,and drinking all day. The Honda will run battery charger used to make water and heat water at same time. We use a lot of water try very hard not to get salt water in cabin. So rinse everything off after water fun have often been in cockpit or deck on hot days and just hose off to cool down when don’t feel like jumping in.
With the spectra in 6 months used 2 filters in Bahamas made probably 50 or 60 gallons a day. Was very surprised at how much water we used when not worried about having to tote water to boat or go in. I like
I too worried over the purchase of water maker for a year or so very happy with spectra So far. Wish it was quieter but Where I had to install it plays a big part.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:13   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I have a Spectra 150D. I dont find it overly noisy, just like a humm and a tick sound when it strokes. A friend with a Katadyn 80 (I think) was shocked by how much quieter the Spectra is than the Katadyn.

AGREED my Spectra 200 runs on solar with a mild hum( 6gph at 7amps, 15 year old membrane). 'Crewed with a Pur80 that slammed like a machine needing immediate rescue, which is alarming to a sailor on Watch; listening for trouble. The CAT pumps use too much power, compared to a Spectra.
CaptnBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:50   #42

Boat: Oyster 49

My boat came with a Spectra 380C. It has twin pumps. So when on battery alone, I run a single pump. If motoring - or if the generator is running, I run the second pump. When sailing and using a single pump, you cannot hear anything when in the cockpit, and very little when below. Recently one pump became a bit noisy but now I have refurbished the head it is nice and quiet.
I am very happy with a watermaker that runs off the batteries

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:46   #43

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35

The 40e makes 5 liters per hour or just under 1.5gal. For me 1 hour during a day I can live with the noise, that is all the water I needed during my circumnavigation. It's another thing to sit at anchor and then listening to a generator to make water, how paradox.
wmgysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 13:07   #44

Boat: Cal 2-46

We have a Schenker 35. Very little noise and more than adequate for 4 people. Uses up to 10amps but normally the wind or solar provides this. Very quiet even though it is not in a sound insulated area.
Pete
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 16:02   #45

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

interested to see the very low output of some of these 'quiet' watermakers. at 5-10 LPH they ought to be quiet !

our 10 yo echotech might be a bit noiser (stress might...i don't know), but it also makes 80 LPH (that's over 21 GPH for metrically challenged folk).

let's compare apples with apples shall we ?

cheers,

Tags
noise, water, watermaker