Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2011, 00:10   #16

Boat: Hans Christian 48T
Re: Watermaker Prefilters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartoon View Post
Thanks Capn M. Ppm is about 200. Having now changed the filter, the culprit seems to be fine silt washed down from the Pearl River. Oh well, life was never simple!
I noticed lots of silt in the filter while going North on the Malacca Straits, past Kuala Lumpur and near the shallows of Penang. I suppose it is the same problem there.

I divert into the tank when the ppm reads about 270 and I test a little later and usually get 200 to 240. The automatic system usually start diverting into the tank at 500ppm, I just wait a little longer and always flush it with fresh water. Seems to work.
Old 23-10-2011, 05:17   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartoon View Post
Many thanks, Tellie.
1. About a foot below.
2. About 8 feet.
3. Yes, 3/4"
4. Yes and yes.

The 5 micron filter was totally black -- looks like Pear River Delta silt. Spectra have okayed a 20 micron filter so I'll try that, but it looks like I'll be limited to using the watermaker only when I go sailing. Good job I have shore water!

All perfect answers.
Usually, most of the time it's simply a dirty filter. Glad it was that simple for you.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 12:46   #18

Boat: Gozzard 41
Tellie,

I just purchased the same unit at the boat show">Annapolis boat show. I will be installing it some time this fall/winter and start cruising in the spring.

How far of a run can I make from the sea cock to the feed pump? The manual says to avoid long runs and I was wondering what they consider a "long run."

Thanks for your help,

Frank
Eleanor Q
Eleanor Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 13:22   #19

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We have a Spectra Newport 400 II.

For those of you installing new machines, Spectra Machines like voltage!Make sure to determine your power cable size and then go one size larger cable.

I routinely run the water maker when I am charging the batteries. The difference is 16 gallons per hour on batteries and 17.8 gallons per hour with a charging source on (Alternator or Gen Set), which bring the batteries up to 13.7 volts.

Frank you want to be as close to the thru hull as you can be.... Think of it like a bildge pump... The longer the run, the more head pressure and the less water going to the machine.

Cleaning filters as previously suggested should be done often. I either drag them behind the boat on a long line or hose them off at the dock. If they stink I soak them in a bucket of water with a little bit of bleach. Then I sun dry them, which causes the bleach to evaporate.

Spectra makes great water makers and there Tech Support is wonderful. They return emails quickly!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 21:24   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Q View Post
Tellie,

I just purchased the same unit at the Annapolis boat show. I will be installing it some time this fall/winter and start cruising in the spring.

How far of a run can I make from the sea cock to the feed pump? The manual says to avoid long runs and I was wondering what they consider a "long run."

Thanks for your help,

Frank
Eleanor Q

Hi Frank,

Certainly the shorter the run the better. But you'll notice in the box your unit came in that you'll be supplied with a good amount of anti collapsing hose with your new watermaker which is the hose used from the thru hull to the watermakers feed pump. Study your routing so that the run is no longer than the hose supplied and you'll be fine. For the 200T the more important factor is mounting the feed pump as close to the waterline as possible. The manual will say that you can mount the feed pump up to 36" above the water line, but the closer to the water line the better. Where most all watermakers require a boost pump, the 200T does not have one and is a bit different. The feed pump can actually draw water by creating it's own suction. But the less it has to work to draw water the more it can work feeding water making the whole system work a little less harder and producing it's proper rated capacity.
Will you be installing this unit yourself? If not make sure who ever does is certified for Spectra. Many problems I deal with in new Spectras are bad installs. If you do install it yourself, which I highly recommend so as to really help understand your watermaker, you can always ask me anytime for advice. It's not hard to do but good planning is necessary and figure at least two to three days to install it as it can be more time consuming than it appears. Like I said, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 18-10-2012, 08:32   #21

Tellie,
Thanks for the reply!
I actually bought the Catalina 300 MKII.
Just as you said, I am doing the installation in order to fully understand the unit! I have plenty of time as our cruise departure date is not until late spring.
The boat (Gozzard 41) had the first generation Catalina in it when I bought the boat. Knowing I would not use the water maker for several years, it was removed as part of the negotiation. So the good news is that it was previously plumb for the unit (with the exception of the lift pump.) It has a sea cock and hose to the area I will be installing the unit. However, it is black hose and would be a pain in the @## to change it out. I remember someone asking that question in an earlier post. I also located a charged fresh water line that I’m assuming was the back wash line. I still need to find the brine discharge and the fresh water tank feed.
The reason I asked the question about the “long run” is due to finding a location for the lift pump below the water line. In order to accomplish that I will need to run a line about 4 feet forward of the sea cock. That will probably leave me approximately 12 to 14 feed from the lift pump to the feed pump (maybe slightly less.)
Tellie, I’ve been reading your post for some time as I prepare our boat for our cruise and really appreciate what you do. The time you spend helping people is significant and I just want to say thanks!
If you don’t mind, I will take you up on your offer as I install the unit.
Thanks again,
Frank, Eleanor Q
Old 18-10-2012, 08:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoiland View Post
I'm trying to find the right type of 5 micron preprefilters used in Spectra Watermakers so I can purchase them elsewhere The one that came with my new 200T unit had no markings on it at all. I would think it's the same type used by all WM manufactures. I believe it is classified as a "pleated 100% poly cleanable". Am I right on this? Doe's anyone have a favorite manufacture they use?
I usually buy these filters in a case quantitiy from Fresh Water Systems or Ahdorma.com However.... I see you are in the PNW. My local Fred Meyer seems to have great prices on water filters and housings... I never go to their hardware dept (does anybody!?) but just happened on them once...in a panic for a filter housing..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 10:48   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Tellie,
Thanks for the reply!
I actually bought the Catalina 300 MKII.
Just as you said, I am doing the installation in order to fully understand the unit! I have plenty of time as our cruise departure date is not until late spring.
The boat (Gozzard 41) had the first generation Catalina in it when I bought the boat. Knowing I would not use the water maker for several years, it was removed as part of the negotiation. So the good news is that it was previously plumb for the unit (with the exception of the lift pump.) It has a sea cock and hose to the area I will be installing the unit. However, it is black hose and would be a pain in the @## to change it out. I remember someone asking that question in an earlier post. I also located a charged fresh water line that I’m assuming was the back wash line. I still need to find the brine discharge and the fresh water tank feed.
The reason I asked the question about the “long run” is due to finding a location for the lift pump below the water line. In order to accomplish that I will need to run a line about 4 feet forward of the sea cock. That will probably leave me approximately 12 to 14 feed from the lift pump to the feed pump (maybe slightly less.)
Tellie, I’ve been reading your post for some time as I prepare our boat for our cruise and really appreciate what you do. The time you spend helping people is significant and I just want to say thanks!
If you don’t mind, I will take you up on your offer as I install the unit.
Thanks again,
Frank, Eleanor Q

Thanks for the kind words Frank.

Sorry on the confusion between the 200T and the Cat300. Yeah, the older Cat 300s did not have the boost pumps. The addition of the boost pumps have solved a few problems. Unlike I stated about the 200T the Cat 300 does not create it's own significant draw. The 300s boost pump benefits you two fold. First it allows for a more comfortable longer feed run like you're explaining. I'd still keep the feed pump module as close to the waterline as possible. Try to keep the feed run as straight as possible avoiding up and down routing as best as you can. Secondly, the boost pump goes a long way in making the feed pump head last a lot longer giving it provides a positive head pressure the older 300s did not have. The black hose is fine as long as you don't notice any rubbery smells or taste in your product water. Feel free to contact me anytime here on CF or by phone if you have any questions or run into any trouble with your install. I really don't mind at all.
Tellie
954-515-7077
Old 18-10-2012, 11:40   #24

Boat: 1977 42' Mapleleaf

We have found the paper type filters NOT to work (and cannot be reused/cleaned). We use only the poly type, and we use two pre-filters - a 20 micron then a 5 micron filter.

Once, in El Salvador, our only choice for water was using the dock tapwater...we connected the hose to our watermaker...this was the worst and dirtiest filters we've ever experienced. Never take your water quality for granted.
Old 18-10-2012, 11:52   #25

Thanks Tellie,
I should be good with the feed pump. I’m pretty sure I can get it to less than 24 inches above the water line.
I’ll l be spending some time working on it this weekend. I’ll keep you posted.
Frank
Old 19-10-2012, 06:09   #26

Boat: gozzard 44

Frank,

Tellie is a great source of information on watermakers and I used his advice when installing my 200T last spring in my Gozzard 44. If I can be of help with Gozzard specific questions let me know.

Ronbo
s/v Arion
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 14:01   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1
Frank,

Tellie is a great source of information on watermakers and I used his advice when installing my 200T last spring in my Gozzard 44. If I can be of help with Gozzard specific questions let me know.

Ronbo
s/v Arion
Thanks for the note Ronbo. I've admired your boat many times (i think) Are you in haven harbor?

Frank
Old 19-10-2012, 14:15   #28

Boat: gozzard 44

Frank,

We're spending this winter on Long Island, NY but plan on returning to the Chesapeake next fall.
Although Tellie would say it's OK I decided to turn on the WM once I headed north.
PM me if you'd like.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 12:30   #29

Tellie,

I found the product feed line. It's taped into the tank fill. However the line seems REALLY thin. Is the quarter incentive big enough? I tried to attach a picture but I don't think is worked.
Also, I got the lift pump installed yesterday and will install the rest of the components in the next couple of weeks.

Frank, Eleanor Q

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3927060681.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	48630

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3927060681.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	48630
Old 22-10-2012, 14:08   #30
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Tellie,

I found the product feed line. It's taped into the tank fill. However the line seems REALLY thin. Is the quarter incentive big enough? I tried to attach a picture but I don't think is worked.
Also, I got the lift pump installed yesterday and will install the rest of the components in the next couple of weeks.

Frank, Eleanor Q

Attachment 48630

Attachment 48630

Hi Frank,

Small isn't it. But that's it. You'd be surprised how much water you can get out of a 1/4" tube.
I don't like the product tube tapped into the tanks fill line. This type of connection has given people a lot of problems. I'd very much prefer that the product tube is tapped into the top of the water tank itself. The sloshing effect of the water in the tank many times creates back pressure in the fill line which will blow the product water made back out through the fill cap or the overflow. It's well worth the extra effort to tap the top of the tank with the product tube.

Tags
watermaker