Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2016, 09:43   #1

Watermaker Press Vessel end cap cracked.

I have a spectra 150 water maker that has produced over 50K gal since 2008 and recently the end cap on the pressure vessel cracked while in service. A longitudinal crack opposite the inlet supply from the HP pump. Appears to be a fatigue crack.

Is this a common problem? Recommendation requested: should I just replace the end cap or replace the entire pressure vessel? I am leaning towards the entire press vessel as it and the other end cap has seen millions of pressure pulses and may have used up much of it fatigue life.

Thoughts??
BrightAyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 11:38   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Watermaker Press Vessel end cap cracked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightAyes View Post
I have a spectra 150 water maker that has produced over 50K gal since 2008 and recently the end cap on the pressure vessel cracked while in service. A longitudinal crack opposite the inlet supply from the HP pump. Appears to be a fatigue crack.

Is this a common problem? Recommendation requested: should I just replace the end cap or replace the entire pressure vessel? I am leaning towards the entire press vessel as it and the other end cap has seen millions of pressure pulses and may have used up much of it fatigue life.

Thoughts??

These are the best membrane vessels on the market and are designed to be the easiest to work on. Don't throw out the vessel, rings, or fittings. This is a very easy repair. Just replace the two end caps and their associated O-rings as a pair, about $67 each. I've occasionally seen these end caps let go but it's rare, usually they crack from something striking them. Keep the other older but still good end cap as a spare and you'll most likely never need it. If you need any help with how to replace these just give me a call anytime.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
(954) 515-7077
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker