Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2015, 10:13   #1

Watermaker retire?

My Spectra watermaker has been sitting (pickled) for about 14 months. I haven't repickled or run it. Someone said if a watermaker isn't going to used for a long time, it's best to remove it and store it (how?), rather than keep repickling every six months or so.
After sitting for so long, is it too late to try to revive it -- and then retire it properly?
Thanks for help.
ClaudeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:52   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Watermaker retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudeW View Post
My Spectra watermaker has been sitting (pickled) for about 14 months. I haven't repickled or run it. Someone said if a watermaker isn't going to used for a long time, it's best to remove it and store it (how?), rather than keep repickling every six months or so.
After sitting for so long, is it too late to try to revive it -- and then retire it properly?
Thanks for help.
While 14 months is a little longer than the water maker biz guys like to see, heck, you could start it up and have no problems at all if you are fortunate enough to have had the last pickling totally kill all the bacterial and organic life. If you were not so lucky, well then you will smell the hydrogen sulfide gas and will know pretty quickly.

Telling people to remove their water maker in my opinion is total BS and part of the dock rumor cruising myth. Why would pickling it and storing it off the boat be better than on the boat? Just don't let it freeze. For long term storage I would recommend using the food grade Antifreeze then you get freeze and bacteria protection and it can easily last a year.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker