Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2021, 10:33   #1

Boat: X-Yachts, X-512, 51.2
Watermaker Storage Compound

I was sure I have it, but I can't find on board....
I have to storage my Spectra for 6 month and I'd like to know if there is another way to dot it. Here in Curaçao no one has it.
Last flush was done with his own water.
Suggestion?
Thanks.
stevenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 10:39   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Watermaker Storage Compound

We moved away from SC-1 to propylene glycol pickling/storage years ago. It lasts longer too, and Spectra provides directions.

https://www.spectrawatermakers.com/d...s-ae052616.pdf

https://katadyngroup.ladesk.com/0977...System-Storage

Don't know how findable it will be in Curaçao, you can also look for the pure stuff at pharmacies, cannabis shops (do they have those there?), and a few other industrial chemical kinds of places.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 10:57   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Dsanduril is correct. I prefer the PG-50 for Spectras. this is THEE only substitute for Spectras SC-1. Do not use any other watermaker manufacturers powdered storage solution in a Spectra. If you can't get any PG-50, I'm in Ft. Lauderdale and I can send you some SC-1 if you can't find any alternatives.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 11:12   #4

Thanks!
Old 19-05-2021, 11:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
We moved away from SC-1 to propylene glycol pickling/storage years ago. It lasts longer too, and Spectra provides directions.

https://www.spectrawatermakers.com/d...s-ae052616.pdf

https://katadyngroup.ladesk.com/0977...System-Storage

Don't know how findable it will be in Curaçao, you can also look for the pure stuff at pharmacies, cannabis shops (do they have those there?), and a few other industrial chemical kinds of places.
Do you also know the dilution %?
Old 19-05-2021, 11:28   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

If you can't find it at a hardware or pharmacy, might try one of the cosmetics places, there are a couple of cosmetics production companies in Willemstad.

These guys:
Curaloe
Weg naar Groot St. Joris west 9, Willemstad, Curaçao
Phone: +599 9 767 5577

have gotten a bit of flak online for using PG in their cosmetics, if they manufacture on the island then you may be able to get them to give/sell you a few liters.

[Edit] just saw your post about dilution. If you get pure PG you can dilute ~50% with watermaker water, then use that for the pickling. It will get diluted again when you put it into the watermaker that already has some water in the membrane. As per their notes (and also studies in other environments) you want the final solution in the watermaker to be at least 25% PG when you are finished in order to retard bio-growth. If you find pre-diluted PG antifreeze then you'll have to check the label to see the initial concentration.

The first time we did it I used 100% PG going in, now I use a 50% mix. Don't know what size Spectra you have, our 200T (same size at the 150) takes 8 liters/2 gallons of 50% diluted PG, so about 4 liters of actual PG and 4 liters of watermaker water. I usually end up making about 10 liters because you have to catch the point when it starts to discharge and I'm not always perfect. The anti-freeze is colored and helps with this, the pure PG is not and I tell by feel.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 12:12   #7

Many thanks!
Old 19-05-2021, 15:44   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

For a Spectra. Two gallons of PG-50. Close the intake thru hull. Fresh water flush your watermaker two times. Change the pre-filters to new. Pour the two gallons of PG-50 into a bucket, open the pressure relief valve 3/4to a full turn, and pickle as the instructions in your manual show for 20 minutes. The fresh water in the watermaker itself will mix with the PG-50 to make a good mix. After the 20 minutes shut everything down and re-attach the hoses and you'll be good for at the least two years.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 08:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
For a Spectra. Two gallons of PG-50. Close the intake thru hull. Fresh water flush your watermaker two times. Change the pre-filters to new. Pour the two gallons of PG-50 into a bucket, open the pressure relief valve 3/4to a full turn, and pickle as the instructions in your manual show for 20 minutes. The fresh water in the watermaker itself will mix with the PG-50 to make a good mix. After the 20 minutes shut everything down and re-attach the hoses and you'll be good for at the least two years.
Found at Curaloe, but they gave me their supplier for next time.
Chemistrystore, maybe can be useful for others:
Her name is Sandy (the owner), email: glitter@chemistrystore.com

Tags
storage, water, watermaker