Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2023, 14:52   #31

Re: Watermaker sucking air in

So the idea above did not work for me at first- the pump just sucked air from the vent tube. Plugging the vent tube created a perfect result, but the level of water in the filter canister slowly drops as it catches more and more air bubbles. 1x per hour or so, I would shut off the pump, open the vent, allow water to displace the accumulated air, and it's good for another hour.

I'm not sure a 1 way valve would solve this problem, actually don't think it would, as I think the pressure in the top of the canister is always going to be negative when the pump is running.

I also have not figured out a good way to do the manual fresh water flushing. On trial 1, I emptied the canister first, not wanting to have to dilute all that salt water, but then didn't have a good way to pre-load it with fresh water, due to access and what I'm working with. That part will take some more thought.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 14:57   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Click image for larger version

Name:	884a8f02-c6af-4e7b-a866-f3c5afd2a871.d5bf9062d114d30a78bf0d4ec3f4c52f.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	274404
Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
So the idea above did not work for me at first- the pump just sucked air from the vent tube. Plugging the vent tube created a perfect result, but the level of water in the filter canister slowly drops as it catches more and more air bubbles. 1x per hour or so, I would shut off the pump, open the vent, allow water to displace the accumulated air, and it's good for another hour.

I'm not sure a 1 way valve would solve this problem, actually don't think it would, as I think the pressure in the top of the canister is always going to be negative when the pump is running.

I also have not figured out a good way to do the manual fresh water flushing. On trial 1, I emptied the canister first, not wanting to have to dilute all that salt water, but then didn't have a good way to pre-load it with fresh water, due to access and what I'm working with. That part will take some more thought.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stainless...xoCZdMQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Beduan-Shaped...581016825&th=1

Name:	884a8f02-c6af-4e7b-a866-f3c5afd2a871.d5bf9062d114d30a78bf0d4ec3f4c52f.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	274404
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51MQArPmbbL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	274405  
Old 21-04-2023, 15:01   #33

How does pressure in the filter become positive, with the pump running, which would then open this valve? If it does not open with the pump running, it seems basically the same as I'm doing now- have to shut pump off to bleed air.
Old 21-04-2023, 16:02   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
How does pressure in the filter become positive, with the pump running, which would then open this valve? If it does not open with the pump running, it seems basically the same as I'm doing now- have to shut pump off to bleed air.
Would bleed the air out automatically when you stop the pump or just add a hose to the check valve to suck the air out like a small aquarium air pump. Just like bleeding the brakes on a pickup
Old 23-04-2023, 09:00   #35

I'm not sure a check valve is likely to work due to the very tiny pressure changes and flows involved. Instead, I'm going to try this solenoid"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2AX06WG8&psc=1
Once every half hour, Arduino will shut off the pump/open this valve for 10 seconds, then close valve and re-start. I think that will take care of the bleeding without my input, at least until the valve fails. TBD how long that is, I do have some concern w/ salt involved.
Old 26-04-2023, 15:03   #36

It works well, here I test the "bleed" function with the filter canister completely full of air. The automotive evap solenoid is perfect for the job.
https://youtu.be/iAIKQUNRqps
Old 26-04-2023, 17:52   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It works well, here I test the "bleed" function with the filter canister completely full of air. The automotive evap solenoid is perfect for the job.
https://youtu.be/iAIKQUNRqps
And the Rube Goldberg award is well earned today
Old 31-05-2023, 18:28   #38

Following up, system has a couple of remaining annoyances
1) I wish the inlet to the water filter canister was on the top, outlet on the bottom, instead of both of them being on the bottom. This would reject more bubbles. This is rarely an issue, and only when I'm making water in really rough conditions, like rolling in following seas. Conditions where I never would have considered making water before this modification.
2)Since I added the 50 micron filter in the "vent canister" it clogs up a lot quicker than the downstream ones ever used to. This is noticeable in certain areas that have the tiny sea slime/kelp/whatever it is. Smells like fish, easy to clean off, but a bit annoying. I think the higher frequency is a result of the pump's preference to push through a restriction rather than pull through. It can only generate so much vacuum, and eventually it's not enough. This would be less of a problem if I didn't have to do the boat yoga to replace it, but that's my fault for mounting in a bad spot. Someday I'll move it, someday I'll have a boat that has space for ergonomic systems.
Old 16-07-2023, 15:38   #39

David Shih's latest video suggests that putting a grate thing over thru hull = less bubbles. Is it true?
https://youtu.be/PCPCbU_Mslg?t=526
Old 16-07-2023, 16:41   #40

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

I ended up moving my intake just in front of the start of the "keel". It works well, but I try not to run while underway in any big seas to avoid aur ingress. You may have a tough time molding the intake to the hull at that point, definitely a job to do at the next haulout. The lower you can get the intake, the cleaner the water and the less time cleaning the system long term.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker