Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2023, 08:07   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Watermaker sucking air in

We have a PowerSurvivor 40 that is working well for us at anchor, but once we are underway it regularly stops working as too much air is being picked up.

The reason for the air is that the thru-hull is only about foot below the waterline and when we are underway in any waves the churn is causing air bubbles. Unfortunately I can't think of a place where we can lower the thru-hull as we only draft 3 feet, but the lower ~2 feet are the keel (and water tanks).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to "remove" the air from the intake so the watermaker is happier?

The photo below is the intake set-up (Left thru-hull is the watermaker, right is the engine). The top of the water filter is the waterline. The smaller hose off the filter goes to the watermaker.

geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:08   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Watermaker sucking air in

I wonder if some sort of day tank like design might work

Pump water into a tank with overflow and draw from the tank

I guess it will all depend on how often the through hull is drawing air

So like damping but in reverse
Old 01-04-2023, 16:09   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

I think there is always a question of how much is too much chop. If your intake is only 1' below your waterline then it is not surprising that you can tolerate little chop. But even with a deeper intake you will hit conditions where you take in too much air, so moving your intake can improve the situation but not alleviate the issue entirely.

In addition to going deeper, going further forward can help. A lot depends on your hull shape.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 16:34   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380
Watermaker sucking air in

I tried to run our RO in 5’ seas today. Fail…. Pickup is just 2’ down.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 17:31   #5

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Use a feed pump and an "air scoop". I suppose you could coat the inside of a cast iron one with epoxy. or make one out of bronze or plastic tee fittings. Pump the excess air to the salt drain or overboard.

Look at what they use for hot water base board heating to see how an air scoop works. A 2" tee necked down to hose would probably do it or a 2-3-2 tee with the air scoop one the 3 side
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 16:46   #6

AKA-None,

I had thought of a day tank and pump.. but am not keen on trying to find space for the tank, piping and pump, ontop of the extra power for the pump..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
I wonder if some sort of day tank like design might work

Pump water into a tank with overflow and draw from the tank

I guess it will all depend on how often the through hull is drawing air

So like damping but in reverse
Old 03-04-2023, 16:49   #7

Scubaseas,

I like the idea. I do see that the ones used in hot water heating require a positive (above atmosphere) pressure to work. So I would need a feed pump to keep the pressure up

Can you explain your 2" or the 2-3-2 tee - I'm not following, but am intrigued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
Use a feed pump and an "air scoop". I suppose you could coat the inside of a cast iron one with epoxy. or make one out of bronze or plastic tee fittings. Pump the excess air to the salt drain or overboard.

Look at what they use for hot water base board heating to see how an air scoop works. A 2" tee necked down to hose would probably do it or a 2-3-2 tee with the air scoop one the 3 side
Old 03-04-2023, 17:15   #8

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Tee with the middle facing up. 2 " fitting each side and the top one is a 3" fitting. similar to below. Not sure there is anyway around a feed pump though.

Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 02:29   #9

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

As it’s a smaller cat the best intake position would be on the centre line just aft of the stub keel , not much of a choice .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 05:20   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
We have a PowerSurvivor 40 that is working well for us at anchor, but once we are underway it regularly stops working as too much air is being picked up.

The reason for the air is that the thru-hull is only about foot below the waterline and when we are underway in any waves the churn is causing air bubbles. Unfortunately I can't think of a place where we can lower the thru-hull as we only draft 3 feet, but the lower ~2 feet are the keel (and water tanks).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to "remove" the air from the intake so the watermaker is happier?

The photo below is the intake set-up (Left thru-hull is the watermaker, right is the engine). The top of the water filter is the waterline. The smaller hose off the filter goes to the watermaker.

Do you have a salt water head intake?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 07:30   #11

Searles,

Yup - small cat and the intake is just aft of the keel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
As it’s a smaller cat the best intake position would be on the centre line just aft of the stub keel , not much of a choice .⛵️⚓️
Old 04-04-2023, 07:32   #12

Tellie,

yes we have a salt water head, but diagonally across the boat.
(WM = STB Aft, Head = Port Fwd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Do you have a salt water head intake?
Old 11-04-2023, 06:19   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
Tellie,

yes we have a salt water head, but diagonally across the boat.
(WM = STB Aft, Head = Port Fwd)
You might be best served by adding a small boost pump to this to help the flow reach the input to the watermaker. These small systems can take a long time to prime with an intake line like you seemed to have described. They have to draw water to themselves, which they can do, but it is such a small amount that it can take a while to get to the input especially if the intake line pulls back air into the system. A small boost pump can be installed with a SPST switch to turn it on and off. You might find that once the boost pump delivers the water to the input that you can turn it off and the system will take care of it from there. This opens up then option of using the intake on the other side of the boat.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 07:41   #14

Tellie,

I'm not sure I understand how the boost pump would help (although it sounds interesting!).

I am assuming with my set-up right now that as air enters the system the PowerSurvivor 40 just can't suck up the water when there is too much air in the input side. (Although it is able to eventually overcome this air in calm water if I put the bypass on (not making any fresh water) to clear the air before going back to normal operation.

1. Would the boost pump help the pump overcome this air (that can expand easily)?
2. Would this pump then push the air into the PowerSurvivor? (I assume this wouldn't damage it?)
3. I assume you are thinking the boost pump would only be needed when there is air in the system (or the possibility (ie at sea)) ?
4. Once I have fresh water output I could turn the pump off and water still flows through it?

What pump would you recommend? (I've read the March pump should be at least 1 food below the waterline which will be a challenge..)

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
You might be best served by adding a small boost pump to this to help the flow reach the input to the watermaker. These small systems can take a long time to prime with an intake line like you seemed to have described. They have to draw water to themselves, which they can do, but it is such a small amount that it can take a while to get to the input especially if the intake line pulls back air into the system. A small boost pump can be installed with a SPST switch to turn it on and off. You might find that once the boost pump delivers the water to the input that you can turn it off and the system will take care of it from there. This opens up then option of using the intake on the other side of the boat.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:53   #15

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Fit an external drop pipe pickup - may have to change the through hull to fit one.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker