Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2023, 06:12   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Watermaker Usage Question: I have an old Spectra

Thinking about it, if you do end up in places where you're jugging water a lot, you could always get a bladder and pump to put in the dinghy and be able to carry a larger quantity (depending on weight capacity of the dinghy) in 1 shot. Plus the pump means not having to lift the water up onto the boat, you just pump it up into the boat tank.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 06:15   #17

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Thinking about it, if you do end up in places where you're jugging water a lot, you could always get a bladder and pump to put in the dinghy and be able to carry a larger quantity (depending on weight capacity of the dinghy) in 1 shot. Plus the pump means not having to lift the water up onto the boat, you just pump it up into the boat tank.

That's a good idea, but don't give him an easy way out of looking buff for his visitors.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 06:37   #18

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
That's a good idea, but don't give him an easy way out of looking buff for his visitors.
Been living aboard since November and traveling. Manual windlass jugging water. Jugging fuel. Treadmill. Manual bicycle not electric.

Forgot my dumbbells in the RV. But yoga. And also meditation.

I have been specifically trying to get as much physical activity as possible to come all the way back from the blood clot heart attack.

Not sure why you guys are picking on my visitors. That’s definitely the only reason I have to get a watermaker going. I sure don’t need one. Am I getting picked on because you guys are married and you can’t do it? It’s not the first time I’ve been picked on about this. I was being good and I deliberately ignore that inappropriate fat lady picture up thread.

And land girls require a lot of water. They do not enjoy places without long showers. Hell, half of them even need a bathtub. That I cannot provide. Ha ha
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 06:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
yeah back in the old days a couple decades ago I was going to do this. I was never going to get a watermaker. But this one just happened to be a good deal so I grabbed it. Used. I sort of prefer the idea of using a bladder in the dinghy.

I’ll start a thread on this later. I just didn’t know if I could use the water maker in harbors where are you anchor for long periods of time.

seems like a fairly useless device if you have to go offshore to use it. Lol. What would be the point really? Easier to just go to a dock and fill your tank.
Old 30-03-2023, 06:52   #20

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
yeah back in the old days a couple decades ago I was going to do this. I was never going to get a watermaker. But this one just happened to be a good deal so I grabbed it. Used. I sort of prefer the idea of using a bladder in the dinghy.

I’ll start a thread on this later. I just didn’t know if I could use the water maker in harbors where are you anchor for long periods of time.

seems like a fairly useless device if you have to go offshore to use it. Lol. What would be the point really? Easier to just go to a dock and fill your tank.

It depends on where you're cruising mostly. In some places, it's easy enough to get water that you might as well pickle the watermaker and ignore it for a while. In other places, water isn't as convenient to get, or the harbors get lots of tidal flushing and are pretty clean. And if you're moving around somewhat frequently, you can always make water underway while you're out in cleaner water.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 07:13   #21

Glad you are working out and keeping in shape.

Yes, was making sport since it has been more than one instance you've brought up your visitors. (the fat lady pic was inappropriate) In this thread it also could have been omitted and just ask about using a watermaker in harbors when just sitting. (if you don't want the extra attention)
Old 30-03-2023, 09:06   #22
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
You already know how filled the harbors are w/algae, etc. that will quickly clog up your filters. It is a wash on time spent changing filters and playing with the watermaker to get an appreciable amount of water in the tanks.

If it were me, would suck it up and jug the water (every time you go in). Will get old quickly lifting 5 gal jugs/40lb ea., but just think of the work out you will get to keep you in shape for the ladies!

Just because they’re 5 gallon jugs doesn’t mean you have to put 5 gallons of water in them. Took me 30 years to realize this!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 09:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Just because they’re 5 gallon jugs doesn’t mean you have to put 5 gallons of water in them. Took me 30 years to realize this!
I still haven’t learned a thing. Ha ha.

I don’t mind carrying the full jugs. I actually enjoy jugging water for some reason. But not for somebody to luxuriate in the shower.

So far I only have a 50 gallon temporary tank anyway.

I guess it comes down to experimentation. I’ll just run it and see what happens. If filters are clogging very quickly, then I’ll know it’s not a good spot. As it is, I’m sure I already need new membranes. and I’m hoping the Clark pump works also. No idea.
Old 30-03-2023, 09:20   #24

It was really a comment in jest about weight lifting/body building.

My motto is work smarter, not harder and why we use mechanical advantage to hoist heavy items like OBs, jerry cans, etc. onto the boat.
Old 30-03-2023, 09:23   #25

Quote:
It was really a comment in jest about weight lifting/body building.

My motto is work smarter, not harder and why we use mechanical advantage to hoist heavy items like OBs, jerry cans, etc. onto the boat.
yes, I have had a lot of jealousy regarding you types the whole way up here.

I see your type sailing here in the ICW, lifting up heavy things. I envy anyone who has a rig right now. ha ha ha
Old 30-03-2023, 09:46   #26

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

If the Clark pump doesn't work, you could get buff by using it as a Dumbbell for workouts.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 10:50   #27

Boat: Catalina 470 (47')

When we're anchored for an extended time and need to make water, we will lift the anchor and go out for a bit and start making water. If it is calm, we will simply turn off the motor and bob around for a while. Our solar panels provide enough power to run our water maker.

Either way, it gets us out on the water where we are happiest.

While at a dock (with a broken water maker) we had an "on shore" filtration system built that can be connected to a standard garden hose. The system includes a 5 micro filter, a carbon filter and UV lamp (which you should have on your on-board system too). By using this system we can fill our tanks from a dock faucet. It cost us about $200 USD. If you go this route, make sure the UV filter can handle 6 GPM (not GPH). One thing to be aware of is that many dock faucets have lots of silt in them (at least in Mexico). I doubt I'd worry about that in the US.

Also, it might be worth working on educating your crew. Teach them about navy showers. I have had guests on board that left the water running while brushing their teeth. Once I point out that we have limited water and have to make it they understand and are happy to help out.

While at a dock (with a broken water maker) we had a "on shore" filtration system built that can be connected to a standard garden hose. The system includes a 5 micro filter, a carbon filter and UV lamp (which you should have on your on-board system too). By using this system we can fill our tanks from a dock faucet.

s/v Whimsical IV
rweeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 17:48   #28

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

When at a marina with "potable" but likely high tds water, I will run it through separate prefilters (particulate and carbon) into a 5-gal bucket. Set up the watermaker to draw from and discharge "brine" to the bucket. When the bucket gets down to 1 gal, I toss the remainder and start over until tanks are full. Never had any issues. I have good water in the tanks, and it saves me from having to run the WM in the harbor or pickling it. Very much like doing a flush every few days. Same effort. Membrane went for 7+ years.

Would love to hear Tellies take!
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 18:14   #29

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
You may want to consider adding another tank or two.

LMFAO!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2023, 19:29   #30

How often are you emptying your holding tank vs. needing water? I find that mine fills up in about the same amount of time it takes to use up the water supply, so I'm going offshore for both reasons, fill one tank, empty the other. Or there's the option of doing the same at a dock- a less pleasant experience but faster. Non boat people (women and men both) fill the holding tanks faster too.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
USA, water, watermaker