Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 06:14   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Watermaker Voodoo Needed...

My work list is now complete except for the task I've been putting off - placing my Spectra 380 water maker in service after more than a year. Once the weather rises above freezing (is this really Florida?) we're heading out to the Tortugas and the admiral thinks it would be nice to have water to drink while we're there.

I've read everything I can in the tech manuals, gotten hints from JT (thanks again!) yet I still know deep down that some measure of Voodoo will be required to get this thing running again...

We bought a well-maintained boat and the state of the water maker components looks like it too was well maintained. But that's just what I can see from the outside. It's condition right now is:
- the raw water strainer was very dirty as it was left open to the main sea water strainer. I cleaned that up OK.
- I have 2 feed pumps and 2 (maybe 3 - can't picture it at the moment) pre-filter housings. Both housings had their filter elements removed. One housing is completely dry, the other is about 50% full of water and white bio growth (looks like white clouds suspended in the water.) I think I have 2 - 20 micron filters, one upstream of each feed pump, and one 5-micron filter downstream of those)
- No idea yet if the Clark pump, feed pumps, etc actually work as I've never switched the power on
- I have LOTS of extra pre-filter cartridges, the Sc-1/2/3 chemicals and a packet of 800ppm salinity test solution.

So, I have a reasonable expectation that when the system was laid up it was pickled properly. Starting today I plan to go through the "Unknown condition" start-up procedures shown in the manual.

Would appreciate any tips from others who have approached a unit in similar unknown condition. I'm confident that I understand the functions of each component, but have never played with one of these before. That's why I figure I'll need the Voodoo to help....
Old 10-01-2010, 06:35   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
I had a spcetra on my last boat.you can call spectra tech. & they are courteous & well informed.They helped trouble shoot mine.You can send it to them in California & they will service it for about $400(2+yr. ago price.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:24   #3

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
In my experience, now on my third boat with a water maker, the mechanical items will probably be fine or easily fixable. The membrane, even if it was properly pickled, may be another matter. Best of luck

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:57   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
My work list is now complete except for the task I've been putting off - placing my Spectra 380 water maker in service after more than a year. Once the weather rises above freezing (is this really Florida?) we're heading out to the Tortugas and the admiral thinks it would be nice to have water to drink while we're there.

I've read everything I can in the tech manuals, gotten hints from JT (thanks again!) yet I still know deep down that some measure of Voodoo will be required to get this thing running again...

We bought a well-maintained boat and the state of the water maker components looks like it too was well maintained. But that's just what I can see from the outside. It's condition right now is:
- the raw water strainer was very dirty as it was left open to the main sea water strainer. I cleaned that up OK.
- I have 2 feed pumps and 2 (maybe 3 - can't picture it at the moment) pre-filter housings. Both housings had their filter elements removed. One housing is completely dry, the other is about 50% full of water and white bio growth (looks like white clouds suspended in the water.) I think I have 2 - 20 micron filters, one upstream of each feed pump, and one 5-micron filter downstream of those)
- No idea yet if the Clark pump, feed pumps, etc actually work as I've never switched the power on
- I have LOTS of extra pre-filter cartridges, the Sc-1/2/3 chemicals and a packet of 800ppm salinity test solution.

So, I have a reasonable expectation that when the system was laid up it was pickled properly. Starting today I plan to go through the "Unknown condition" start-up procedures shown in the manual.

Would appreciate any tips from others who have approached a unit in similar unknown condition. I'm confident that I understand the functions of each component, but have never played with one of these before. That's why I figure I'll need the Voodoo to help....
Hi Mark. First you have my number and can call me anytime seven days a week for help. Forgive me, it's hard to remember, have I worked on your unit before? Are you still on the west coast?
Let's go through this one step at a time. The condition of the raw water strainer should make no difference at all. Just keep it cleaned out and replace the SS filter when it looks like it needs it. The 380C units are one of the original Spectra units without all the bells and whistles so they are some of the easier ones to work on. Though some had the MPC3000 controls added on. It does make a difference in the pre-filter set up. Let me know which set up you have. The fact that the pre-filter housings are empty could mean two things. They have just dried out over the past year or they were drained in the storage process. The fact that the filters have been removed could be an indication that it was properly stored. Before you start anything, and this is important. You must assume that the system has been properly stored. Replace all the pre-filters and the charcoal filter as well with new ones. Important! you need to run the system for twenty minutes with the pressure relief valve opened 1/2-3/4 turn. You do not want to run your system under full pressure with storage solution in it. It will harm the membrane.
The feed pumps may run but you need to check if they are working properly and producing the right pressure and flow. A quick test is to run one pump at a time and block off the brine discharge flow. Watch the pressure gauge. If the gauge climbs up to 125psi or there abouts and shuts off on it's own then the feed pump is probably OK repeat this test with the other feed pump as well. Now running one feed pump at a time slowly close off the pressure relief valve and keep an eye on the pressure gauge. Listen for the Clark pump to shift. If the Clark pump is shifting and the pressure is in 80-100 range ,go and check to make sure you see the brine discharge flowing over board. You should see some product water flowing at this point. If all is good shut down the feed pump and start the other one and check for same pressures, brine flow and product water flow. If they seem fairly equal start the other feed pump as well. The gauge will go up a bit higher and the product will increase. If the fe pumps go over 125psi and shut down i is an indicator that the membranes are fouled. Also remember and this to is very important. If there are leaks in the Clark pump or membrane housing do not tighten the fittings down. Remove the fittings and replace either the teflon tape or O-ring whichever applies. Never over tighten the components on a Spectra to stop a leak. It is a costly mistake.
The SC-1 is the storage solution. You MUST use only this to store a Spectra. Make sure the SC-1 has a small round colored sticker on top of the lid. If it does not throw it away. The only other approved storage substitute for a Spectra is Propylene Glycol -100.
The SC-2 and SC-3 are cleaning solutions for a fouled membrane, not storage solution. Let me know how it goes and as I tell everyone here. Don't hesitate to call me at any time to help you with your unit.

PS TheCQR anchor you sold me has been a great addition to my boat
Thanks again J.T..
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 15:50   #5

No Dead Chickens Needed....

Hey JT - good to see you still lurking about the forum :-)

So I had mixed results today - everything seems to work as it should with 2 exceptions:
- I have a fairly significant leak from the Clark pump. Seems to be from one end cap and/or the ss tube that connects from the end cap to the body.
- the feed (raw) water input to the unit is just Tee'd of of the same line that is suction for the big 1000gpm AC circ pump. Since it's freezing here today we had the heat running, and every time the circ pump kicked on I lost water flow into the watermaker. Just a poor plumbing choice made by a previous owner. Easy enough fix as there is another thru-hull close by.

Because of the lack of feed water I was unable to really purge and pressurize the system today. The controller works fine, the backflush system works auto-magically as it should..... so I'm pretty optimistic. The PO seems to have laid the system up correctly.

So far the gods have smiled upon us.....

Old 12-01-2010, 16:26   #6

A Day of Ups & Downs....

I took the Clark pump out today, removed the J-tube from the end cap that was leaking. As JT suspected, the end cap was cracked because the PO cranked down too hard on the J-tube fittings. Downer....

Called Spectra - great support by the way - and waited for the bad news about cost. I had to ask him to repeat it when he said $53 as I was expecting something with 3 figures . Then it got better - I rummaged through the spares in the plastic bin kept near the unit, and voila! A new end cap was there, plus lots of o-rings!

The pump came apart pretty easily, the cylinder walls look great w/no gouges or scratches. This is great! Put it all back together and fire it up....

I should have listened to that little voice that said "you should probably take the other end cap off and clean / inspect / replace the o-ring. You guessed it - now I get to take the pump out again and fix the OTHER end cap that also leaks.

Best way to learn about this system though - take it apart and put it back together, then repeat....

Again my thanks to JT (Tellie on this forum) - he's a great resource to call for tips / tricks with these systems.

Hope to have better news tomorrow....
Old 20-01-2010, 17:21   #7

It Works!!

Happy to say that after replacing the 2 end caps on the Clark pump and installing a new pressure gage in the panel IT WORKS! I need to start a thread about things a PO did RIGHT... 'cause somebody pickled this thing correctly and saved the membrane. I'm pretty happy with a now 10-year old system that is still going strong.

Making about 15 gallons per hour and lovin' it! My sincere thanks to Tellie (JT) for answering the phone and being patient with my questions. He's a great resource.

Tags
watermaker