Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2022, 09:56   #121

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: We have propane heaters. Why no gasoline/petrol heaters?

Well, I’m back at this. And I have found the WeBasto and Espar gasoline heaters.

Mounting them outside should be OK. In a protected place or a locker. Maybe my explosives locker, although that might not be so smart because it may set off a lot of stuff if it malfunctions.

As for mounting them outside, there’s no reason not to use the conduit for the intake and run that conduit into the cabin. Then run the output into the cabin as well with another conduit.

I had been leaning toward just doing the second tank for diesel, but it’s ridiculous. I’d have to keep track of that. If I were wintering over somewhere it would be annoying because I would have to go get fuel all the time for it. Having 150 gallons of gasoline nearby and burning through it is a good thing. That keeps the gasoline more fresh also. Have you far fewer trips to fill heating fuel.

So I’m definitely doing gasoline. I’m just going to keep it outside. Where it should be. Like it is for everything else I installed.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 10:00   #122

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If kept outside I don't see an issue with using the gasoline Webasto, Espar, Planar, etc. units. They do explicitly say not to use them on a boat, but that's likely due to enclosed space concerns. If it's mounted outside, then it's just like a car / truck / bus install.

The gasoline heaters only come in smaller sizes, so you may need more than 1 to get enough heat. And you'll have to decide whether hydronic or forced air is more practical.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 10:01   #123

Everyone else, just use diesel.

I am not arguing with you, OP

Sounds like you're dead set [emoji39]
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 10:06   #124
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Well, I’m back at this. And I have found the WeBasto and Espar gasoline heaters.

Mounting them outside should be OK. In a protected place or a locker. Maybe my explosives locker, although that might not be so smart because it may set off a lot of stuff if it malfunctions.

As for mounting them outside, there’s no reason not to use the conduit for the intake and run that conduit into the cabin. Then run the output into the cabin as well with another conduit.

I had been leaning toward just doing the second tank for diesel, but it’s ridiculous. I’d have to keep track of that. If I were wintering over somewhere it would be annoying because I would have to go get fuel all the time for it. Having 150 gallons of gasoline nearby and burning through it is a good thing. That keeps the gasoline more fresh also. Have you far fewer trips to fill heating fuel.

So I’m definitely doing gasoline. I’m just going to keep it outside. Where it should be. Like it is for everything else I installed.
If you intend to get insurance have your defense ready for the surveyor who may take some convincing.
Old 19-10-2022, 10:07   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
If you intend to get insurance have your defense ready for the surveyor who may take some convincing.
OK, I hear you. But I don’t understand one thing. Where are they prohibited? I can’t see any place they are prohibited in the documentation. Especially installed in the open air outside on the deck.
Old 19-10-2022, 10:09   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
Everyone else, just use diesel.

I am not arguing with you, OP

Sounds like you're dead set [emoji39]
Ha ha ha ha. I like this post. A good caution for others. While leaving a little room for crazy people like myself to go nuts.

Yes. I just can’t see having 150 gallons of gasoline sitting there going stale when it should be getting burnt.
Old 19-10-2022, 10:13   #127
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
OK, I hear you. But I don’t understand one thing. Where are they prohibited? I can’t see any place they are prohibited in the documentation. Especially installed in the open air outside on the deck.
PM me an email address. I'll send you the relevant ABYC Standards
that your surveyor will use.

One likely insurmountable one will be mfg' instruction not to install on a boat
as all appliances must be installed according to those instructions
Old 19-10-2022, 10:14   #128

I mean, these are closed systems. With “failsafe” electronics. If the flame goes out the fuel is shut off. And the combustion is contained in the chamber. The only entrance and exit to the chamber are through tubes. Tubes that bring in the fresh air and expel the exhaust from the combustion.

So what I’m thinking is just using the same installation theory that I have used for everything else. Run an ABYC compliant fuel line to the heater(s) (which have their own fuel pumps) from the fuel switching manifold which is already on deck in my “explosives box.”

So we are talking about a three or 4 foot run of ABYC fuel hose. It will have a fitting for the heater fuel pump and continue to the heater. The fuel pump is only turned on when the heater wants fuel. And that is only in the case that it is starting, or the case that it is running. If the flame goes out the fuel pump goes off. Similar to a propane oven.

I really can’t see much they can go wrong here. Can anyone else? Or is it just fear? I like to approach it logically. Rather than just based on fear.
Old 19-10-2022, 10:16   #129

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

As long as the heater is in a ventilated space with bottom drains (basically treated like propane), I don't see a safety concern (out on deck in a place where fumes wouldn't flow to an open door or hatch is fine too). I wouldn't want to rely on powered ventilation for it or anything, but if the space can't trap fumes, it should be safe. Hydronic may be another step safer than forced air, as you wouldn't be pumping cabin air through the heater and its mounting location.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 10:18   #130
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Got your PM but without an email address. PM's will not let me respond with pdf's attached.
Old 19-10-2022, 10:32   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If kept outside I don't see an issue with using the gasoline Webasto, Espar, Planar, etc. units. They do explicitly say not to use them on a boat, but that's likely due to enclosed space concerns. If it's mounted outside, then it's just like a car / truck / bus install.

The gasoline heaters only come in smaller sizes, so you may need more than 1 to get enough heat. And you'll have to decide whether hydronic or forced air is more practical.

Yes. I definitely need a pair of them. There’s no doubt. Hoping that’s enough. But I don’t think I’ll be wintering over. I hope not.

I didn’t realize they specifically said not to use them on a boat. I’m sure they are talking about the interior install like most of the picture however. Just like you are saying.
Old 19-10-2022, 10:46   #132

Fear can be based on logic.

I would not want most people* to consider propane or petrol, if safer alternatives are feasible .

* this allows me to claim I'm still not arguing with you and your use case

Wanting to "use up" stale petrol is to me the opposite of a compelling reason.

Whoops...
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2022, 10:48   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
Fear can be based on logic.

I would not want most people* to consider propane or petrol, if safer alternatives are feasible .

* this allows me to claim I'm still not arguing with you and your use case

Wanting to "use up" stale petrol is to me the opposite of a compelling reason.

Whoops...
You’re fun! Ha ha ha. Good posts.

Tags
heater, propane