Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2024, 14:00   #1

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran
Webasto blue cool S series 6000btu rattling

We have 4 x Webasto Bluecool Classic ac units onboard, 2 x 12000btu's and 2 x 5000btu units, one of the 5000btu units gave up so we have just fitted a brand new Webasto S series 6000btu unit which has ran for an hour, the other units onboard are extremely quiet but this new one has a loud clacking/rattle in the top of the compressor when running and is quite loud, it definitely sounds internal of the compressor and not an external rattle of some sort, I've spoken to the Webasto technician here in Sydney Australia and he tells me that it's quite normal although it does sound loud, has anybody had any experience with this particular issue and can advise.
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 14:41   #2

Re: Webasto blue cool S series 6000btu rattling

Ah, yes. The old service department standard response: “They all sound like that. Go away. Don’t bother me.”

We have a 9000 btu version of that. When the compressor first starts there is ONE
shake/clunk/rattle, then it is smooth and quiet.

Some of these are very fussy about mounting bolt tightness. Too tight, too loose, or uneven tightness can cause odd noises. Might be worth tweaking to see if that helps.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 16:00   #3

Boat: 50ft Kelsall Tonga Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Ah, yes. The old service department standard response: “They all sound like that. Go away. Don’t bother me.”

We have a 9000 btu version of that. When the compressor first starts there is ONE
shake/clunk/rattle, then it is smooth and quiet.

Some of these are very fussy about mounting bolt tightness. Too tight, too loose, or uneven tightness can cause odd noises. Might be worth tweaking to see if that helps.
Unfortunately it's definitely not a mounting problem, question, do these Hermetically encapsulated compressors have valves in them? As it sounds rhythmic to compressor rpm.
doublebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2024, 16:13   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebubble View Post
Unfortunately it's definitely not a mounting problem, question, do these Hermetically encapsulated compressors have valves in them? As it sounds rhythmic to compressor rpm.
I believe they do, but I have never had occasion to even contemplate opening one. I’m sure there are others here who know more about the internals of those than I do.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote