Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2021, 02:21   #1

Boat: Dinieper Tropic 1200, 42', steel
Weirdly long waste pump out line - why?

I’m going over the systems on my new to me boat and I’ve got a real head scratcher. I have an electric flush head that runs to a holding tank or overboard, as normal. From the holding tank there is a macerating ejector (as also normal) that runs either to the overboard waste line, or to the pump out line. Now here is where I’m perplexed. My waste tank is in my v-berth sole and my pump out port… is… in the stern?? So there’s a 40ft waste hose just snaking through the entire boat? Is there any practical reason for this? Why isn’t the pump out amidships or in the bow even? I really hate the idea of a poop line traversing my boat - though this system has worked for the OO and PO for a combined 29 years… that’s also probably how old the lines are. Help me explain the logic of a 40ft poop run before I rip it out.
TiPegleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2021, 04:01   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Weirdly long waste pump out line - why?

Only reason I can come up with is ease of access when med moored
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2021, 05:26   #3

That’s absolutely the only thing I could come up with but… why not just carry a long hose? This boat was built in Brazil and cruised around the Caribbean and central/South America. Is the Med moor a thing down there?
Old 15-12-2021, 05:35   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

A pump out on one waist, as I have, necessitates approaching the pump out station on that side, unless they have a long hose, but that would be soved by a pump-out on the bow, too. Is there a route at the bow that dosen't interfere with the V-berth? Nothing Like a poop hose in bed with you...

My only other thought is that there might be a reason that neither I nor other commenters have thought of. Might you leave it there through a few pump-outs and see?

A final thought. Peggy Hall might speak to it. If she does, listen and feel honored that you have received her wisdom.
Old 15-12-2021, 07:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

The pumpout line runs from a tank in the bow all the way to the stern because boat builders are the WORST sanitation system designers on the planet! I'm betting the seller replaced the hoses to sell the boat because they were stinking and prob'ly used cheap hoses that are guaranteed to stink soon.

Install a new deck pumpout fitting as far forward as possible and still be accessible from the dock...hopefully reducing the length to no longer than 10-12' and definitely without any sags in it.

How long is the tank vent line? It's almost a certainty that it needs to be re-directed to run forward.

If you'd like my help in "redesigning" your system so that it makes sense and doesn't create problems, send me a PM. I don't charge anything for advice.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2021, 12:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post

If you'd like my help in "redesigning" your system so that it makes sense and doesn't create problems, send me a PM. I don't charge anything for advice.

--Peggie
I will surely take you up on that. You seem to be the guru! The crazy thing is that this boat is 100% custom. The original owner was an engineer IIRC and honestly, I get his drift about 50% of the time. Putting in new fittings is no problem, nothing a little welding won't fix!

I think the plan is to remove it and route through the heads onto the deck, since that's where all of the other poop lines are... any advice for removing 40ft of questionable hose?
Old 15-12-2021, 17:42   #7
Marine Service Provider

Removing hoses of any length presents unique challenges depending on various factors. We can discuss the best way for you remove UP TO 40' of hose that may or may not be questionable (I'll know from the markings on it). I'll watch for your PM.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump