Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2015, 12:29   #1

Whale Gusher pump with 90 elbow installation

Whale makes a plastic/pvc 90 degree elbow for cases where you have a very tight fit and the turn radius for the hose would be to much.

This part here:
Whale Elbow 1-1/2 90 Degree - Star Marine Depot

to attach to this pump:
Whale Bilge Pump Gusher 10 Mk 3 - Star Marine Depot

The ID of one end of the elbow is 1-1/2 for the purpose of fitting over the OD of the connection on the pump which is also 1-1/2. Of course your standard 1-1/2 inch hose goes over the other end.

The problem. It doesn't easily slide on. I've been afraid to force it for fear of breaking it. I've also been able to find zero information of how I should affix it. A hose clamp will not work because is is hard plastic.

I called Whale and the people I could get to had no clue how to use the part they sell for the pump.

My plan right now is to use a plastic tolerant sealant that will hopefully give it a bit of lubrication to go on the connection.

Has anyone used these and how did you do it? Even if you didn't use one how would you go about installing the elbow?
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 08:28   #2

Re: Whale Gusher pump with 90 elbow installation

Were you able to resolve the situation?

I am now facing the same problem. I contacted whale don't understand the advice I was given.

An Amazon review suggested soaking the elbow in boiling water.
SVMagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:53   #3

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Heat expands the hose, either water or a torch at a distance to not burn the hose. I usually use a propane torch for tight fitting hose. Best with a flame spreader.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 13:18   #4

Boat: Baba 35

I'm going to shoot from the hip here and say that it looks like one side of that 90 is a slip fitting. You should cut a small piece of hose to attach to the whale pump barb with a clamp then you glue the slip fitting onto the other end of that piece of hose. Then you can attach whatever hose you're trying to connect to the barbed end of the 90 with a clamp.

So pump to small piece of hose to slip side of 90 to the rest of the hose run.

And when I say glue I mean use proper PVC cement and primer.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 05:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMagpie View Post
Were you able to resolve the situation?

I am now facing the same problem. I contacted whale don't understand the advice I was given.

An Amazon review suggested soaking the elbow in boiling water.
No I gave up on it. I was planning on using it to replace an existing install of an older hose. Since the older hose still had some life in it I decided to continue to use it until I could come up with a better solution.
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elbow, installation