Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2022, 09:00   #16

Boat: 41' yawl
Re: What about cooling just your bed??

Interesting thread. I would have thought cooling _just_ the bed in a warm cabin would result in condensation all over the bed?
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 09:12   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Interesting thread. I would have thought cooling _just_ the bed in a warm cabin would result in condensation all over the bed?

That’s an unfortunately very good point. Could increase the amount of mold and dust mites.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 09:21   #18

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

I suspect there are maybe mattress toppers with a small water filled cooling hose built in.

Just a conceptual idea - seawater cooled mattress topper.

How about taking a similar small hose throwing one end over board with a small weight, so that it picks up water say at 6ft below (the lower the cooler usually), than have a small pump take it though the topper and dump it back over board.
Would need some sort of safety valve like on a washing machine though to prevent flooding of the boat.

Of course this would only work in clean water of sufficient depth on calm days.

It's just an out of the box thought.
Old 14-06-2022, 09:29   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I suspect there are maybe mattress toppers with a small water filled cooling hose built in.

How about taking a similar small hose throwing one end over board with a small weight, so that it picks up water say at 6ft below (the lower the cooler usually), than have a small pump take it though the topper and dump it back over board.
Would need some sort of safety valve like on a washing machine though to prevent flooding of the boat.

Actually, I was dreaming about doing this maybe 15 years ago or so. I noticed there were some really hot days and the water was exceptionally cold a little bit below the surface.

The idea would work perfectly in many parts of the world. The only problem is dealing with all of that growth that comes in with the seawater. I feel like you would end up having to replace things a lot. Or are you would end up with clogged up areas where organisms decided to take up residence.

Not really any different than other water cooled devices, but I have eliminated all of those for my boat so I don’t think in that direction so much now.
Old 14-06-2022, 09:48   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I took a spare Chevy heater core some tubing a battery solar panel tiny controller a cheap bulge pump in the bottom of a cooler in the cockpit. Two 80mm computer fan should pushed the air cooled the boat but of course does not remove the humidity.

The next two boats came with air cause the wife said so. I just repaired it. It sucks humidity out and can’t be substituted.

The ones which add cool misted air increase humidity.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 10:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
I took a spare Chevy heater core some tubing a battery solar panel tiny controller a cheap bulge pump in the bottom of a cooler in the cockpit. Two 80mm computer fan should pushed the air cooled the boat but of course does not remove the humidity.

The next two boats came with air cause the wife said so. I just repaired it. It sucks humidity out and can’t be substituted.

The ones which add cool misted air increase humidity.
There are going to be a lot of different use cases here. We are all picturing our own boats, we are all picturing the places we cruise in. We are all picturing the places we live in.

These places are very diverse. These boats are very diverse.

I’m picturing not spending the summer in the tropics. Real air-conditioning is a necessity in that case. At least in my opinion.

I’m picturing you move the boat where it is appropriate and only have to use this things once in a great while when it is super hot out with a heat wave.

Or maybe also on warm days when it is getting buggy, there is some rain, and you have to close almost everything up. Maybe there’s pollution that you don’t want to breathe and you have to close up for that. But you still want to go to sleep and not sweat.
Old 14-06-2022, 10:18   #22

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I wouldn't expect humidity to be a huge concern unless you're cooling the bunk pretty cold. If it's 90* out with a dew point of 70*, cooling the bunk to 75* will still cool you down significantly, but because it's above the dew point, you won't get condensation.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 14:17   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Air Temperature 90°F .or. 90°F
Relative Humidity 65% .or. 90%
Dew Point Temperature 75°F .or. 86.7°F
https://www.calculator.net/dew-point-calculator.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 14:54   #24

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post

I pictured this poor fellow waking up after experiencing a floating feeling in the night to find the cabin full of water and the boat half submerged after the outlet hose came loose.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 16:58   #25

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
We use these types of cooling blankets on patients in the ICU all the time... We induce hypothermia with these.
Hypothermia was my first thought. How do you keep it from sucking too much heat from your body?
Old 14-06-2022, 17:34   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
Hypothermia was my first thought. How do you keep it from sucking too much heat from your body?
I’m going to have to assume the same way an electric blanket doesn’t cause hyperthermia. A thermostat.

But I tell you, there are some nights in Florida where I sure wish I had hypothermia.

A true case of hypothermia might give you like 20 minutes to a half hour of “just right” comfort on a night like that. Ha ha ha
Old 14-06-2022, 17:51   #27

We own one (evaporative cooling mattress pad) and it has been wonderful. Made a huge difference in the summer in the Caribbean. Minimal power consumption. Highly recommended.
svsweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 17:58   #28

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I’m going to have to assume the same way an electric blanket doesn’t cause hyperthermia. A thermostat.

But I tell you, there are some nights in Florida where I sure wish I had hypothermia.

A true case of hypothermia might give you like 20 minutes to a half hour of “just right” comfort on a night like that. Ha ha ha
LOL I hear ya! 96 F here today. No central air (circa 1900 Queen Ann house w/ hot water heat) and I don't have the room AC's in yet. Only 'good' thing is the humidity isn't too high (yet). Still, not FL...

And not trying to be argumentative but you can 'kick off' a blanket. I think the concept is interesting, and I know it works (the concept). About 20 years ago I got a mild case (in as much as I didn't require emergency care) of heat exhaustion. I was able to get into an air conditioned space and laid flat on a cold concrete floor. I could literally feel it 'suck' the heat from my body. Given that the mfr's website says the unit can cool as low as 55F (if I understood correctly) I'd be a little concerned. But I'm not a physiologist, so what do I know?
Old 14-06-2022, 18:24   #29

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

The hypothermia happens because we set the temperature to 32° C these small evaporative coolers don't have that capacity. As we all know, water is a very effective medium of liberating body heat. Even without adding cooling to these water blankets, just the water circulating alone would liberate a substantial amount of body heat. It's a great idea!

In my boat, I use a portable stand-up air conditioner which is capable of running off the inverter. It only runs at about 9 amps so I can run it through the night if I wish. The water blanket is a great idea!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 19:36   #30

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I survived in indonesia by sleeping outside on the deck. This is the coolest way and I was able to recover from the heat of the day.

sleeping in trampoline is also very cool because air flowing directly under and above you
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, cooling