Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2022, 19:39   #31

Re: What about cooling just your bed??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I suspect there are maybe mattress toppers with a small water filled cooling hose built in.

Just a conceptual idea - seawater cooled mattress topper.

How about taking a similar small hose throwing one end over board with a small weight, so that it picks up water say at 6ft below (the lower the cooler usually), than have a small pump take it though the topper and dump it back over board.
Would need some sort of safety valve like on a washing machine though to prevent flooding of the boat.

Of course this would only work in clean water of sufficient depth on calm days.

It's just an out of the box thought.
Funny, I had a similar idea, except running the cool water through a small radiator and then using a small oscillating fan. This almost sounds like the same basic process as a land-based geothermal system used in many residential applications (I think).

Good point about a potential problem of undesirable "things" getting into the plumbing. Could this be solved by having a closed-loop, with fresh water circulating to a depth to get sufficiently cooled?

There are charts available (google search) showing rate of water temperature decrease per X feet of depth. Probably not as predictable as land, but still may be sufficient temperature drop to cool a cabin. I was even trying to conceptualize incorporation of a siphon into the loop (to reduce energy required for a circulating pump), but I am not so sure that could be accomplished.
Overdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 03:42   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I’m actually not sure what everyone said about humidity. It’s a very real factor. Toronto is 28C today with a humidex which sets the temperature at 31. I’m sure you can google some fast math on that.
Anyway air conditioning on our boat depends on where you find an anchorage. In the thousand islands and Georgian Bay I’d try to get Shade from afternoon sun from trees or rocks. The air won’t run without the generator. We also have a dehumidifier. The dehumidifier makes the air conditioning easy. We’ve added a raspberry pi 4 to the boat. You can open a hatch 1 1/2” and turn on the air remote. We dislike arriving to shot boat. The air broke last summer but 400$ in parts and its brand newused. The 12V air is almost double the cost of the plug in only air.
Cooling or heating a body directly I’d leave up to a doctor or medical professional.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 04:31   #33

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
I survived in indonesia by sleeping outside on the deck. This is the coolest way and I was able to recover from the heat of the day.

sleeping in trampoline is also very cool because air flowing directly under and above you
Yes. This is true. Bugs though? No problems being eaten by mosquitoes?

I’ve also found (higher quality) air mattresses do a good job of keeping you cooler than regular ones. They don’t insulate below your body and help allow the heat to leave naturally. You need a mattress pad on them in cooler weather, but in hot weather they are great.

The air mattress I have now was bought back in April I think? I bought it to experiment with saving hundreds of pounds off my boat. I’ve been sleeping on it every night since then and it’s fantastic. I’m putting them in my boat on each berth instead of heavy standard mattresses.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 09:51   #34

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post

I’ve also found (higher quality) air mattresses do a good job of keeping you cooler than regular ones. They don’t insulate below your body and help allow the heat to leave naturally. You need a mattress pad on them in cooler weather, but in hot weather they are great.

The air mattress I have now was bought back in April I think? I bought it to experiment with saving hundreds of pounds off my boat. I’ve been sleeping on it every night since then and it’s fantastic. I’m putting them in my boat on each berth instead of heavy standard mattresses.
Link please to the air mattress. Thank you.
Old 15-06-2022, 10:09   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Link please to the air mattress. Thank you.
Yes, ma’am.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07S6...b_b_asin_title

It is a higher end air mattress believe it or not, even at that price. My logic is if I ever popped it or something I could just get another one very easily for far less than a traditional mattress or foam costs.

And for Catamaran weight savings, this can’t be beat. I was looking at how to bring my motorcycle on the boat. And I was trying to find ways to save the same amount of weight a motorcycle adds. This saves more weight than a motorcycle by switching to these from standard mattresses.
Old 15-06-2022, 10:16   #36
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

I’ve also found (higher quality) air mattresses do a good job of keeping you cooler than regular ones. They don’t insulate below your body and help allow the heat to leave naturally. You need a mattress pad on them in cooler weather, but in hot weather they are great....

The cure for bugs is usually to anchor at least 200 yards from shore and don't cook a hot meal (they will follow the smell). Most mosquitoes don't venture too far over water.

Back packers learned a long time ago that air mattresses suck in the winter because they don't insulate. Thus, you make a good point.
Old 15-06-2022, 10:28   #37

Boat: Seaward 22

anyone use this? www.bedjet.com
ohdrinkboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 12:16   #38

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I've been following this topic closely. We cruise in the tropics generally and that is where the issue of sleep comfort occurs for me and the admiral.

In tropical regions, often the inside the boat temp is well over 80f all night long. I found this bullet point on the BedJet web site. I suspect other systems by other makers have the same or similar limitation. Is this a deal breaker for people cruising in tropical regions? For me, I'm not certain - regardless of what the manufacturer says - might this device still reduce the temp enough to go from "Dear lord, I can't sleep it's hot as hell" to something more dealable. For me, that would be enough to make it worthwhile.
  • BedJet is not a replacement for having zero air conditioning in extreme heat bedrooms over 79°F. If your bedroom air temperature is regularly over 79°F, the extreme heat will overwhelm the convective cooling method of the BedJet. We’d recommend investing in some air conditioning first.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 12:31   #39

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
We have something similar in the house, and we love it. They're basically very small aircon units. I'm not sure how practical they are for a boat though. I suspect a pretty big energy draw.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2022, 12:57   #40

Quote:
Whoa!!!!

That is seriously amazing. Solves all of the problems. The moisture is the big problem.

That little box doesn’t look very big. That can’t be a big compressor in there. If that’s what it’s doing. Would love to see a little more detail on how that thing works.
Old 15-06-2022, 12:59   #41

Ahhhh. Found the answer:

“Does BedJet actually cool the air?

The BedJet is not actually an AC device. It doesn't cool air, but rather provides room temperature air circulation for climate control in a single zone, or multiple zones. It's like having the fan on in your room, but still being able to be under the covers.”

However, if they fit a miniature AC unit in there we would really have something.
Old 15-06-2022, 14:19   #42

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Yes, ma’am.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07S6...b_b_asin_title

It is a higher end air mattress believe it or not, even at that price. My logic is if I ever popped it or something I could just get another one very easily for far less than a traditional mattress or foam costs.

And for Catamaran weight savings, this can’t be beat. I was looking at how to bring my motorcycle on the boat. And I was trying to find ways to save the same amount of weight a motorcycle adds. This saves more weight than a motorcycle by switching to these from standard mattresses.
Thanks Chotu, we may give this a try too. Good old cruising cat though not really super light like your beast though... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220615_202758.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	259559
Old 15-06-2022, 15:01   #43

Boat: Seaward 22

so really just need to combine the bedjet with something like thishttps://www.amazon.com/EENOUR-Portable-Conditioners-Cooling-100-240V/dp/B09S3BH1Z3/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=tent+air+conditioner&qid=16553 30420&sr=8-3
ohdrinkboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 06:59   #44

Boat: Allied Princess 36'

Sounds good, BUT NO. We're talking boat in summer here. The water used to cool will be warm so not much cooling. Also think of the ambient temp you're starting out with. Also this type of cooling doesn't work well in Humid Areas. Remember Swamp Coolers?
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 07:01   #45

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinini View Post
Sounds good, BUT NO. We're talking boat in summer here. The water used to cool will be warm so not much cooling. Also think of the ambient temp you're starting out with. Also this type of cooling doesn't work well in Humid Areas. Remember Swamp Coolers?
If you circulate water through the bunk to cool it, you don't need a very low temperature. Even 85 degree water will cool your 98 degree body if there's not much insulation between you and the water.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, cooling