Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 10:48   #1

What kind of head is this, keep or replace?

We just bought a boat with this head, it works but the base is a corroded eye sore so I'd want to replace the base. Looks kind of like photos I've found online of the Skipper II but I'm not sure?

Looking for advice whether I should even try tracking down a base replacement or just pickup something like a Raritan PHII to replace it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1388860859.815000.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	73285
thuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:22   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: What kind of head is this, keep or replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuss View Post
We just bought a boat with this head, it works but the base is a corroded eye sore so I'd want to replace the base. Looks kind of like photos I've found online of the Skipper II but I'm not sure?

Looking for advice whether I should even try tracking down a base replacement or just pickup something like a Raritan PHII to replace it?

Attachment 73285
To me, it looks like a Wilcox-Crittendon. The corrosion on the base tells me that that part is bronze, and from experience with a less grand model, I know that the pump is too. Clean it up and re-paint it.

Have a disc made up for a large O-ring for the pump so you don't have to fuss with leathers, and you'll have a toilet good for another 40 years or so. Ours was quite reliable once we did that. We knew a guy who polished the bronze parts, then painted it with clear two pack polyurethane. A most impressive bit of kit, that golden looking throne....

Ann

P. S. Do not dumpster it; it will be worth something to someone who knows what it is.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:36   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

It is a Skipper toilet. Whether it was made by Wilcox-Crittenden or Thetford I can't tell. Wilcox sold that toilet for many years. When they went out of business the design was bought by Thetford who has since discontinued it. If it was being made today the price would be well over a thousand dollars.

In my opinion it was the finest manual marine toilet ever made. Parts are getting hard to find now. If you can find the parts, it's a very good toilet but at some point parts will be unavailable.

The Groco K is a similar design, almost as good, still in production but about a thousand dollars.

The Raritan PHII is a very good choice for a manual toilet today. At less than half the price of the Groco K, it is a very good value.
Raritan PHII Marine Toilet
Old 04-01-2014, 11:39   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
To me, it looks like a Wilcox-Crittendon. The corrosion on the base tells me that that part is bronze, and from experience with a less grand model, I know that the pump is too. Clean it up and re-paint it.

Have a disc made up for a large O-ring for the pump so you don't have to fuss with leathers, and you'll have a toilet good for another 40 years or so. Ours was quite reliable once we did that. We knew a guy who polished the bronze parts, then painted it with clear two pack polyurethane. A most impressive bit of kit, that golden looking throne....

Ann

P. S. Do not dumpster it; it will be worth something to someone who knows what it is.
Well said about the head. If it is a Wilcox Crittendon or Skipper then it is well worth saving. Is the base rusty or is it green?

kind regards,
Old 04-01-2014, 12:10   #5

Boat: Seaton Durbeck 48

A great head, but, alas, they don't last forever. I had two aboard my boat for years. Cannibalized the first to keep the second going. The second finally suffered a broken internal part that doomed it. Repair kits are available, but the metal internals are almost impossible to locate and very costly if you're lucky enough to find them.
Great while they're working, but a failure may make you regret keeping it, especially if it is the only head aboard.
ontno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:12   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

The throne of kings ( and queens over 5' 6" tall ).
Old 05-01-2014, 08:10   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
The throne of kings ( and queens over 5' 6" tall ).
That's why the better sort of head features grab bars mounted slightly lower than one might expect...
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:34   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I had a bronze WC sandblasted years ago with the intent of repainting it. I left it in the basement for a while and it developed a nice patina and I kinda liked the look. I re-installed it in the boat and it never stained or corroded for the next 10yrs I owned the boat.

Tags
head