Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2022, 10:44   #1

Boat: Hullmaster 27
What sealant for water tanks?

I decided to open up my water tank to give it a thorough clean ...

my question is ... what sealant should I use when I screw the top back down? The present stuff is translucent pale brown and elasticcy.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220506_092927782.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	257251Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220506_103956616.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	257252
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 19:23   #2

Re: What sealant for water tanks?

A cork/rubber gasket. Canadian Tire, Automotive section, about 18' x 36" x 1/16" thick. $20.00+/- It must be made in one piece, so size matters.

It's rolled up so unroll it and let it relax for 24 hours, use the lid for a template, and drill all the fastener holes first through the holes in the lid, sightly smaller than the outside diameter of the fasteners. Next cut the inside and outside to size so that the gasket is just the same width as the overlap of the lid on the tank. Standard scissors are fine, it's easy, all done in about half an hour.

No sealant required if the lid fits tight to the tank. You have lots of fasteners so this is almost assured. No need to over tighten the fasteners.

If you want, a really light coating of Permatex Silver Anti Seize (Canadian Tire $12.00 for a lifetime supply) on the gasket will ensure that the next time you remove the lid the gasket remains serviceable. Olive oil as a substitute may only last a year or two.

You will thank me after the next opening of the lid as there will be nothing to clean in order to reassemble.

Clean the sealant off of everything first, in my world sealants are not fit for this kind of service where disassembly is required.
Putt-Putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 19:27   #3

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

We used Sika 1A on our previous boat's water tanks. It is certified to the NSF/ANSI Standard 61 for potable water.

Matt
Old 07-05-2022, 00:57   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to use good ol' Silicone Seal.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 01:45   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Lexel or a very unusual food safe silicone. The tank is likely PETG and almost nothing adheres to it.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:43   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

The tank appears to be glassed into the hull.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:19   #7

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Thanks everyone ... yes tank is glassed in.

I managed to get some "aquarium grade" silicone which is rated safe for food contact, and seems to be doing the job.

The rubber gasket idea sounds good ... if it looks like I'll make a habit of opening the tanks I'll try that next time.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt-Putt View Post

[...] Permatex Silver Anti Seize [...]

I'd be very much disinclined to put that stuff in my drinking water.

MSDS: https://www.permatex.com/wp-content/.../sds/81464.pdf
Cwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 04:08   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Water tanks are not that expensive. Seems they all eventually expire. I’d be so disappointed it’s glassed in I’d sell the boat.
Uncle ALS fish tank sealant is amazing stuff. Most silicone struggle to adhere to glass. It’s not designed to hold onto ABS or PETG but will for awhile. Any glue which will adhere to PETG will dissolve it. Heat bonding can thin another area for the next break. You could use a flexible bladder.
Apparently most of our plastic things we eat drink and store food in is PETG.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:01   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Polyethylene terephthalate glycol, or PETG, is a Glycol Modified version of Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET). There are several variations of this material, including PETE, and PETT.
PETG is less brittle, and more pliable than PET, making it ideal for bottles. It also has better shock resistance, and is better suited to higher temperatures. PETG is commonly used in 3D printing.
Silicone Adhesives, Cyanoacrylate (Superglue), Polyurethane Glue, Epoxy, and solvent welding all work well for bonding PETG.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:01   #11

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Water tanks are not that expensive. Seems they all eventually expire. I’d be so disappointed it’s glassed in I’d sell the boat.

Depends on what the tank is made of. If it's entirely made of fiberglass, it can be repaired, re-coated on the inside, etc. if there's an issue. Total replacement is unlikely.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 05:25   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Uncle ALS fish tank sealant is amazing stuff. Most silicone struggle to adhere to glass. It’s not designed to hold onto ABS or PETG but will for awhile. Any glue which will adhere to PETG will dissolve it. Heat bonding can thin another area for the next break. You could use a flexible bladder.
Apparently most of our plastic things we eat drink and store food in is PETG.
I hope not… my hull is part of the tanks and replacing wouldn’t really work for me.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sealant, tanks, water