Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2011, 12:32   #31

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Re: Are Sailboats Designed to be Polluters?

If you are truly eco friendly and nature loving, you will contribute your ecosystem-entwined poo the natural way! Back into the dirt or water! Consuming resources to move poo around is the big ecological crime. It's poop, you can't keep it out of the world, it's going to go back to the dirt, you can't stop that.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 13:14   #32

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
So I'm on Yachtworld looking at a beautiful Beneteau sailboat some 55' long with three staterooms and three bathrooms and a frigging 25 gallon holding tank. All sailboats are built like that?
Wel most production boats seem to be built to impress at the boat shows and by the time you find out that they include many impracticalities, you've already paid your money. Eg. New Bavaria 55 at Sydney boatshow didn't have one proper sized double bed. All of them were narrowed at the foot. In this case the two bedrroms at the stern were narrowed so they could fit a dinghy garage in the stern. It seems typical of the large manufacturers to put in as many "features" as possible (usually multiple bedrooms & bathrooms) but for the long haul cruising couple I think it is more important to have 1 good sized bedroom with a normal sized bed and 1 good sized bathroom with generous tankage capacities. It goes a long way to making the fairer sex feel "at home". If it means that the visitors are a bit more cramped, well, they just go home a bit earlier.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 13:34   #33

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
...for the long haul cruising couple I think it is more important to have 1 good sized bedroom with a normal sized bed and 1 good sized bathroom with generous tankage capacities. It goes a long way to making the fairer sex feel "at home". If it means that the visitors are a bit more cramped, well, they just go home a bit earlier.

Greg
Couldn't agree more. Visitors being cramped and going home early reminds me of the uncomfortable chairs in the parlour so the do-drop-in minister leaves early, too.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 13:40   #34

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Are Sailboats Designed to be Polluters ?

Imagine a morning swim in Bight in the BVI's with 70 or 80 boats moored (estimate 5 heads per boat). My guess is 1 in 10 even know they even have a 15 gallon holding tank they can switch in and out.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 14:13   #35

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Re: Are Sailboats Designed to be Polluters ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv5l View Post
Lorenzo, could you provide your specs for comparison?
We have one toilet plumbed directly to a 250 gallon holding tank and with two adults that lasts us 3 to 4 months.
It is really a pleasure and luxury to have such a large tank and not to have to think about it. Every 3 months we go out to deep water 10 miles offshore and pump out.
There are indeed many places where it's ok to dump out small loads, but we all seem to want to be at that special bay or beach.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 14:19   #36

Re: Are sailboats designed to be polluters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
Hmmm... Overtankage, over eating and over weight? Seriously, there are ways to make a smallish tank work, like following the yellow/mellow and brown/down ditty. Sixty gallons is a helluvalotta crap me thinks!!! You have to stop acting like you're connected to the city sewer system.
Tell that to the wife.......
It sounds big enough to me

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 14:24   #37

Re: Are Sailboats Designed to Be Polluters ?

I have a composting head. Sitting mighty high on my non-polluting high horse over here.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 14:25   #38

However the fishing boat I work on only does direct discharge, but we don't let anyone use it until we're out of the harbor.
Old 14-08-2011, 14:27   #39

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I agree! The small holding tank size is most production boats is absurd!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 15:11   #40

Boat: Columbia 41

Lorenzo, what do you use to pump out the holding tank? Did your boat come with some sort of sewage ejector?
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 16:10   #41

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

There was a thread here recently in which someone said that it's worse for a holding tank to sit and multiply the bacteria than to do direct discharge.

Not taking sides, just reporting what was posted.

Where's Peg Hall when you need her?

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 16:46   #42

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
re: What Size Holding Tank? (Merged)

if it gets clogged, just take a hose and fill tank with sea water.
have an inspection port hole in the top and stir it , mix it with a stick and force it out the thru hull. I wonder if you could pressurize the holding tank as an aid to force waste out of the tank. Disconnect the vent line or have a ball valve arrangement and pressurize the tank by using a small air or bicycle foot pump. But if the thru hull was shut or blocked and the tank pressure keeps building, then somehow somewhere its going to blow out. Good tank test.
OR completely fill tank and use a positive displacement piston pump (think of car hydraulic brakes) That means since fluid cant compress, that waste fluid must go out the thru hull. Regarding the inspection port hole cover, you will need to hold down to keep a good seal and let the air pressure blow out the waste. a full tank might get some leakage around that plate.

If you had a leaf blower that has pretty decent air output. perhaps you could pressure the system with that using the pump out fitting. close off vent and place output of blower on pumpout and turn it on. Instant easy pressure to force the waste out.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 17:05   #43

re: What Size Holding Tank? (Merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskira View Post
The probleme with the gravity dumping is the solid and paper can clog easely the system. A manual pump help by pressure to reduce the solid.
It is my own experinece. the gravity dumping works with a valve with a large diameter, 4" will be the minimum. But the cost is quite prohibitive.
On a small boat I will go for 20 gallons. More start to be a probleme on space.
i had no problem with gravity and 1.5 diamter on 2 boats. If you,re sailing at all, there seem to be no chunks left at all...a lot of bounci.g around like a washing machine!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 17:13   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
There was a thread here recently in which someone said that it's worse for a holding tank to sit and multiply the bacteria than to do direct discharge.

Not taking sides, just reporting what was posted.

Where's Peg Hall when you need her?
Not arguing with there being a difference, but "better" can imply that either option is in anyway okay. Like saying it's better to get shot in the knees than in the stomach.
Old 14-08-2011, 17:17   #45

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Good luck finding a pump out in most of the Caribbean. They simply dont exist. No choice but to pump it overboard. But what is the big deal? Its organic isnt it? Far better than some of the nasty stuff people put in their holding tanks to sterilize everything.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank