Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 08:21   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
What Temps Should Air Cooled Fridge Compressor Run At ?

Rebuilt my fridge and have been very pleased with performance. We went with an Air cooled frigoboat system for mechanicals and may add a keel cooler at some point. I set up the compressor with a duct to take the hot air up to a vent that dumps into the cockpit. All seems to be working well but Im a little concerned about the fan on the compressor being strong enough to move the hot air up the duct and out the cockpit vent. The duct run is about 6' in total length and takes a smooth 90* turn out of the compressor, up 4', then a smooth 90* turn and out the cockpit vent.

I have an IR temp gun and was going to see what sort of temps the compressor is getting up to but wanted to first see if there were some guidlines? How hot is too hot? What is ideal compressor temp? Where is best place to measure temp at on compressor?

Maybe add another computer fan or something inline to assist the heat removal but only if I really need to. Got enough other work to do...

Thanks all,
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 14:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: What temps should Air cooled Fridge Compressor run at?

With ambient air of 90º F interring condenser coil compressor’s dome is to hot to keep hand on 125º to 130º F. True performance of condensing unit can be checked by temperature reading of high pressure line from condenser coil to evaporator, it should be 100º to 110º F or cooler if ambient air interring condenser is cooler than 90º.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 15:11   #3

The upward duct is a chimney and actually should help the fan... not hinder it. Make sure you have a fresh air inlet in the cabinetry....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 15:44   #4

Boat: Taswell 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
With ambient air of 90º F interring condenser coil compressor’s dome is to hot to keep hand on 125º to 130º F. True performance of condensing unit can be checked by temperature reading of high pressure line from condenser coil to evaporator, it should be 100º to 110º F or cooler if ambient air interring condenser is cooler than 90º.

Thanks Richard I was hoping you would reply. I just checked and im seeing 135 on the dome but I just put some hot stuff in the box and the compressor has been running full tilt for a while now, before that I was seeing 125. Im seeing 100 on the condensor line just as you suggest. Will continue to monitor. Thanks again for your help.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor