Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 18:58   #1

What to do about the head

Have a Jabsco 37010-1090 electric head. Now make lod screeching noises when button is pushed, water does flow into and out of the bowl. So my question is this; should I invest in repairing this head and then I will have a very noisy unit - or should I invest in a better electric head - either a Raritan or (?your recommendations) and get a quieter more efficient unit??
AJT-42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 19:10   #2

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Re: What to do about the head

Get a Raritqn Sea Era.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 19:27   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

J Clark is right on it. Don't even think about trying to rehab the Jabsco. Raritan sells a unit that uses the same bowl and the bolt patterns even match. Not all that much money (you'll spend more than that rebuilding the Jabsco over and over again) and far, far better quality.

By the way, that loud screeching noise you hear is very likely the motor having rusted because the Jabsco design and seals can't keep the water out. It is close to death and using far more electrons due to the resistance.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 19:35   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

throw some oil into it--cooking oil , mineral oil , any lite non motor oil for the rubber stuff squeeking
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:14   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

AJT: We have a Jabsco Quiet Flush on freshwater, a different model from yours but perhaps similar in some respects. I tried to replace the shaft seal last Spring, but that didn't stop the slight leak that had developed. The unit had also been getting noisier over the last of the previous season, and while occasional dollops of cooking oil did help that symptom until the leak appeared, replacing the shaft seal didn't solve the noise.

After that, the nice Jabsco folks allowed as how I'd probably gotten my money's worth from the original macerator... so I then replaced the whole motor/pump assembly, and that fixed it. Relatively inexpensive fix, relatively easy to perform.

Having tried it once. I wouldn't bother to try replacing a shaft seal again; I'd go straight to the whole motor/pump assembly. (Assuming intent to repair the existing unit.)

You can get the manual and parts illustration at: http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/marine-and-rv/

-Chris
Old 09-07-2013, 08:35   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Like Ranger said the easiest fix is to replace the motor / pump unit at about $190.00.
Jabsco 37041-0010 Toilet Motor / Pump Assembly 12 v.

The Raritan Sea Era conversion would be an up grade at about $375.00.
It is much quieter than the Jabsco because it uses a diaphragm pump instead of a rubber impeller pump to bring in the flush water.
Sea Era Conversion Kit - 16LI012
Old 09-07-2013, 21:21   #7

Thanks everyone, seems the consensus is to upgrade to the Raritan via the conversion kit. Can anyone comment on the ability of either the Jabsco or Raritan bowl in handling sticky stuff?? Needs lots of water in the bowl or a lot of presoak? This is not a nice subject!
AJT-42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 21:47   #8

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
We have a raritan sea era in the aft head, jabsco in the forward head. Raritan is better quality and performance, no question, and the price differential is so close it's really no contest. Not sure I want to ask about sticky stuff though. I'll be replacing the jabsco with another sea era from hopcar as soon as the jabsco starts to fail. $375 is about the best price you'll find. I couldn't find a price that good even at the Dania marine flea market last March.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 23:20   #9

Boat: PT-11
The Raritan conversion looks interesting. Does it change the seat height? Can you reuse the existing wires and switches from the Jabsco unit?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 23:48   #10

Big fan of the sea era. Sometimes I have to hold the button down for a bit before it flushes, but that's probably something particular to my setup.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head