Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 17:08   #16

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Bleach for plastic, Iodine for stainless. I've read several places that stronger concentrations of bleach and stainless are not a good combination.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 17:23   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Good idea, but iodine and stainless gives the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Bleach for plastic, Iodine for stainless. I've read several places that stronger concentrations of bleach and stainless are not a good combination.

Both are halogens. It is simply not as studied or well known. It is a little less aggressive, but you need to add more iodine to have the same disinfectant effect...

The reality is the amount an time is so limited it is nothing to worry over. It is something that happens over years, not hours.
Old 02-10-2009, 17:59   #18

Boat: Ranger 32 "Done Deal"
Bleach........fill....drain (or pump out).

In the Marine Corps, all of our portable water tanks (trailer types) are sanitized by a small amount of plain old bleach, inexpensive and easy.
sugar and spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 17:58   #19

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
In the Marine Corps, all of our portable water tanks (trailer types) are sanitized by a small amount of plain old bleach, inexpensive and easy.
ditto on the "water buffalo"...
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:06   #20

Boat: Endeavour 40
New problems...

Well,

After removing the inspection ports on both tanks I was happy to discover that it was not mold growing in the tank, but hard water deposits being reflected through the top.

However, I have now discovered that I have a leak in my aft tank which was only discovered when filling the bleach solution to the top. I don't know the source of the leak except that it is about a third of the way down the tank somewhere (this is where the water level stopped dropping). I am looking into ways to coat the tank in position without having to remove the tank (this is a major project). Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated!
s/v Geneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:25   #21

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
thinwater - The filter you reference removes chlorine. You want that in there until you are ready to drink. It will reduce the chance of stuff growing. Look for a filter to remove all particles (http://www.wolfgangcarcare.com/waterfilter.html) is an example.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:33   #22

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
What type of tank is it?

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:15   #23

The tank is aluminum. I have used a coating for gas tanks in the past that will seal the tank, is there anything like this for potable water tanks? The biggest problem I see will be lack of maneuverability in that I won't be able to turn the tank to get an even coating.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:39   #24
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
If you can find the hole, you could patch it with epoxy.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:20   #25

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
JB Weld, works on just about everything! I patched 4 rustpit pinholes in a gas tank and outlasted the car. Also used it on our electrolysis pitted timing chain cover on the Westerbeke (PO didn't ever check the zincs). Dang thing was like swiss cheese! No leekee now.....
Old 06-10-2009, 18:58   #26

I did find the hole and it is not that big, looks like rubbing of the tank may have been the problem. There is a good bit of silt that is at the bottom of the tank and many limestone deposits that need to be scraped off, however I believe that the tank is easily salvageable.

The hole is about arms length down and is about the size of a silver dollar. I was thinking of taking a square piece of aluminum and epoxying it to the inside of the tank covering the hole. I would prefer to do this from the outside but it is not accessible. Is there a particular type of epoxy that has underwater performance and would have no toxicity to the water that someone has experience with?

Even if I can salvage the majority of the tank it would be worth my while, but I would love to be able to top it off without worrying about it. This tank is one of two in the boat and accounts for 79 gallons while the other is 97 gallons. This doesn't present me with a huge problem right away as I am in a marina 90% of the time, however, before I do some cruising I would love to have this problem solved.
Old 06-10-2009, 19:12   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
How much bleach to add to drinking water?

Hi Folks,

Some people put bleach in their tank every fill in some countires.

How much bleach per tank?

I can't find a post detailing it, but I'm sure I have seen one... and I know a guy who told me how much he uses but I can't remember... 30ml per 100 litres?

Anyway, can you please tell me how much I could use without affecting the taste of the water.

We already use a commercail product but I would like to use bleach instead every so often.

mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 19:26   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
How much bleach to add to drinking water?

Hi Folks,

Some people put bleach in their tank every fill in some countires.

How much bleach per tank?

I can't find a post detailing it, but I'm sure I have seen one... and I know a guy who told me how much he uses but I can't remember... 30ml per 100 litres?

Anyway, can you please tell me how much I could use without affecting the taste of the water.

We already use a commercail product but I would like to use bleach instead every so often.

mark
Mark,

While this is not exactly the answer you are looking for maybe it will help. I added a little more than a cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of water in the tank and let this mixture sit overnight. I was wanting to "shock the system" so to speak so I'm sure I went a little overboard on the bleach but it surely did the job. After the second drain and refill the bleach odor was minimal, and I expect the remainder to be gone after one more tank. A previous poster stated that 1/2 cup for every 10 gallons of water was the average concentration that he had found in his research. This would probably be more than sufficient for routine maintenance.

Daniel
Old 07-10-2009, 07:37   #29

Honestly, with your size tanks, you could put a gallon in each and not hurt anything. Might also want to consider treating with vinegar first for the calcium deposits....
Old 07-10-2009, 07:53   #30

Boat: MJM 50 Z
A particulate filter on the dock hose is fine but using carbon filters there is a bad idea, unless you plan to treat each tank of water when you fill up.
The municipal chlorine helps keep your whole system safe.
Our routine is to empty our water tanks before heading home and refill every week.
The chlorine is only good for a week or so.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote