Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Where do you normally dump your sewage?
Always dump further out to sea, beyond the legal line 42 22.11%
Mostly dump beyond the legal line 15 7.89%
Mostly dump closer to shore, before the legal line 4 2.11%
Always dump before the line 3 1.58%
I dump where I think it’s OK. I don’t really consider where the legal line is 49 25.79%
I always use the proper pump out facilities 42 22.11%
My country doesn't have pump out rules, yet. 8 4.21%
I never dump at sea -- only pumpouts 27 14.21%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2021, 15:01   #151

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Where do you dump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
1. Medications both directly and through excretion have an impact on the environment. From my reading, birth control chemicals on frogs are considered a leading indicator.

2. Detergents (vice soap) are rough on the environment also. So, as a digression, is me wearing clothes that haven't been washed. *grin*

3. People, because you can't fix stupid, pour all kinds of things down the drain including paint, thinner, acetone, and any manner of other chemicals.

Three different categories of things. I'm sure there are more bad things people pour down drains, including motor oil, coolant, all manner of solvents, ....

Of all of this stuff, by far the most harmful, I believe, is what gets discharged in gray water. How many of you who freak out about 400 grams of human waste discharged into a billion liters of sea water (and that is just the immediate vicinity of the discharge), use non-biodegradable dish soap on board? Do you have any idea how harmful that is to marine life even in very low concentrations?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 15:07   #152

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Of all of this stuff, by far the most harmful, I believe, is what gets discharged in gray water.
Well mainstream media is NOT a credible source, but here on the Chesapeake Bay, it seems birth control chemicals are the worst.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 16:28   #153

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

From what I understand, on the Chesapeake Bay the worst pollution comes from agricultural runoff. Pesticides, fertilizer, manure at an industrial scale is the biggest problem.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 17:28   #154

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We have a large 110 gal holding tank. When in the US, we use pump out facilities. When out at sea, we dump legally.
Old 14-08-2021, 01:58   #155

Boat: Presto 36

You left out options for composters. I dump the desiccated contents of mine, on my own property, in a mulch composting bin dedicated to my flower gardening needs.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 03:06   #156

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
You left out options for composters.
Here in Annapolis composting toilets are no longer allowed on City mooring balls. Too many boaters dumping compost in waste bins.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 03:26   #157

Boat: Tayana 47

I had an eye opening experience with composting a few years ago and was again reminded of it this spring. Those with no interest in composting may want to skip over this post.

My family has had a summer cottage on a big, mostly spring fed lake that’s the drinking water supply for the local area. When the cottage was built back in the late 50’s it was customary to plumb a normal household toilet out to a wooden box buried in the ground that was covered by about 4”-6” of dirt. In order to keep excessive amounts of rainwater from flooding it the top of the box was a piece of exterior plywood supported by some creosote coated planks they got from old power lines but the sides and bottom of the box had 1/4” spaces between boards so liquids could easily drain into the surrounding soil and dirt didn’t fall into to box. The size of the box was about 3’x3’ and it was only about 2’ deep due to numerous granite boulders of various sizes scattered everywhere. My family of 6 would live full time in this cottage from mid June until school started around September 1 and it’s continued to be used regularly for 2-3 summer months each year. Around year 2000 the toilet began to occasionally have trouble flushing so we decided to dig up the box one spring day before we opened the camp up for the season to see what the problem was. We’d never had any odors so I was surprised to learn it was buried so shallowly. Once we removed the top I was amazed to find a virtually empty space with a very small amount (1”) of what looked like dried peat moss on the bottom. The problem we found was the the boards had rotted and sides had started to cave in the side near where the sewer pipe entered to box, partially obstructing the flow. After more than 40 years of 6 people using it regularly all summer, thousands of flushes each year, there was no sign of anything resembling toilet paper or human waste inside. Despite urine not being separated like with a composting toilet the bacteria had “eaten” everything so thoroughly that even after so many years the amount of desiccated material left behind wasn’t enough to fill a small wheelbarrow. I realize this isn’t about dumping or boats but I thought those of you with composting toilets might be interested to hear just how thoroughly the composting process can dispose of waste in the right conditions. It all ended this spring when we finally decided to have a proper septic system with leach field installed to accomplish the same thing. Now the gray water is also included and it is all routed first to about a 50 gallon tank with a big diaphragm pump and a float switch, then to a 1000(!) gallon concrete tank buried in the ground, and finally to 8 concrete risers as a leach field we can drive over. After seeing how well the simple wooden box worked it all seems like incredible overkill to me but now we’re up to date and in compliance with the plumbing code, hallelujah.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 04:34   #158
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Here in Annapolis composting toilets are no longer allowed on City mooring balls. Too many boaters dumping compost in waste bins.
Isn't that restriction for extended stays of a week or more?
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 05:58   #159

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Of all of this stuff, by far the most harmful, I believe, is what gets discharged in gray water. How many of you who freak out about 400 grams of human waste discharged into a billion liters of sea water (and that is just the immediate vicinity of the discharge), use non-biodegradable dish soap on board? Do you have any idea how harmful that is to marine life even in very low concentrations?
So are you advocating outlawing dish soap? Don't they use (Dawn) dish soap to clean up birds that have been caught in oil spills?

Bottom line is, pollution is caused by humans. There are too many humans. We need to get rid of some humans and limit the number of new ones.
Old 14-08-2021, 06:01   #160

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
The term "composing toilet" is false advertising. It takes months to make compost from poop and you will never have compost if you add fresh poop every day or two.

The output of a "composting toilet" is nothing more than human waste mixed in with whatever media has been used.
Old 14-08-2021, 06:51   #161

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The term "composing toilet" is false advertising. It takes months to make compost from poop and you will never have compost if you add fresh poop every day or two.

Practical Sailor had an article back in June that I think mostly agreed with this - and for that reason they renamed these "Dessicating Heads". The point being that by separating the solid waste from any liquids, the bacteria dry or sporulate, and odor goes way, way down. That is quite distinct from making compost.

My understanding is that it takes a good deal more than just sitting around for a few months for human solid waste to turn into anything like compost. One approach is to treat it with non-pathogenic bacteria and then heat inactivate it a la Milorganite.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 08:09   #162

Quote:
Just about all the boaters I know have taken pains to only use bio-degradable non-toxic cleaning products onboard. This is probably because we're on the Great Lakes with its more stringent rules, and because most of these folks are also avid campers/canoers/hikers and very mindful of their camping footprint.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 08:57   #163
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
... non-biodegradable dish soap on board? Do you have any idea how harmful that is to marine life even in very low concentrations?

This is a good point. I've done bioassay testing on industrial wastewater plants (consulting engineer and former lab devil), and the effect of surfactants on plankton and small fish is always breathtaking. Use as little soap as possible, preferably none when avoidable.

In fact, using surfactants to clean up oil spills and wildlife is a very complicated subject. It is nearly always a bad idea (I was involved in treating water and waste from the Gulf spill--I was engineering lead for and designed/built one of the largest oily water treatment plants in NOLA). Much of the wastewater (from cleaning spill recovery equipment and wildlife was recovered (not released to the Gulf dirrectly) and treated off-site. But I'm not going to unpack that here.

(This from a chemical guy who produced chemicals and likes them... but I am also very big on effective industrial and municipal waste treatment.)
Old 14-08-2021, 09:01   #164
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

That is not the whole story. I had several long talks with the harbor master.

They have had a problem with a few bum boaters who would dump their trash and poop bags in the small trash cans in the park right next to the park benches at the dinghy dock. Nasty and thoughtless. They have commercial bins available at the harbor master's office; this is where trash from boats in the marina and on mooring is supposed to go.

Dispose of the waste appropriately and there is no problem.
Old 14-08-2021, 10:23   #165

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
That is not the whole story. I had several long talks with the harbor master.

They have had a problem with a few bum boaters who would dump their trash and poop bags in the small trash cans in the park right next to the park benches at the dinghy dock. Nasty and thoughtless. They have commercial bins available at the harbor master's office; this is where trash from boats in the marina and on mooring is supposed to go.

Dispose of the waste appropriately and there is no problem.

As usual, the few ruin things for the many. Still seems like a massive overreaction on the part of Annapolis, but I'm not there.

With regard to detergents and soaps, the one study I found that looked directly at the impact of recreational boaters in the Med found that while black water discharge had a LOW impact in some areas, grey water was rated MODERATE. In other words grey water is likely a bigger issue.

The only soaps we use on board are rated "biodegradable," and we always try and use as little as needed. But I'm sure even this stuff is not good for the ecosystem. There's no free lunch anywhere, and we're always going to have some impact. The trick is to be aware, and to try and cause as little damage as possible.