Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Where do you normally dump your sewage?
Always dump further out to sea, beyond the legal line 42 22.11%
Mostly dump beyond the legal line 15 7.89%
Mostly dump closer to shore, before the legal line 4 2.11%
Always dump before the line 3 1.58%
I dump where I think it’s OK. I don’t really consider where the legal line is 49 25.79%
I always use the proper pump out facilities 42 22.11%
My country doesn't have pump out rules, yet. 8 4.21%
I never dump at sea -- only pumpouts 27 14.21%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 05:09   #181
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Where do you dump?

I just noticed this on a UK Canal Trust web site.
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy...waste-disposal

Apparently composting toilets (really desiccating toilets, since most of those on canal boats are very compact separating types from my understanding) have become popular on the canals and the authority has recently begun prohibiting waste disposal in the authority's bins. Diapers are still permitted. Of course, since most can go weeks, this is not insurmountable. On the other hand, my understanding is that pumpout stations are readily available (fee).

Separator toilet position statement

If you’re considering getting a separator/compost toilet for your boat, please only do so if you have the ability to completely compost the solid waste from your toilet yourself or have access to somewhere that will do this for you. If you don’t have the ability to do this, then getting a composting/separator toilet is not the best solution for you. Pump out and elsan facilities are available across our network that boats with tanks or cassette toilets can use instead.

If you currently have a separator/compost toilet on your boat and are not able to completely compost the solid waste from your toilet yourself or have access to somewhere that will do it for you, then the alternative disposal method of bagging and binning it is not an environmentally sustainable way to deal with this waste. Bagged solid waste disposed of in bins can also lead to cross contamination of other content, which otherwise is sorted and mostly recycled, and can require that the whole content of the bin needing to be disposed of in landfill. Sending waste to landfill adds costs as landfill taxes are charged.

If you have a separator/compost toilet on your boat and have been putting bagged and binned waste in our waste bins, you need to find an alternative way to dispose of this waste. We appreciate that you might not be able to do this straight away, and in the interim small quantities of securely bagged waste can be disposed of in Trust bins if there is no alternative. We respectfully ask that you only do this as a last resort. From the end of December 2021 we request that no bagged solid waste from separator/compost toilets is disposed of in Canal & River Trust waste bins. We will continue to work with boaters and others to identify a sustainable solution for the disposal of this waste.

March 2021
Old 02-09-2021, 05:27   #182

Boat: Camano Troll

Yep, the "solid waste" from a so called "composting toilet" is not "compost" it is poop mixed with whatever media you used. You might as well just **** directly into the dumpster or trash can. Somebody is going to have to deal with it at some point.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:38   #183

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Just a reminder that Incinolet toilets do exist and are a perfect solution for the most rigors requirements PROVIDED you have sufficient AC power. It is perfect for dock queens.

They turn the waste into a teaspoon of sterile dust.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:39   #184
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Yep, the "solid waste" from a so called "composting toilet" is not "compost" it is poop mixed with whatever media you used. You might as well just **** directly into the dumpster or trash can. Somebody is going to have to deal with it at some point.

I think it would be very rare for a human to have to deal with compost that’s been dumped into a dumpster. Please explain.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:43   #185
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I think it would be very rare for a human to have to deal with compost that’s been dumped into a dumpster. Please explain.

One example that was given is if it were placed in the recycle bin (sorting), which is kind of stupid. But I've seen lots of diapers in the recycle.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:44   #186
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
One example that was given is if it were placed in the recycle bin (sorting), which is kind of stupid. But I've seen lots of diapers in the recycle.

Yes that would be stupid.
Old 02-09-2021, 05:45   #187

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
People have to empty dumpsters and more importantly trash bins. They have to be cleaned. The trucks have to be cleaned. There is a huge supply chain.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:50   #188

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Well what happens after you “dump” it. Have you ever gone to a municipal dump? Or worse a big city transfer station?

Sure it goes into a dumpster. But other stuff goes in also including bits of wood and metal and what ever else. The “deposit” is contained in a very thin and fragile bag that is easily punctured. Dumpsters are often left open to the elements, rain and snow gets in and can wash out some of the contents.

The truck comes and dumps the whole contents into the compactor where it is squeezed under high pressure, another good chance of bag rupture and leakage.

Then it may go to a dump or perhaps to a transfer station where the compactor is off loaded (dumped) and the garbage mushed around with heavy equipment. It may be put into a larger truck for eventual transport. I believe some areas are still using open rail cars and yet more handling.

Then it is transferred to some dump site where it is spilled out in the ground and again mushed around with heavy equipment and finally covered over with some dirt, perhaps after a few days of exposure and being picked over by gulls and other birds.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:57   #189

Boat: X442

I try and dump in the toilet.

Oh no! We are talking about the holding tank! Right, well out to sea in that case.

Speaking about pumping out, I have a problem. The hoses connecting to the pump are heavy, solid, big and kind of nicely embraced by the cupboard under the sink next to the toilet. So they are kind of hard to replace while... the connections to the pump leak. Pumping out/dumping on my boat therefore takes a lot of care and plenty of rags to prevent widespread seasickness throughout the crew...

edit: any tips on how to seal?
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:19   #190
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Separator toilet position statement

... Bagged solid waste disposed of in bins can also lead to cross contamination of other content, which otherwise is sorted and mostly recycled, and can require that the whole content of the bin needing to be disposed of in landfill.
I found that claim in the statement to be interesting, and cannot help but wonder if the part about "mostly recycled" is actually true.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:10   #191
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
People have to empty dumpsters and more importantly trash bins. They have to be cleaned. The trucks have to be cleaned. There is a huge supply chain.

People don’t empty dumpsters, they are dumped, and the people emptying the trash cans are dumping them into the dumpster.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:35   #192

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
People don’t empty dumpsters, they are dumped, and the people emptying the trash cans are dumping them into the dumpster.
You didn't read the entire statement.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:49   #193

Quote:
I've never seen anyone climb in and clean a dumpster.

Even public trash cans it's not common. They use bags so they don't have to wash the cans. Certainly no worse than cleaning a public rest room.

While I'm sure they occasionally wash the exterior of the trucks, I have doubts that they have people climb into the compactor to wash it out regularly.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:50   #194
smj

Quote:

I didn’t quote you
Old 02-09-2021, 08:00   #195

Boat: Rafiki 37

Interesting notice. How polite. Sure wish a few here could learn to communicate in a similar vein .

I infer from the notice that these containers are what I'd call recycle bins. Recyclables are collected and apparently sorted. Naturally, you should never dump anything destined for landfill into such a bin. That must include other wet, sticky garbage. They must have a separate collection point for organics.

Given the apparent rise in use of these heads, a more sensible approach would be to provide dedicated collection services, just like they already do for liquid effluent.