Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Where do you normally dump your sewage?
Always dump further out to sea, beyond the legal line 42 22.11%
Mostly dump beyond the legal line 15 7.89%
Mostly dump closer to shore, before the legal line 4 2.11%
Always dump before the line 3 1.58%
I dump where I think it’s OK. I don’t really consider where the legal line is 49 25.79%
I always use the proper pump out facilities 42 22.11%
My country doesn't have pump out rules, yet. 8 4.21%
I never dump at sea -- only pumpouts 27 14.21%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2021, 10:05   #361
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Re: Where do you dump?

BKH has if I recall a monthly log requirement in lew of that my wife would log weekly her pee bucket contributions ..her delema was because her short stature made for some funny expressions when she had to dump it over head into their receptacle ..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:16   #362

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
In SF Bay, pumpouts were required by regulation. They are viewed by marinas as a necessary evil. They take up valuable dock space and are not exactly maintenance free. If composters alleviated use or allowed removal pf pumpouts altogether, those marinas would jump for joy.
Almost everywhere pumpouts are required by regulation. Pumpouts like bottom painting are now big business.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:25   #363

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Taking the contents of a compostable toilet and dumping it in a dustbin is unacceptable , dig a hole and bury it !
Tell that to the millions of families that routinely put their babies' dirty diapers into the trash bin... and that ain't even desiccated like the output from "composting" toilets.

Jim
Old 10-12-2021, 12:47   #364

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Tell that to the millions of families that routinely put their babies' dirty diapers into the trash bin... and that ain't even desiccated like the output from "composting" toilets.
Thanks Jim. And lets not even mention all the soiled hygiene products and even adult diapers that go directly in. This stuff is way worse, and massively greater volume, than any contribution from these heads. No municipal waste system precludes this stuff. So sorry, but it is perfectly acceptable.

ADD: It really gets exhausting dealing with same silly comments over and over and over. If you're honestly interested in learning about these heads, just look up any one of the dozen or so threads that have run on CF.
Old 10-12-2021, 13:46   #365

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

How big is the typical pee reservoir? Four guys, drinking beer, could fill up fast? No, I’m seriously asking!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 14:02   #366
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
How big is the typical pee reservoir? Four guys, drinking beer, could fill up fast? No, I’m seriously asking!

The C-Head takes a standard one gallon milk or water jug, so it depends on how many you have sitting around!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 19:03   #367

Quote:
Math class is in session...

Nature's Head is 2.2 US gallons, or 281.6 fl oz. Air Head is about the same. The typical bladder volume for a male is between 13 and 20 fl oz. So...

281.6 fl oz / 20 fl oz (worst case) = 14.08 uses.

So each guy gets three kicks at the can, with a bit to spare. Not too bad for a night of debauchery. And I have a spare bottle that can be quickly swapped out, so I can double that in times of need.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:12   #368

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Thanks Jim. And lets not even mention all the soiled hygiene products and even adult diapers that go directly in. This stuff is way worse, and massively greater volume, than any contribution from these heads. No municipal waste system precludes this stuff. So sorry, but it is perfectly acceptable.

ADD: It really gets exhausting dealing with same silly comments over and over and over. If you're honestly interested in learning about these heads, just look up any one of the dozen or so threads that have run on CF.

Your constant mischaracterization of what exactly the “product” of your turd collector consists of is what is most tiresome of all. It’s not composted and if you and your wife used it every day for the past week, it’s not even close to desiccated. It’s a bundle of fresh feces mixed with some older, partially desiccated feces along with the bulking material you’ve added to it and I don’t think it belongs in a marinas trash bin any more than I think it’s OK to pump overboard in that marina. You’ve said that you usually dump yours offshore and I think that’s fine but why do you feel like you have to defend others who put their feces in public trash bins when you don’t even do that yourself? I have no problem with these type heads if people who have them would just follow the manufacturers recommendations (which I’ve copied/pasted into these discussions) regarding how the material should be disposed of, but you don’t. Instead, you rationalize that it’s the same as a diaper (nobody deposits 20 lbs of feces from diapers into one public trash bin) or you claim that its about the same as other trash (disregarding pathogens in human feces) that people dispose of or you try to discredit what the manufacturers recommend as being just CYA that they don’t actually mean, or you remind us that it’s not illegal to put your feces in a public trash bin. It’s not illegal but it IS disgusting if your little package of feces is pierced by something sharp thrown in on top of it, just as it’s equally disgusting for a swimmer in a marina where another boater is dumping his holding tank. I think all boaters owe it to fellow boaters as well as to land based neighbors to dispose of their feces in a way that others aren’t exposed to either the odor or the material itself and that’s why most boaters have holding tanks, so they can dump their waste far enough away from others so nobody is aware or offended by it, or it can be pumped into a proper septic system or sewage treatment facility via a pumpout station. The local marina trash bin may be a convenient place to dispose of feces, but it’s not where the manufacturer of your head says it belongs or where common courtesy dictates that it belongs.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:57   #369
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Your constant mischaracterization of what exactly the “product” of your turd collector consists of is what is most tiresome of all. It’s not composted and if you and your wife used it every day for the past week, it’s not even close to desiccated. It’s a bundle of fresh feces mixed with some older, partially desiccated feces along with the bulking material you’ve added to it and I don’t think it belongs in a marinas trash bin any more than I think it’s OK to pump overboard in that marina. You’ve said that you usually dump yours offshore and I think that’s fine but why do you feel like you have to defend others who put their feces in public trash bins when you don’t even do that yourself? I have no problem with these type heads if people who have them would just follow the manufacturers recommendations (which I’ve copied/pasted into these discussions) regarding how the material should be disposed of, but you don’t. Instead, you rationalize that it’s the same as a diaper (nobody deposits 20 lbs of feces from diapers into one public trash bin) or you claim that its about the same as other trash (disregarding pathogens in human feces) that people dispose of or you try to discredit what the manufacturers recommend as being just CYA that they don’t actually mean, or you remind us that it’s not illegal to put your feces in a public trash bin. It’s not illegal but it IS disgusting if your little package of feces is pierced by something sharp thrown in on top of it, just as it’s equally disgusting for a swimmer in a marina where another boater is dumping his holding tank. I think all boaters owe it to fellow boaters as well as to land based neighbors to dispose of their feces in a way that others aren’t exposed to either the odor or the material itself and that’s why most boaters have holding tanks, so they can dump their waste far enough away from others so nobody is aware or offended by it, or it can be pumped into a proper septic system or sewage treatment facility via a pumpout station. The local marina trash bin may be a convenient place to dispose of feces, but it’s not where the manufacturer of your head says it belongs or where common courtesy dictates that it belongs.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah. This coming from someone who admittedly pumps directly overboard illegally.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:36   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Blah blah blah blah blah blah. This coming from someone who admittedly pumps directly overboard illegally.

Pretty much the only sensible response to this unintelligible rant.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:50   #371
CLOD

Boat: none

You may as well toss in some politic discussion into this.

Composter users are like cult members and is not really worth time to "discuss" it with them unless you are going to fall in line.
Old 11-12-2021, 13:31   #372
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You may as well toss in some politic discussion into this.

Composter users are like cult members and is not really worth time to "discuss" it with them unless you are going to fall in line.

Do you have any questions or just trying to antagonize? If you have questions I’m sure you will get some good replies from those experienced with the composter.
Old 11-12-2021, 13:54   #373

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Are composting systems even 1% of those on boats?
Opinion of course, but I put most composting toilet users in the same category as vegans. Not many but like vegans (0.5% of Americans) very loud. *grin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The City of Marathon/Boot Key has 226 moorings and pumps out boats weekly. Plus they pump out boats in the managed anchorage. If you have a composter you have to log emptying it with the office at least monthly. I would say in the last 5 years I have spent 18 months there and have only seen anyone empty their pee bottle into the waste station once.
BKH is one end of the spectrum. Annapolis and surrounding Anne Arundel County may well be at the other end. You may not stay on a City of Annapolis for more than two weeks if you have a composting head and disposal of waste in public waste containers is explicitly illegal. Not defending the regulation just pointing it out.

Incidentally pet waste and diapers are supposed to be double-bagged before going into the waste stream here.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 14:06   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Do you have any questions or just trying to antagonize? If you have questions I’m sure you will get some good replies from those experienced with the composter.

Just ignore him. It's how he operates.
Old 11-12-2021, 14:54   #375
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

“ You may not stay on a City of Annapolis for more than two weeks if you have a composting head and disposal of waste in public waste containers is explicitly illegal.”

Similarly what happened in Georgia..Someone saw something and had position of power as a result Ga. now has anti - anchoring legislation.(Ga. HB 833)
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote