Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2021, 11:58   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Where's the Dometic alcohol stoves?

BTW, some of the "slow" Origo stoves are the result of the wick in the canister getting contaminated with food or impure ethanol. The solution is (and I got this from the designers):
1. Dry to get the alcohol out.
2. Cook-out in an oven at 300F for an hour to boil out any water. Some denatured ethanol is too wet.

3. Flame (propane torch) the grid to burn any food to ash, then sweep off the ash.

You can also get new canisters on eBay.
Old 16-04-2021, 12:27   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I've had several of the origo stoves, and they are great. Extremely well built, easy to install, easy to use, and super safe. I hope they start producing them again. They are an excellent piece of boat gear.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 12:45   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Dometic quit making the Origo alcohol stoves. Any reason why? Not popular? I dont like my propane stove and was going to take it out and put in an alcohol stove.
You will have to import one, but it should then be VAT free which might help to offset the postage:

https://www.compass24.com/comfort/pa...caAqDFEALw_wcB
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 13:35   #19

Boat: Cape Dory 31

It's me again, the owner of an Origo 6000 stove with oven.

A great pity this model is now hard to find. We just love it and the gimbels, combined with the good low counterweight, make it very stable in even the roughest weather.

Should anyone see the stove operate. We'll be in Northeast Harbor, Maine all summer. Float #341. PM us.

Cheers
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 14:11   #20

Boat: Cal 33-2

I've had and used pressurized alcohol, unpressurized alcohol, and propane stoves. The talk that an Origo unpressurized alcohol stove is dangerous is just plain wrong. And while alcohol has a lower heating value than propane, the burners have similar Btu/hr ratings, so speed of boiling water is similar. Just takes a bit more fuel.
Old 16-04-2021, 18:25   #21

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have used, pressurized alcohol, propane, pressurized diesel, and electric. My present stove was totally electric and I didn't like having to start the generator just to fry something so I started using one of the small counter top benzene cookers, but kept looking for other options. A friend of mine said that he used an Origo and loved it, so I found an Origo 3000 on ebay and replaced the top of my electric stove with it. It is great and I use readily available methylhidrate and it cooks great. 9
Lancerbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 18:33   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

“The assets belong to CleanCook. No, I do not think they will retail. “
Thinwater, I found the Cleancook website. Looks like all they wanted of Origo was the fuel canister technology to use in stoves they make for third world countries.
Old 16-04-2021, 21:46   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
“The assets belong to CleanCook. No, I do not think they will retail. “
Thinwater, I found the Cleancook website. Looks like all they wanted of Origo was the fuel canister technology to use in stoves they make for third world countries.

That and some of the air draft design. My understanding, however, is that it was a donation. The OEM business was gone.
Old 16-04-2021, 21:50   #24

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I am really surprised to hear Origo alcohol stoves to be described as dangerous. Insurance problems? Really? Where? Having used both alcohol and propane, propane is fine, rigged right, but I love my Origo stove on my little boat. No need for tubes, solenoids, places for tanks etc. I have a neat and handy way to fill it without spills too.
The most dangerous were the pressurized alcohol versions but that was 40 years ago.
My Origo has no problems and even the kids can handle it and I don't worry. In California, despite rumors to the contrary, alcohol is still available, though more expensive than it used to be.
Anyway, check this thread too:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ed-220131.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 21:55   #25

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You will have to import one, but it should then be VAT free which might help to offset the postage:

https://www.compass24.com/comfort/pa...caAqDFEALw_wcB
Nice to know they are still available, but the price, ouch!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 22:42   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Jim View Post
If a cooking unit is USCG approved then it is safe to use within the parameters issued by the USCG.

Every hydrocarbon cooking fuel has its issues:
pressurized alcohol has flareups
pressurized kerosene has flareups
Evaporation alcohol may be difficult to see burning
Propane may leak into the bilges and be an explosion hazard

The correct approach is to have the correct installation and then follow the instructions.

All of them can kill you if you are careless.
US Code of Federal Regulations Title 33 (for pleasure craft) Makes absolutely no mention of cooking fuels.

US Code of Federal Regulations Title 46 (Passenger carrying vessels) requires LPG and CNG cooking appliances to meet ABYC A-1 (LPG) and A-22 (CNG).
Any other fuel (such as alcohol) requires the specific permission of the Commandant (USCG).
Old 17-04-2021, 01:20   #27

Boat: Island Packet 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I am really surprised to hear Origo alcohol stoves to be described as dangerous. Insurance problems? Really? Where? Having used both alcohol and propane, propane is fine, rigged right, but I love my Origo stove on my little boat. No need for tubes, solenoids, places for tanks etc. I have a neat and handy way to fill it without spills too.
The most dangerous were the pressurized alcohol versions but that was 40 years ago.
My Origo has no problems and even the kids can handle it and I don't worry. In California, despite rumors to the contrary, alcohol is still available, though more expensive than it used to be.
Anyway, check this thread too:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ed-220131.html

THIS.

Thanks. I dont see how one can think a not pressurized alcohol stove is dangerous. But pressurized propane bottles are not.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 04:31   #28

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

I had an Origo on a previous boat. I felt safer than with the kerosene Kenyon it replaced. That is, until it ran out of fuel half way into a batch of spaghetti. Just re-fuel, right? I found out why not quickly. My eye-brows grew back in due time. My shoulder, dis-located in my hasty cabin exit, still bothers me sometimes, 30 years later. Like everything else, they can be safe if used properly. But I didn’t re-call any warnings about re-fueling if other than stone-cold.
Old 17-04-2021, 06:04   #29

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
I had an Origo on a previous boat. I felt safer than with the kerosene Kenyon it replaced. That is, until it ran out of fuel half way into a batch of spaghetti. Just re-fuel, right? I found out why not quickly. My eye-brows grew back in due time. My shoulder, dis-located in my hasty cabin exit, still bothers me sometimes, 30 years later. Like everything else, they can be safe if used properly. But I didn’t re-call any warnings about re-fueling if other than stone-cold.
Ouch!
Hot refueling is also an issue with small gasoline engines where the tank is close to the engine block. Another one that people do not think about is charcoal grills and the starting fluid. A small unseen ember can ignite a second application of fluid faster that the user expects.

I have a single can Origo for the 21', intending on a gimbal mount and a back splash / heat shield combo as the boat does not have standing headroom and a highly (LOL) scientific test with a moka pot coffee maker and a multimeter with a thermocouple saw the ceiling getting a bit warm after a cuppa.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3251210 for the test

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3328544 for the gimbal and cover concept

I hope the CleanCook people will figure out a way to provide the canisters and perhaps even the stoves for people interested in using/maintaining this fuel technology. Their new stoves are not stainless and not intended to be gimballed, they are meant to be lower cost, locally manufactured and/or easier to ship. Maybe a deal where buying one for recreational use also covers another unit for someone in need?
Old 17-04-2021, 06:42   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Nice to know they are still available, but the price, ouch!
You could buy an OEM portable genny and an induction stove for that price.

How much is a canister

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133175350...evt=1&mkcid=28
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stove