Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 14:20   #61

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60
We have 4 SaniMarine electrics and they are great. Use a lot of salt water so the holding tanks fill up fast. If your out and about its not an issue. We discourage flushing foreign objects. If you want one that will suck down a tennis shoe go for a vacu flush system. On a friends boat it scared my daughter so bad I though she would never use the head again. Poor child.
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 21:19   #62

Kind of a crazy question. I really love the idea of these toilets and have heard nothing but great things about them, but I've never seen them in person or seen them in action. My question is, What does one do about any "blowouts" around the inside of the bowl? Obviously, my first thought is that one would have some spray/disinfectant/wipes or something to cleanup after oneself!? I'm kinda laughing as I write this, but how do you guys deal with this, or is it even an issue? Thanks
Muzzey9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 21:32   #63

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Viv has just worked out how to use the Jabsco, so we are keeping it. If it costs me $100 every five years for a new pipe and pump so be it. Just can't see her going for anything that stores and composts poo. And as for that habit of putting loo paper in a bin, yuk what is that about.

Pete
As opposed to something that stores and stores wet poo? And reminds you of that quite often?

Loo paper in the bin is a very common practice in many places. It is rarely done in an offensive way at all. Think, "nothing to see here folks, move along". In my construction office here (Asia), with plenty of professionals. Seriously, nobodys.... DNA sample.... visable or otherwise.
Old 12-08-2010, 22:11   #64

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
With the airhead or natur'e head composters, the toilet paper goes in with the poo and gets mixed and begins to compost before you even dump it out [about every 3 weeks]. I do like mine. But hoo, boy, spendy .... I wish I had gotten Brent Swain's plan and built one. but it's all money down the ... never mind ...
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 13:42   #65

I'm still at a loss with the occasional "blowout" in the composting head! Are guests going to be more turned off with the idea of having to wipe out two holes instead of one? Is this an issue with a compost head? I personally have no problem with it, especially with the idea of plugging up a few more holes below the waterline and saving the headache of dealing with clogged hoses, accidental feminine products lost in the system, holding tanks and the subtle stink marine heads bless us with. Anybody actually use a composting head REGULARLY please enlighten me so I can finally flush this nasty issue!! Thanks
Muzzey9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 14:57   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
As opposed to something that stores and stores wet poo? And reminds you of that quite often? .
Ah, well I have to sheepishly admit at this point we don't have a holding tank, but its on the list, honest. Actually, Holland & UK for sea lakes already have rules as do some of the Southern European countries so its coming.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 15:03   #67
cruiser

I have been using my composter full time for the last couple of years, as I have lived aboard full time for most of the last 40 years. If I had discovered the composter 40 years ago, I would have used nothing but.
No problems.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 15:53   #68

Boat: a sailing boat
I think Tecma sucks. I say so, because I used to fix them. If you guys say it is the best thing around (which it may well be) then I would simply stick with a manual toilet.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 17:39   #69

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Ah, well I have to sheepishly admit at this point we don't have a holding tank, but its on the list, honest. Actually, Holland & UK for sea lakes already have rules as do some of the Southern European countries so its coming.

Pete
I suppose that if your boat came with no holding tank you might be entitled to be a little less sheepish. But the eeewwwww factor is still there for me.

My boat came with a holding tank, installed by some PO. First mod I made was to remove it and the toilet.

It's sort of funny that we can be so repulsed by composed human waste, and yet spend money to buy animal manure to spread on our lawns. Plenty of dairymen and feed lot operators who profiting from that practice.

Being a Yank, I can remember learning in school how frontiersmen (read cowboys) used to throw buffalo chips in the fire. Good fuel. Still a practice in third world countries simply because it works for their situations.

Hummm.... I'm $eeing $omething.... a good thread drift here. Cruiser, bring me your compost and contribute to an up and coming enterprise.
Old 13-08-2010, 17:48   #70

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Cruiser, bring me your compost and contribute to an up and coming enterprise.
You can have ours, but I don't deliver.
Old 14-08-2010, 05:47   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Minggat, I suppose for those heading for high altitude regions of our planet could make little bricks out of it and then burn it to keep warm.

A holding tank is feasible on our Moody as the loo has a we locker which we don't use, so could take say a 50 litre holding tank. Not huge but enough for two of us. However it's a major piece of work and I would want another through hull so on hold for the moment. Certainly I think it will become socially unacceptable in some of the nicer anchorages in the future.

What is worrying is stories from Turkey of grey water from the sink may need to be stored and pumped out in the future.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 08:03   #72
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I only dealt with less-than-brand-new Jabscos - perhaps that's the problem. The repair kits cost more than half a new unit and are worthless. I am a very handy guy (if I do say so) and my experience is that once the first "repair" is made and the pump unit is opened, you might as well pitch the whole thing. It will never again work without spilling liquified s*%t all over the place. For 2.5x as much you can get a Raritan PHII, for example, and save yourself all that trouble.

My $0.02.
my Jabscos are going on 4.5 years old , i rebuilt them about a year ago and are working perfect, and i get 9-10 persons a week living onboard at times- heavy duty use!-no smell-no holding tank
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 05:22   #73

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I would think that electric toilets would be a lot less inclined to clog, due to the fact that they macerate right at the toilet.
- - Not necessarily - The "pure" electric toilets normally have a macerating blade assembly as the first thing in the path. These blades will chop up -most- everything except - old pigeon peas in "Bahamas rice and peas" and other "BB-type" food items that pass right through us but end up getting jammed in the blades.
- - Besides paying attention to the placard next to the toilet that says "Don't put anything in the toilet that you have not eaten first" they need another placard "Don't eat anything that resembles a steel BB or other rock hard petrified food."
- - With the exception of the Lavac vacuum toilets most of the others still have the "joker-valve" somewhere in the exit system so "lime" build-up from using sea water to flush is a forever problem whether you have an electric or manual toilet.
- - I specifically like the marine toilets that have the dual option of a hand crank or an electric motor attachment to "pump" the handle. Best of both worlds - push button electric when you have the juice or hand crank when you do not want to use up your batteries.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 05:30   #74
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
I'd love to hear more about composting toilets. Please keep posting.
Old 15-08-2010, 06:02   #75

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
I'd love to hear more about composting toilets. Please keep posting.
What do you want to know? Here is a lengthy thread about them ...http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ets-33029.html